Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Bad Look for Dabo

Comments

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“Hey look. Someone doesn’t agree with me...let’s cancel him”.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I don’t think Chubba was calling for Gundy’s head. Just like Marvin Wilson wasn’t calling for Mike Norvel’s, and no one was calling for Kirk Ferentz’s, he probably wants a discussion and since he can’t get paid or anything, all he has is his voice to use. We are cool with freedom of speech right?

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

this gives it some context. OAN is to the right of Fox News.

seconded on wearing plain tshirts. If only the coaches could find some kind of store like academy or dicks that could provide them with team apparel to wear

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2020

I gave that as an example to show this isn't about Gundy having a different political ideology from many of his players as another poster suggested. The players know Gundy is very conservative and often criticizes "liberalism", but none of his players have tried to "cancel" him over that.

OAN pushed a crazy conspiracy theory about the old man from Buffalo who suffered a fractured skull and brain damage at the hands of police to justify police brutality. I'm assuming this is why Chuba is mad, but OAN has published lots of crazy things. The Buffalo man is just the latest nonsense.

There is a limit for tolerating the intolerant, and Chuba probably draws that line at supporting police brutality. He's leveraging his status as an All-American running back by threatening not to play to resolve the situation. What else can he do to force a conversation? Gundy can address the team and find out why that shirt upset them and have a conversation about how his political views don't affect his support of them as people in society and give a public statement disavowing whatever view his players thought he was endorsing with that shirt. Probably police brutality. That's all the players likely want. I mean seriously would it kill him to tweet racism and police brutality are bad? I think most people agree on those things.

Gundy isn't known to say or do smart things in front of cameras.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seriously... I have been teaching/coaching at the same place for 15 years. 95% of my wardrobe is just school gear - period. Any other t-shirt I own came out of a plastic package. He's coached at OSU forever. How does he own anything else? My man makes millions of dollars a year. It's a good gig - why would you mess it up. They let you have a freakin' mullet and keep your job. Don't wear your personal t-shirts ANY PLACE where you can be photographed. Kyrie wears Flat Earth t-shirts all the time around the house, but he leaves them at home...

On a side note - my Academy and Dicks ONLY SELLS orange or garnet stuff. It is really, really annoying. The color orange doesn't enter my home, much less end up on me. It is IMPOSSIBLE for me to find good, simple UGA stuff here. If anyone sees any XXXL Dawg stuff that is simple and RED, please have it shipped this way. Any political or news stuff will be used as kindling immediately...

It has the potential be a great learning and growing moment for everyone involved, but it could turn into another partisan battle in the ongoing culture war. I'm hoping for the former.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

So should we edit Gundy's name in the OP's title too?

Asking for a friend or maybe not.....

That's a fair criticism, and I agree in personal situations you should always try to handle it internally before going public. Airing dirty laundry and all that. I think a difference here is that this was already out in the social media world and maybe the players wanted to signal they didn't support it to avoid a being silent is complicit situation.

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2020

RB1 can sit this year and head to the NFL. It’s RB1s choice. Gundy isn’t caring about any of the (obviously) contrary beliefs he has.

Chances are RB1s beliefs are just as “crazy”. Many of our left leaning guys here believe the Pres was a deep plant KGB agent because “their” News pushed it for 2 years before it magically disappeared.