Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Pray for John Prine.

dawgdude65dawgdude65 Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

One of America's greatest singers has come down with the caronavirus. John Prine is a national treasure. Please pray for him and everyone else who has the virus.

Comments

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks just listened to Hello in There

• Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What a huge American voice. What are some of your favorites? Here are a few of mine:

"Blue Umbrella"

"Speed of the Sound of Loneliness"

I loved when he joined up with Bonnie Raitt in "Angel from Montgomery"

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My favorite is "Sam Stone", it spoke to me in darker times. "Illegal Smile" is pretty good too.

• DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Sweet Revenge" and "Common Sense" two of John's works that top my list and never get old listening to.

• TuckyDawgTuckyDawg Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love Paradise. Muhlenburg County is right up the road from here.

• tosteen815tosteen815 Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

So many to mention, and agree with the ones already above ... but.......Spanish Pipedream, Please Don't Bury Me, Great Compromise. Paradise is a great one.

Praying and pulling for John!!

• CLT_DawgCLT_Dawg Posts: 52 ✭✭✭ Junior

Big fan of John Prine, especially Angel from Montgomery (agree that the version with Bonnie Raitt is better; she is awesome, and his voice was less twangy and had more richness and character by then), In Spite of Ourselves, and more recently, Summer's End (if you haven't heard that one, I highly recommend it). Great lyrics, voice, and phrasing.

• DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Iris Dement and John Prine singing In Spite of Ourselves.

• TuckyDawgTuckyDawg Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sone of has been reclaimed, but the scars will be there forever. They got the largest shovel machine ever built, and they are still taking coal out of there by the train load.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In Spite of Ourselves is the song I tell my wife represents us best

• DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2020

This post brought back a favorite Prine moment which happened for me back in 1987. Hot off a recording deal, Lyle Lovett opened for him at the old Center Stage in Atlanta. Lovett played an extraordinary set with nothing accompanying him but an Irishman on Cello. Prine followed and at the end of the night invited Lovett out for a duet. In the middle of the song Lyle promptly forgot the lyrics to Angel from Montgomery which tickled Prine all the way to the encore.

Prayers up for Mr Prine, he's a national treasure, especially to those of us that appreciate the music of America.

• BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Reclaiming and scars. Connecting to the authenticity of the lyrics.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Rest In Peace Mr. Prine

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The wife and I honored him by pausing Ozarks and listening to our song "in spite of ourselves" by Mr. Prine last night when the news broke. RIP

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2020

Just poured a v o d k a and ginger ale and listened to "When I get to Heaven"...I wanted to smile, and it worked.

RIP John Prine

• pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2020

My son's wife produces promotional/marketing videos and books talent for a cruise ship company. JP had done a bunch of their cruises. She knew JP and his wife/manager very well and considered them friends. She's very broken up about this.

As someone who has absolutely zero talent(but has been around a lot of it), this guy was a rare talent and a national treasure.

RIP

edit: And thank you for all of it

• TxDawg412TxDawg412 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭ Junior

RIP John Prine 🙏. Thank you sir.

• Steve_ZissouSteve_Zissou Posts: 307 ✭✭✭ Junior

Many DawgNation posters could learn a lesson from Mr. Prine

But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore 

They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war 

Now Jesus don't like killin', no matter what the reason's for 

And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore…