Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Best Films of the Past 20 Years

Comments

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Noel Devine had the best film I’ve ever seen.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    KnoxDawg865KnoxDawg865 Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

Obviously none of you have seen The Human Centipede.

• Options
    edited February 2020
  • Options
    MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Really like your favorites for 2010-14 @AnotherDawg. A few others that I'd add on to the lists for those years:

Margin Call (2011). Compelling, tense, tight story. Terrific acting.

Before Midnight (2013). I'm a big Linklater fan and really enjoyed this series. Each of these movies and the main characters (and their faults) seem really authentic to me.

Grand Budapest Hotel (2014). Seems you're either a fan of Wes Anderson or you're not. I am. Thought this one was great. Fantastically designed, charming, moving, and, of course, highly amusing.

• Options
    NOVADAWGNOVADAWG Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree 100% on Casablanca. I only recently realized this film was released while the war was still raging across Europe. Can't imagine the scene inside theaters when La Marseillaise scene was played.

I got to visit the city of Casablanca last year and had dinner at the tribute Rick's Café. If interested, you can read my impressions of it here - https://railstales.com/2019/03/10/as-time-goes-by-in-casablanca/

"Round up the usual suspects!"

• Options
    razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Reading the films on the list from the last 5 years was borderline depressing! Lol

Feels like there have been some incredible individual performances - Phoenix absolutely crushed his performance in Joker even though the movie itself was just OK - but not a ton of compelling films. Loved Once Upon A Time in Hollywood and really thought it might have been the classic Oscar career-achievement makeup call the academy voters often like to select (ie - for Tarantino, even a screenwriting Oscar if not director); but was glad to see PItt get the best supporting nod.

Really didn’t understand the fascination with Parasite...1917 wasn’t perfect but felt it was more Best Picture material than Parasite

Then again - history is filled of great pictures and performances NOT winning. Pacino was excellent in Glengarry Glen Ross in 1992, but you honestly could have nominated and/or awarded the best supporting actor to Jack Lemmon, Ed Harris or Alec Baldwin (and I’m leaving off Kevin Spacey, Alan Arkin & Jonathan Pryce from that film, too).

Gene Hackman (winner, in Unforgiven) and Nicholson (Few Good Men) were nominees in that category too and deservedly so...but really speaks to the depth of quality performances/films we enjoyed regularly not that long ago.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So many great lines in that movie.

"What is he like?" "Like any other man, only more so."

"I came here for the waters." "There's no water. We're in the desert." "Oh, I was misinformed."

"Here's looking at you, kid."

"I'm shocked! Shocked to find out there is gambling going on in here." "Here are your winnings, sir." "Oh, thank you very much."

• Options
    TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“What’s your nationality?” I’m a drunk ard.

Plus, the famous line most everyone quotes is never actually said! (Play it again Sam).

Which is similar to a Munson misquote I’ve heard many time “Run Lindsay Run!” - Munson didn’t say this either during the 93 yard catch and run to beat Florida!!!

• Options
    EastAtlDawgEastAtlDawg Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wolf of Wall Street..

• Options
    USADawgUSADawg Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

2004 - Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

Lots of Ferrell movies that I don’t like, but I will never not turn the channel to this one, much to my wife’s dismay. I laugh hard every time I see it.

• Options
    RandomFanRandomFan Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree. A few of my favorites not mentioned.

"Where were you last night?" "That's so long ago, I don't remember." "Will I see you tonight?" " I never make plans that far ahead."

"How extravagant you are, throwing away women like that." "Some day, they may be scarce."

• Options
    HuckleberryHuckleberry Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2.

• Options
    HipdawgHipdawg Posts: 88 ✭✭✭ Junior

Oh snap, No Country for Old Men was the most intense movie in a long, long time. It made me feel sick , I guess because how realistic the subject matter was portrayed and how creepy the vilian was. Every scene was great except for the ending .

• Options
    Steve_ZissouSteve_Zissou Posts: 307 ✭✭✭ Junior

“The Master” is probably my favorite of the last 10

“All the real Girls” is probably my favorite of the last 20

”Lebowski” favorite of the last 25. I’ve probably seen it 89 times

• Options
    edited March 2020

OK, here's Part III of IV: Best Pictures, Blockbusters, Favorites, and Notable Films, 2005-2009.

First, a couple of corrections from my last post. I mistakenly mentioned Jonah Hill as Jonah Goldberg, which I'm quite certain he wouldn't be happy about. Also, I included Whiplash in both the 2014 & 2015 lists. If you catch any errors below, large or small, feel free to point them out.

Best Picture: The Hurt Locker

Top grossing film: Avatar

My favorite: Inglourious Basterds

Honorable mention: Crazy Heart, Duplicity, An Education, The Hangover, Up in the Air, Up

Comments: A good year for film. If you're a fan of small movies, An Education is beautiful and heart breaking, with great lead performances from Carey Mulligan and Peter Sarsgaard.

-------

Best Picture: Slumdog Millionaire

Top grossing film: The Dark Knight

My favorite: In Bruges

Honorable mention: Iron Man, Kung Fu Panda

Comments: If there are still any W00dy Allen fans out there, Vicky Cristina Barcelona is pretty good. Not a classic, but worth watching. Then again, anything with Penélope Cruz and Scarlett Johansson is worth watching.

-------

Best Picture: No Country for Old Men

Top grossing film: Spider Man 3

My favorite: Michael Clayton

Honorable mention: Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, The Bourne Ultimatum, Gone Baby Gone, There Will Be Blood

Comments: Michael Clayton features George Clooney in arguably his best role, plus memorable performances from Tom Wilkinson, Tilda Swinton and Sydney Pollack. Written and directed by the brilliant Tony Gilroy.

-------

Best Picture: The Departed

Top grossing film: Pirates of the Caribbean- Dead Man's Chest

My favorite: United 93

Honorable mention: Apocalypto, Borat, Pan's Labyrinth, The Prestige, The Queen, Talladega Nights

Comments: Also released in 2006, The Lives of Others, about the last days of East Germany under the Stasi, is the best foreign language film I've ever seen. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

-------

Best Picture: Crash

Top grossing film: Star Wars Ep. III- Revenge of the Sith

My favorite: Wedding Crashers

Honorable mention: Batman Begins, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Walk the Line

Comments: Given the alternatives, this seemed like a good year to recognize a comedy, and Wedding Crashers is certainly worthy. Great performances across the board: Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn in the lead roles, Rachel McAdams and Isla Fisher as their love interests, plus a supporting cast that included Bradley Cooper, Jane "Kitty Kat" Seymour, Will Ferrell, and the great Christopher Walken.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

I saw Wedding Crashers four times the week it came out. One of my best friends was getting married the same week which probably led to some of it. My only complaint is in the latter half the movie gets a little lazy when the gay brother and Vince Vaughn have their scene. Everything after is a little too forced.

Still fantastic though and still makes me laugh