Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Rugby Discussion

NomadDawgNomadDawg Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Realized I was blowing up the Zach Evans chat and disappointing those still holding out hope. Curious how many in DN played, currently play, or enjoy watching rugby and what tournaments they've gone to in the past as fans/players. There is a giant facebook group blowing up right now called "Quarantined Chuggers for Qualfied Ruggers" that was entertaining, but a lot of volume. Good idea to kill the quarantine blues though.

@Casanova_Flatulence @bmauldin

Comments

• NomadDawgNomadDawg Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kicking off, as a player, I always enjoyed the Pitch a Tent 7s up in Chattanooga and the Savannah St Patty's Tournament. Want to make it to Maggotfest at some point and get up to that Alaskan field just for the scenery. Overseas, Manila 10s was a great one for partying. Cambodia 10s was fun, but not quite on the same level.

As a fan, the Dubai leg of the 7s series was a blast, but I definitely want to make it to the HK 7s at some point. Mentioned elsewhere, but Wales for a 6 Nations game is a bucket list experience. Need to get to South Africa for a game as well. During the 2019 RWC, I noticed a game up in the mountains that had spectacular scenery (Kamaishi, I think), and now want to pick out a game in France for the 2023 RWC purely for the in game view (in addition to games worth attending for the onfield play).

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The group of guys I go to 6 Nations and World Cup events to are contemplating our 2021 trip. Some have suggested going to see The Lions in South Africa. Hong Kong for the 7's Championship is suppose to be amazing too. I'm kind of pulling for a Heineken Cup match in France.

Three years ago I went to see France vs England in Paris. That was unreal. Hearing the French National Anthem live in Paris was something I'll never forget... made an even bigger impression than the Welsh Anthem in Cardiff and that's saying something.

• mantis_toboggan69mantis_toboggan69 Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • OdinOdin Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I took a semester abroad back in the late 80's. Australian Football seems to punk rugby IMO. Not saying your game isn't great, but saying...............DV's expected.

Why isn't the USA better at Rugby with all the athlete's available? Just like USA Men's soccer?

• how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hmmmmm seen any little league or even high school rugby team's around?

• jc30116jc30116 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2020

I ask the same thing about cricket with all the great baseball players we have here. Aussie rules is a up there with rugby but it is easier to understand. Caught a lot when I was in Australia of both.

• southafricandawgsouthafricandawg Posts: 113 ✭✭✭ Junior

I was born and raised in South Africa, we invest a lot into rugby and cricket (hence why we are good) but if everything was equal USA would put together a team that could destroy any competitors. Just follow the money. A lot more money in the

NBA

NCAA

NFL

NHL

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I saw high school rugby in Sacramento in the mid-1980s

• MrTyMrTy Posts: 119 ✭✭✭ Junior

Glad you started this. Interrupting the Zach Evans thread with rugby would just not do.

Money and competition.

As others mentioned, money isn't there yet, in fact the organization to generate money isn't even there as USA Rugby is now declaring bankruptcy (there are a lot of issues they need to work out internally). There are a lot of reasons people use for this (game doesn't have built-in breaks to generate ad revenue, rules are confusing and stations won't carry even top games, etc) but I won't dive into money issues now.

Competition isn't there because rugby isn't an ingrained American sport. People typically pick it up late in high school or college, often as a secondary sport to others they've played in the past. Huge generalization, but the best rugby players historically are ones that didn't continue on with their first sport for a variety of reasons. Overseas, people eat, breath, sleep rugby. Whereas we may play and tune in to two or three other sports, overseas players/fans had played since they could hold a ball and were watching every game on tv. US rugby knowledge just isn't on the same level to begin with because interest isn't there. Add to the fact that every good national team has a great club system whereas the US is fighting to maintain one. Professional Rugby Organization (PRO) lasted only a season and Major League Rugby (MLR) just lost one of its better clubs. Imagine a talent pool of players that had only every played the Samfords of the CFB world trying to take on UGA or Alabama once a year, that's USA rugby, essentially.

Quick follow up on the club issue, the US also has problems getting outside talent to come compete. Players can generally compete for a spot on a national team after 3 years of residency, time which they typically spend with a country's club teams. You'll notice a lot of islanders playing for New Zealand and Japan, and a lot of New Zealanders playing for France. It's tougher to recruit a player with international hopes to come to the US and play on their own dime (mostly) for three years. Countries with good club systems help foster competition for those few spots.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not sure what to make of this thread, but I will say that a few of my friends played club rugby when we were at Georgia, and they absolutely loved it. I played IM football, basketball, and softball, but if I had it to do over I think I would have joined those guys. At the time I just didn't know anything about it.

On a related note, I really liked Clint Eastwood's rugby film "Invictus." That's another one that should have gotten a mention in the Best Films of the Past 20 Years thread.

edited April 2020

Kasey touched on a significant reason why USA Rugby Union is not more competitive on the international stage. However, the USA Rugby 7's team is quite successful and won international championships.

Here are my list of reasons why I believe Rugby isn't more popular and thus successful in the USA.

1. Television exposure - The United States has only recently developed a professional league that's being televised on CBS Sports. It still needs more marketing and dollars to prop up the league. Need ESPN to get involved.
    2. Financial - To draw the type of athletes we need to compete on a global level and more importantly to lure guys away from football, salaries must be compelling. Moreover, national players must work together more frequently. Most international players are working with their teammates throughout the year - that practice time is critically important.
    3. Rules - The average viewer has a hard time grasping all the complex rules. The Ref camera helps, because he's explaining things to the players on the field, but still those not familiar with the game struggle to understand the difference between a Scrum, Ruck and Maul and how penalties appear to be applied differently.
    4. Competition with other sports that are popular in the U.S. It's also hard for youth rugby teams to get access to football fields, because High School coaches realize these teams are competing for the same type of players and resources.
  • oddsbodkinoddsbodkin Posts: 176 ✭✭✭ Junior

Rugby should be a spring game in the US played in football stadiums.

If I were appointed U.S.A. Rugby Czar I'd start professional league play in March, coinciding with the end of 6 Nations Tour when interest is high. I think the current season runs about 10 weeks, which is fine.