Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• CondorFactsCondorFacts Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited June 2020

I suppose this will likely help more, as most people are more visually stimulated. The graph is not mine.

Edit: Bear in mind, the hospitalization numbers continued to rise for 3 weeks after they "locked down" NYC. Doubt anyone knows for sure right now if the deaths are going to follow or not. So many variables, it's impossible to know. It will happen or it wont.

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, I guess I heard wrong. Thanks for the info. Good graph.

• CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fleming,

I can't speak for the media, I can only speak for me.

I don't give any protestor who isn't wearing a mask a pass. Period. I don't give anyone who is a public figure who isn't advocating a mask a pass. Period.

In terms of a governor, I would say that any governor who helps his/her state's economy be strong and the response to the virus be strong is good in my book. And, I personally believe that enforcing mask wearing helps businesses. It certainly helps mine. I have been puzzled by this economy or virus argument because to me, stopping the virus is the most important issue facing businesses in 2020. Again, I can only speak for me, but I don't give any politician from any party more benefit of the doubt or more criticism. Do what I ask above, and you get my praise. Don't, and I'll call that person out for being ****. And if I call 10 Republicans **** and 10 Democrats great, fine. If I call 10 Democrats **** and 10 Republicans great, fine. Just give me a serious response to the virus so that businesses can thrive in 2020 and I will be happy and party has zero relevance on this for me.

• flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That is what I find interesting. Florida is supposed to be the new hotspot and my wife is a RN in a Jacksonville area hospital. Right now they have 6 positive cases admitted and only 1 in ICU. Friends in the area say about the same in other hospitals. Respiratory Therapists staying home on-call. Where are these hospitals that are being overrun? If this chart about % occupancy was right you would think at least one in Jacksonville would be shipping patients to another. I still don't know anyone personally that has tested positive and my Mom is in an assisted living facility that 3 tested positive but never had severe symptoms. I don't know any of the 3 personally was just told by the Director that the 3 were there.

• flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Again, all I was saying don't blame the Governor if you go into a crowded bar and get infected. Like don't blame Budweiser if you get a beer gut.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Early on in this, testing was limited in NE (NY in particular) where most of the deaths were being reported. This meant that tests were being conducted on those with severe symptoms to decide whether or not to admit to hospital. Consequently in my projections I was using a 9 day lag on cases to deaths. As testing is way better today, the cases are being identified earlier and capturing many more possible/probable cases rather than only near certainties. This would explain the reduction in mortality rate and also extend the lag between case -> death (or recovery). In my tracking and modeling I have therefore began calculating the mortality rate with a 20 day lag and using this in making projections.

The table below shows the June data through yesterday. The rate is the 29 days of deaths in June as a percentage of the cases May 12 to June 9th (also 29 days).

NJ included just under 1,800 presumptive cases 6/25 that related to March through mid June after a review of all death certificates and mainly relates to deaths before improved testing (March through Early May).

The US total excluding NY&NJ on this basis is 3% and mid month was 3.3% (each 15 days). It seems that due to reduced severity and/or improved treatment the second half of June was around 2.8% so in my projections I am now using 2.5%. Continued increases in testing may further reduce this rate but if hospitals become stressed that could lead to an increase. The July projection on this basis is for 26,500 deaths +/- with the daily total topping 1,000 on July 15th.

• UgaXforPresidentUgaXforPresident Posts: 275 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Solid work putting this together, thanks for sharing. I was doing something similar early on and was seeing a good fit of the data using a 7 day lag. It was an inexact method of just visually checking the fit of the data, so glad it compares well with your 9 day lag.

One hypothesis (not my own, just passing along) about reduced death rate is that the age demographics are changing compared to a couple months ago. Specifically, younger people are more likely to be going out and contracting the virus because they are at lower risk. If true, it would explain how we could have the surge in new cases without a surge in deaths.

A change from a 9 day to a 20 day lag doesn't make a ton of sense to me, even accounting for catching cases earlier, but I guess we will see. Thanks again for sharing!

• GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Another possible reason for the lower death rate I heard on an interview not too long ago is that people may be contracting enough of the virus to test positive but not enough to get seriously ill. It is similar to the way vaccinations work. The theory goes that the warm weather may be reducing the ability to spread by some small amount. The virus doesn't live as long on hotter surfaces, etc. The warm weather is not enough to knock the virus out completely, but maybe enough to tone it down a little. If this really is a factor, we could really see a second wave this winter, especially if our collective guard is down.

• razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not an expert in hospital capacity utilization but my understanding is that target capacity utilization is ~85%. Using this target, I found this link which includes daily status of Florida ICU utilization. With the exception of two small facilities that are full (8 ICU beds in use), the overwhelming majority of ICU capacity is below that threshold:

It's also important to note that all occupied ICU units captured in this database are not necessarily COVID-related.

To @UgaXforPresident 's point - I think this supports the hypothesis that the correlation between increased # of cases and severity of cases (inverted).

@Denmen185 - thanks for pulling this together...certainly time-intensive, I'm sure! Not to add work, but would be interesting to see the %s of LTC deaths in the calculation as LTC deaths are roughly 50% of all deaths in the US to date. Would be interesting to see if this benchmark continues in the coming months or if we see more fatalities in those under 60/outside of LTCs.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree it's very subjective but most are saying 1-2 weeks lag for hospitalization and a further 1-2 weeks to death/recovery. I went with 10 and 10 for good or bad. Florida will be indicative in that positivity rates were consistent at 4-5% June 1-9, then 7-9% June 10-16th, hit 10% June 17th then accelerated from there. This would suggest that if the 20 day lag is valid I would expect the deaths increase marginally starting around today and really increase from July 7th on until the positivity rates turn a corner as tighter restrictions take effect.

• UgaXforPresidentUgaXforPresident Posts: 275 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agreed, we will find out if it is just a lag issue in the coming days. I don't think recovery lag is the same as death lag though. Recovery lag is actually the reason I got fed up with tracking this data. If you start from the beginning and assume some death lag (7 days based on visual curve fitting), you could then calculate calculate what the lag is for recovery data to make sense.

The issue was that it became obvious that recoveries were wildly underreported. At the time I stopped tracking, the calculated average recovery period was 45 days. It makes sense why they would be underreported. If I'm sick and test positive and they tell me to go home and quarantine, I'm not going back to get tested in 14 days if I feel better. So they would never count me as a recovery. The problem is that you then never know how many active cases exist, which makes it tough to decide when to reopen things.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

On another thread related to this topic I posted some very interesting numbers gathered from the Johns Hopkins Covid site.

When considering whether we should have a college football season, re-opening the economy or just general reaction to this pandemic, you should read this entire article.

• GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not claiming to be a medical expert, but there is a lot of info out there about how much exposure you have to the virus being correlated to how bad your symptoms are. I also know there is a lot of misinformation floating around so I could be completely wrong.

This discussion has been closed.