Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

A little Dawgnation fun.... a music survey!!!!

Comments

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with your #1 and #2 comments. Regarding #2, it's easy to recognize the musical talent, as their compositions are brilliant, but the lead singer is insufferable. His voice grates on my nerves.

• Cid23341Cid23341 Posts: 56 ✭✭✭ Junior

Over the last few years my wife and I have started listening to smaller bands and smaller venues, tired of the crowds and big stadiums. Our next trip will be to OK or Texas to see what I've always called "Red Dirt Music" Cross Canadian, Stoney Larue or REK. Check out J.J. Grey if you haven't already.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

KISS with Ted Nugent in 2000 in the Pensacola Bay Center is still the best concert I have ever been to. I ended up sneaking down into the 2nd row for KISS. Literally 10 ft from Gene Simmons in full makeup. KISS Dynasty was my first album way back when. Getting to finally see them live, with full makeup, was amazing.

• Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A band like Led Zeppelin had tremendous talent and could have played anything as shown in quieter pieces like Going to California. After that you had a lot of bands think "metal" and "loud" imitating the Zep without the talent.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Never heard it put like that. Pretty harsh, but I agree. The dislike question was tough for me, simply because I never think about the musicians and bands I don't enjoy. Rush could have been at the top of the list for either #1 or #2 for me. Most overrated band ever, imo. I just didn't think of them when making my list. The intro to Tom Sawyer? Love it, but that's the only 20 seconds of quality music Rush ever produced.

Obviously, Tex and a few others will disagree.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,572 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gruene Hall and John T Floore's Country Store are must see venues.

Billy Bobs not so much.

I never disagree when someone has different music tastes than me.......music moves us all differently.

I'll definitely check out J J Grey.

Thanks for the recommendation.

• TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2020

@Bankwalker when I lived in Myers dorm in the 80s, there were some punk rock fans on our hall that had Black Flag and Husker Du posters on their door. Many guys listened to Top40 pop music on Athens Q-105 (eg uptempo Billy Joel, Chicago, Madonna) and would make fun of me listening to 96rock from Atlanta. They had no idea who the punkers even were!

Side note: Anyone remember a great Atlanta 80s band named THE PRODUCERS? Had some great songs and videos but never made it big.

https://youtu.be/4k89_UrZXNw

Surprised nobody on a UGA forum mentioned B52s or REM? I would have loved to see the B52s play back in their Athens days.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Rush is one of those band's I like to put in the "To good" department. They've got a lot of different things going on in each song. So much so that many people find it distasteful. Truth is they took music and arrangements to another level. Many times folks like their music to be a little more simple and just enjoy it for what it is. Neither is right or wrong, it's just preference. I suspect that most people that are a musician themselves appreciate these kind of things more. At least on average. I'm an amateur musician and I appreciate Rush, although they're really not my cup of tea either. I almost put them down for Live shows I wish I got to see though.

I saw someone else put the band Yes down as a negative. I would classify them in this category as well. Here are some bands I think of like that.

Rush

Yes

Phish

Tool

Umphrey's McGee

Steely Dan

Snarky Puppy (this might be the epitome of a band being "to good") Look these guys up if you've never heard of them. Insane.

Many others of course. Some might put the Beatles in this category. And during their time, they certainly pushed music to another level.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Here, just so folks don't have to bother. A good example of what I was talking about above.

It's sort of a list of extremes. The best, or worst of. B52's and REM sorta live in the middle. Although I think Tex mentioned REM. And I mentioned Widespread Panic. Speaking of... their founding drummer died today 😥

Excellent points. Sometimes groups or musicians try too hard to be technical and complicated. Joe Satriani, Malmsteen, Steve Vai are classic examples. They are generally regarded as some of the greatest technical guitarist on the planet, but their popular appeal is very limited. It's generally not relatable or understandable to the public. Rush's most popular songs are the ones where they stayed within the norm.

Wondering if anyone here actually saw the B52s play back in the 70's in Athens?

• BrotatoChip88BrotatoChip88 Posts: 219 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

1. Band that you hate - Heart (Makes my ears bleed and my mom was a big fan . . . ).

2. Band you think is overrated - The Beatles (Like a similar poster, don't @ me).

3. Band you think is under appreciated - John Mayer.

4. Band that you love - Gavin DeGraw.

5. Band that you could listen to over and over again - Old Dominion (Most new country s.u.c.k.s, they're the exception).

6. Band that made you fall in love with music - Goo Goo Dolls.

7. Band that is your guilty pleasure - Fine Young Cannibals (Always reminds me of growing up in the 90s LOL)

8. Band you wish you would have seen live....but it's no longer possible - Bob Seger with my Dad would've been awesome.

9. Greatest band to see live - 3 Doors Down (Believe it or not, they put on one heck of a show. I got to see Garth Brooks when he came to Jacksonville a few years ago but it wasn't anywhere close to his concerts I saw on TV as a kid.)

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2020

B-52s played the UGA Coliseum when I was a student in 1984. The previous year REM played a free show at Legion Pool. This wasn’t the old 40watt club 70s days but still fun to see these Athens originals in their earlier years.

I do remember a guy at my high school circa 1979 walking around with a petition to “Ban the B52s because this was NOT music.” I refused to sign and started humming the notes to “Private Idaho” back at him.

”Rock Lobster” was a staple at almost every UGA party during the 80s.

I think it still is a staple. One of my all-time favorite songs.