Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Atlanta Braves Season Thread

Comments

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When opposing teams put the shift on Freddie, just hit a weak grounder to third. A guaranteed single or maybe double every time. They might then remove the shift which opens up some holes for him. Also, has Snitker ever heard of ABC baseball? If you score more than your opponent you win regardless of how you got the runs. Last night bases loaded with no outs and it takes a 2 out hit to get 1 run. Team’s talent is being wasted.

• Copedawg16Copedawg16 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

Markakis is back! Huge IMO.. we need contact hitters

also allows us to use Ozuna in the DH some with Markakis in the outfield.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That inning was a perfect summation of the season so far...

Opponent makes an error to open the inning, and we have a clean hit...

Yet, three strikeouts in the inning and no runs, no advancement even...

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Markakis sucks and I will not be told otherwise. He would be a nice bench piece but snitker is gonna start him every single game.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He needs to be a situational LH pinch hitter. And should get 4 starts against tough eighties...

As a Braves fan since they moved to Atlanta, I am used to disappointment. However, watching than play their home opener against the Rays is almost unbearable. So many squandered opportunities and so many strikeouts! An opening double in the 6th...

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lots of Ks still tonight (10) but the bullpen did well after giving up 2 more runs. Every win in a short season is huge. 6 out of 60 played so far.

Good comeback by the Braves last night.

As a guy that used to play, pitching kind of rounds into form earlier than hitting. With the Covid pause and shortened spring training I think it is reasonable to think our hitters are still getting their timing and vision down. May be wishful thinking, but I think our bats are still a bit rusty and will improve as the season goes on. Hopefully the K numbers go down a little bit, because the posters here are right that we are striking out a bit much, even for this modern era.

Granted we have seen some disgusting pitchers so far too, which hasn’t helped.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Big late inning win. Won the month of July haha. Lets win the month of August now

• TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Newk has the stuff to be a really good MLB pitcher, but he’ll have to figure out how to get deeper into games without blowing up if he wants to stay out of the bullpen. Hoping he can put it together and become a solid #3 starter, or I could see him as an 8th inning setup man. On a lighter note, that game was amazing! Glad I didn’t turn off the tv.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2020

Early takes:

1. Swanson is the early leader for Braves MVP. Dude is on fire through first 10% of season.
    2. Florida Marlins need to get their *%# together. How so many players came down with it is a mystery.
    3. Middle relief is a concern. Braves ERA is 4.76 compared to 2.04 for the Dodgers. Expect a trade soon if things don’t improve quickly, and Hamels needs to play.
    4. Braves defense has been exceptional thus far. Only three errors so far this season. In contrast, the Mets have six and Dodgers eight.
    5. Pretty sure the Braves are one of the top teams in attendance so far. However, it was disappointing to see so many fans leave early last night and miss the big comeback. 😉
    6. We are seeing a short leash on pitchers and prospects. Braves don’t seem interested in letting players “figure things out” before releasing them.
    7. Ks will slow down.
    8. Will be interesting to see if any of the new rules are carried over to 2021. I bet DH may be here to stay.
    9. Braves have five players in starting nine tonight with an avg under .250. Three are under .200. This isn’t a problem yet, but...
    10. MLB has done a good job avoiding politics but paying tribute to current issues. The NBA and NFL should learn from them.

I like that Tomlin throws strikes. Jackson has great stuff but is too wild.

• thegreatwhite1thegreatwhite1 Posts: 93 ✭✭✭ Junior

Jackson is too much of a liability. He’d fit in great in the Mets bullpen

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2020

I'd say starting pitching after Fried is a much bigger problem than middle relief, besides an incident here and there. In fact...

Starting Pitching ERA: 5.09

Relief Pitching ERA: 3.52

And keep in mind the bottom includes some biggie incidents by Chacin (which got erased by us with offense) and Touki. The regular "ahead and close" relievers (at least by my classification) currently have ERAs of 0, 0, 3, 3.38, 2.45, and 1.93 (yes, Luke for now will be still considered one). If you want to include Tomlin, that'd be a 3rd 0, but I'd consider him a non-traditional reliever (he does a bit of everything).

Matzek has been very surprising. I wouldn't consider him as a starter, but you might want to consider starting to use him as a non-traditional, but valuable guy like Tomlin has been used.

Yeah our 3, 4, and 5 starters are by far my biggest concern. We can complain that our bullpen sucks but pretty much every mlb bullpen sucks too. There just aren’t enough good pitchers and too many good hitters.