Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Born to fish...

GradyDawg85GradyDawg85 Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Those who were, know the rest of that phrase.

The practice/passion comes up every now and then in various threads here; the “brag” string @texdawg started earlier this year where @Savage posted the MARTA bus sized bow and brown he landed (I still see those fish in my dreams). Most recently when Savage again brought up thinking about asking another DawgNation brother/sister to go fly fishing.

But, I don’t know if there’s been a dedicated off topic thread to the craft/addiction of bringing fish to hand.

Thus, this one.

I’m thinkin we can talk about where you fish most? For what species? Where do you long to fish? Why do you fish? What’s biting now? Let folks know if you’re looking to for someone to fish with. Whatever, and yeah, maybe a bit of story tellin’.

If so, let’s go. If not, no worries and tight lines to all and Go Dawgs!

Comments

• Mia_Dade06Mia_Dade06 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All of Florida , Mahi mahi , Tuna, redfish , cobia , kingfish to name a few . Mahi are running through south Florida and the Keys right now. Lots and lots of fish out there

• OdinOdin Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Love the pics. Fishing is my get away. Love both salt and fresh water fishing. I go every day I can. Pisses my girl off, whatever........

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Catfish. Good eatin size.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

True fish story. When I was a young man an older buddy, Lou, suggested that we go deep-sea fishing. I had never been out in the high seas. We drove to the coast the night before and then at 5 am ate sausage and hash browns before boarding the charter.

Lou spent three WWII years as a mechanic on a ship in the Pacific. Greasy breakfast no big deal. 50 miles out we started pulling in black bass.

I felt bad and was heaving but kept fishing.

Fellow fisherman were understanding but when the wind picked up one asked if I could lean out a little further as I heave.

After a long, long day it was drizzling and errbody Was inside on the way back except for me and a young lady who also felt bad. Kinda romantic in a weird way, just the two of us On deck, feeling bad and alone in the rain.

Fast forward many years and my teenage son and I are going out from Cape May for his first trip. I advise against eating last night’s pizza for breakfast, sharing some of my story above. Why would a teenage son listen to Dad? History repeats except we were not catching many fish.

• DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was out in Pennsylvania last week pond fishing. Got a few nice sized bass. My 2.5 year old daughter was able to help reel one in with me.

One of my favorite YouTube Fishing Channels is a Dawg Fan: https://www.youtube.com/user/flukemstr

• GradyDawg85GradyDawg85 Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great posts, stories, pics and stringers!

I’ll cast into a rain puddle if I think it’s holding fish. Metro Hooch from Jones Bridge and down is where I go most, trying to go exclusively fly- best to date shown. Goal for the summer is a striper on a fly below Morgan Falls dam. Also love inshore/nearshore fishing, mostly around St. George Island, (once “accidentally” hooked a 80 lb tarpon on a 5.5’ rod with 10 lb test - best 5 seconds of my life) but will be learning the Pensacola area as in-laws retired there. One of my best trips ever was for Rockfish in the Chesapeake with my Dad. Planning to take him this fall, hopefully he can hook up a citation fish.

So many of my memories and friendships include fishing, I can’t imagine it not being part of those or my life.

Go Dawgs!

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love to float the clean waters of the ‘hooch between Buford Dam and Morgan Falls with a fly rod and a cooler of beer in tow. There are some monster browns in those waters, and the seasonal stocked rainbows are pretty good table fare People scoff at eating a fish out of the ‘hooch, but up there the water is actually too clean for a healthy fishery, and the fish have only been in the water a matter of days to a few months.

I also have a flats boat and enjoy few things more than the surface disruption when a gator trout hits a super spook on a calm day. I’m right handed but fish a left handed baitcaster because of the endurance needed to walk the dog for hours on end with the rod tip. I pretty much only fish three lures - topwater spook, new penny paddletail minnow on a jighead, or a pearl fluke rigged weedless. If you can’t catch ‘em with that combo then they just aren’t there.

Lately I’ve been hitting the pond at the hunting camp in my kayak with a 3wt fly rod. Makes catching bluegills a hoot.

@Bankwalker - do you float the upper hooch in a tube, kayak/canoe or just find shoals you can get to and wade?

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Rockfish in the Chesapeake? I caught one so fat I thought ‘how did I catch a pregnant fish in Rocktober? When we cleaned them my ‘pregnant’ fish had swallowed a fish just a little smaller than it was.

Since you are only allowed two I was relieved that no game warden came by asking why I had three.

edited June 2020

I have tubes and kayaks. They both have advantages and disadvantages. A lot depends on how much time I have. You can cover some ground in a kayak but you can only go so fast in a tube.

In a kayak, flipping and losing gear is always a possibility, although I’ve lost plenty of gear in a tube by taking too much stuff. The best part about a kayak is being able to go back upstream to hit the same hole again, and also to get yourself unhung - and you will get hung up a lot dragging nymphs. You can also put in and take out in the same place, but you aren’t doing so at Buford Dam. The water is too swift for me to do that.

Fishing a shoal in a tube is a lot easier because of how fast you travel in a kayak. If you want to fish a shoal then you can usually pull up on a rock. Same thing with a float tube, although you can also plant your feet and stay in the tube, in certain areas. Another nice thing about a kayak is if a thunderstorm pops up on you. 1. I don’t know of anyone who has been hit by lightning in a plastic boat, and 2. you can paddle on ahead if needed.

Jones Bridge to Holcomb Bridge is my favorite stretch. Lots of good water to fish, but mostly rainbows. The big browns are further North. If you ever go thru that section and get out at. Holcomb Br, make sure you go under the bridge on the left and then work hard to get over to the right. It’s a muddy take out. I’ve done it by myself in a tube with a duffle and garbage bags. Clip it to the tube with a carabiner. I deflate the tube and pack up my waders and wet stuff in garbage bags and then stuff it in the duffle. From there you call an Uber to take you back to the park on the Barnwell side.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So...

I don't get to fish much. Grew up John boat fishing on farm ponds.

Now, I only get to fish when my family goes on spring break to the in-laws place on a golf course at the beach.

It is not a successful week unless I get kicked off the golf course at least once for fishing in the ponds... Light tackle and 2-3 lb bass is great fun...

• DawgBiscuitDawgBiscuit Posts: 480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some of the best fishN' and eatN' fish for me are: Halibut, Red Snapper, Red Drum, Spotted Sea Trout. For fresh water, my favorites are Walleye and any Trout species :)

Spotted sea trout = nonexistent.

Speckled trout, imo.

Halibut are in Alaska. Cold waters.

• jc30116jc30116 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I do most of my fishing in the Maumee River at home. Catch catfish and walleye out of there mostly. If I am in Georgia, I will fish a Georgia Power lake close to where I grew up. Pulled lots of 20lb plus cats out of that lake. Love the fight they put up but always throw the ones 10 lbs and over back.

@Bankwalker - I tried a tube, still have it, but fish by kayak exclusively these days. Switched to a stand up yak when I switched to fly, so much better. Jones B (Fulton side) to Garrard Landing (Holcomb Br) is one of my favorite stretches, too; that’s where I caught the rainbow I posted. Have seen and missed others larger above the bend approaching Rivermont. But you’re right about the takeout at Garrard, that uphill takeout is a bear. Almost makes you want to keep going to Island Ford!

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2020

Fishing in Land o'lakes, Wi for small mouth in the early 60's with our Zebco's. And getting a bite on every 2nd or 3rd cast from a dock. And every fish was a keeper.

Fishing for Lake Trout, Walleye, and Northen Pike in Flin Flon, Mb in the 70's. One of the lakes we fished, we were about 10 feet from a rock wall and we were in about 90 feet of water. Crazy.

In-shore fishing near one of the barrier islands east of Savannah. Fishing for redfish in about 12-18" of water. And Redfish is some of the best tasting fish too; same for all salt-water species IMO

Fishing for sea trout (?) off the coast of Crystal River, Fl.

• njdawg81njdawg81 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Don't get to go nearly as much as I'd like to - but I love to when I can.

This is from a pond in PA;