Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Best Films of the Past 20 Years

Comments

• MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

2005-09. Definitely a good five-year run based on the selections above.

Nice call-out for the fantastic "The Lives of Others." Incredible.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep...absolute fiction about Freddie and about the group in general.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2020

I like military history a lot, so... Blackhawk Down, Zerø Dark Thirty, The Pianist, and Hacksaw Ridge were great films.

Documentary favorite- Searching for Sugarman

Fun / popcorn films - Lord of the Rings, Sing Street, Wedding Crashers, and any Wes Anderson movie.

• law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I could watch Forest Gump over and over. It a movie I always watch when i catch it on TV.

• SavageSavage Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2020

1) Watchmen-this is a must see for any movie buff. Done by one of my fav writer/directors Zach Snider. Set the tone for literally every action movie since...fight moves are copied from that style as much as the Matrix.

2) The Wolf of Wallstreet-its just great & never gets old. Bonus, features the hottest chic ever

3) Fury-I'm fascinated with the history of war & good war movies. This is raw & has an outstanding ensemble cast.

Honorable Mentions

-The Dark Knight- Christopher Nolan, Bale, Heath Ledger...nuff said

-Drive- little know movie starring Ryan Gosling. If you've seen Baby Driver, this is what that movie should've been. Darker, great performances & one movie I've never been able to explain...just see it

• RandomFanRandomFan Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2020

No Scott Pilgrim vs The World? A travesty. Talk about an original concept that also delivers.

And it just happens to be on Netflix right now.

I forgot about Zero Dark Thirty. Outstanding, watched it at least 6 times.

• HipdawgHipdawg Posts: 88 ✭✭✭ Junior

The Royal Tenenbaums is one of the best Anderson films that deserves some kudos.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Something about Mary" -- a favorite.

Definitely an all-time great, but released in 1998. Time flies!

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hell or High Water

3 billboards outside of Ebbing Missouri

Both are underrated imho..

I love No Country for Old Men. I'm a big Cormac McCarthy fan. The book was a little more from the side of the Sheriff.

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’ve started going through this list and watching those I’ve not seen.

So Far:

• The Master
    • The Lives of Others

Will continue to update as I work through them.

• DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A few of my favorites. Some already mentioned, others not.

2005 - Munich. One of the best films I've seen. When I went to the theater, I had no idea what the movie was about other than the Munich games tie in.

2006 - The Lives of Others. Best Foreign Film. Would suggest reading John Koehler's Stasi either before or after seeing this film.

2007 - Weak year for movies IMO so I will go with 300.

2008 - May have been the best year for movies in the past 20 years. Felt like I was at the theater every week. Too many to list but it's worth a shot. Dark Knight, Slumdog, Reader, Wrestler, Hurt Locker Iron Man. If I had to pick a favorite, Gran Torino. Eastwood at his finest late in his career. Underrated - Adventureland. Very good cast. And Lisa P.

2009 - Hangover. I never cried so hard laughing in a theater during a movie. Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart deserved the Oscar.

2010 - Kings Speech. Firth with an Oscar worthy stammer. Social Network was a close 2nd.

• NOVADAWGNOVADAWG Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hell or High Water was another that flew under the radar.

I noted Lives of Others as one of my favorite films of all time. @Steve_Zissou listed The Master as one of his. (I love P.T. Anderson but I'm partial to Magnolia.)

Good list! Bonus points for Adventureland. And Lisa P. (Played by the beautiful actress Margarita Levieva, who is perhaps better known for her lead role in the HBO series The Deuce.)

Comedy & Action Awards

Deadpool 1 & 2. If you've seen them you get it. If you haven't, watch em, you won't be disappointed

John Wick Chapter 2. A nonstop turbo charged powder keg of asskickery. Turn your brain off & enjoy the carnage

Seth McFarland films. Ted 1 & 2 and the funniest movie most people haven't heard of A Million Ways To Die In The West. He's a comedic genius and the best thing going outside of Apatow films

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2020

2001 - Donnie Darko

Under the radar:

2005 - Adams Apples (foreign, dark comedy)

2007 - Arn: Knight Templar (foreign, historical drama)

2005 - (Action) The Protector (foreign, marshal arts) Stars Tony Jaa from the Ong Bak series.

2003 - (Drama) The United States of Leland

2005 - (Drama) The Chumscrubber

2010 - (Action) Muay Thai Warrior

I’m not so much into martial arts movies but the two listed here are “above and beyond” for me. Can’t go wrong with any from the Ip Man or Ong Bak movies either.