Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

If chip Kelly goes to UF

jt200jt200 Posts: 47 ✭✭ Sophomore

With the right recruits that would be real dangerous i must admit haven’t seen no one say nothing so just wondering how anybody else felt

Comments

• bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Chip is not a good recruiter and his style of play will not work in the SEC he's not coming. If he does the defenses and run games will destroy him. I'm more worried about taggert frost norvell etc

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I am not worried about chip Kelly at UF, in fact I would welcome it. It's an offense scheme change over the last three years which means it would be at least a two year rebuild, maybe a three year. He doesn't like recruiting, and has never been good at it. He probably won't have to be at Florida, to eventually have a decent offense. If he wants a championship defense though, he will need to be good at recruiting.

Chip Kelly is dining out on these Oregon teams who played no one in the Pac 12 and STILL only got to one championship game. If he goes to Florida we should be ecstatic

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He, Mike Leach and Mike Gundy are the only coaches that I think are a worse fit than Jim Mc at Florida.... They are definitely square pegs.

@bmauldin said:
    He, Mike Leach and Mike Gundy are the only coaches that I think are a worse fit than Jim Mc at Florida.... They are definitely square pegs.

another good point. He's not a cuddly, gregarious guy. He doesn't have the charisma of a Spurrier or a Meyer so it's going to be tough sledding for him. Scott Frost would concern me, although it would take him time to rebuild. He's young, hungry, and Florida is the kind of job that could be a final stop/career making type of place. For Chip Kelly, it's a paycheck

• DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Chip Kelly doesn't concern me too much. His track record coaching up NFL talent is abysmal. If you look at his time at Oregon, he didn't recruit and send many big names into the NFL outside of Mariota and Blount. If I'm a recruit considering Florida, I'm not sure Chip Kelly could get me drafted into the NFL or coach me up to a higher draft position by enhancing NFL skill sets.

• KingoftheSouthKingoftheSouth Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2017

So I've driven the "Chip Kelly doesnt like recruiting" bus before because it's true, however, I think it's become too big of a deal. Will Muschamp isn't an awesome recruiter and he did fine at UF. Butch Jones is a lying asshole and he did well recruiting at UT. Your HC doesn't inherently have to be a dominant recruiter, they need to be able to seal the deal when the rest of the staff has put in all of the legwork. He recruited well enough at Oregon to reach BCS bowl games. Oregon, look it up on a map, there's not a great recruit within 500 miles (you get might point even if not 100% true).

Putting Kelly in the part of the country that puts unequivocally the fastest football players in his backyard is a dangerous proposition. If someone would like to draw it up how Kelly's offense "won't work" in the SEC I'll be happy to listen. Until then, I've seen his offense put up 40-50 points against good teams and I think he would make UF as dangerous as they've been since Meyer left.

• DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@KingoftheSouth It's not that Kelly's offense won't work in the SEC. I'm sure he will have some success with it. But, you have to remember that not many programs were running his style of offense with the success that he had at Oregon back in 2009. Advantage Chip Kelly. Now many, if not most, of the major FBS schools run some version of his offense including programs within the SEC. His offense isn't a novelty anymore. It's just another scheme that will show up on your schedule along with 3 or 4 other teams for the year.

As for Kelly's recruiting success at Oregon, I believe Phil Knight and Nike had significant influence on recruits coming to Eugene during his time there.

Honestly i haven't seen anyone run it quite like Chip. Hell, his #1 assistant Helfrich couldn't duplicate it in the exact same situation with Chips players.

Chip is an offensive genius. Sure his NFL record wasn't impressive, but neither was Spurriers. I'm just hoping he doesn't want to live in Gainesville.

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kelly would have no trouble at all finding players within a few hrs of Gainesville that would love to play in that offense. The trick would be to pair it with a dominant defense. He won a lot of games at Oregon 55-42 or 48-37. I don't think you can do that week in/week out in the SEC. Have to have the defense to put with it.

That said, I think Kelly fits what Florida "wants" to be. They want to be Spurrier's Fun 'n' Gun lighting up the scoreboard and offensively intimidating opponents. Even in Muschamp's first couple of yrs when they were winning with one of the stoutest D's in the country their fans weren't happy. They wanted more offense, even though they went 11-1 in 2012 with their only loss being a slugfest with us.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Didn't spurrier say here while back that Florida's next coach was currently still coaching his team? Or something to that affect.

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BamaDawg said:
    Didn't spurrier say here while back that Florida's next coach was currently still coaching his team? Or something to that affect.

Spurrier technically has no say in the hire of the coach though.

@BamaDawg said:

I read Spurrier does want Norvell or Frost. The AD is the one pushing for Kelly though.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Keep in mind that this guy dominated the P10/12 when they were the worst conference in the nation. Both Washington schools wer terrible, Stanford was rising, but not great and USC was In the middle of massive NCAA sanctions and bowl bans. Not sure he is a threat to Bama, Auburn, LSU, and UGA.

• thehutch40thehutch40 Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

UCLA writers are saying Kelly is going to be their new coach.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Chip Kelly should concern the Golden Corral in Gainesville, not Dawg fans.

If Chip Kelly spurns Florida I’m guessing Scott Frost is next man up?

• bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It looks as though Frost is already Nebraska's new coach?

• thehutch40thehutch40 Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@bigdawg2223 said:
    It looks as though Frost is already Nebraska's new coach?

I hope he ends up there.

The longer Florida waits for a coach the better imo