Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Atlanta Braves Season Thread

Comments

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Have loved seeing Riley over the past few weeks. He's been paying stellar defense at the hot corner. If he can consistently lay off the off-speed stuff out of the zone (particularly low and away) and hit .265+ or so with his power then I'm calling him our long term answer at 3rd. Love seeing homegrown guys develop.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It seems like he's sitting on off-speed stuff now, and just reacting to fastballs and driving those to the opposite field. I'd say it's working quite well if that's what he's doing.

edited September 2020

Yep. I've noticed the hits to the right side as well. Love to see it. I realize him grabbing the 3rd base spot comes at the expense of Camargo (long term; he's filling in for Ozzie a lot right now). I feel Camargo's best value on a contending-level team is as a Swiss army super sub type guy, not a starter. Riley continuing to emerge hopefully facilitates that as well.

Riley has also only been playing at this level of performance for a few weeks. A long way to go to consider him as truly arriving and permanently grabbing that spot. Has been fun to watch, though

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gosh. Tom Seaver and Lou Brock, gone, in the same week. A couple of true greats.

RIP, condolences to their loved ones, and many thanks to each for their contributions to the game of baseball.

• SquillDawgSquillDawg Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was at my fantasy football draft yesterday. I said, hey turn around. Freddie's about to his a grand slam on the next pitch. Boom!

It took a few of them 5 minutes to believe it wasn't a replay.

edited September 2020

Braves up 22-8 in the 5th on Acuna's 3-run HR. Set a new team record. Franchise record is 23 so there's a good chance we'll make history tonight (if you aren't already watching the show and want to join the fun.)

Acuna coming to the plate with the bases loaded in the 6th...

edited September 2020

And... Acuna drives in three with a double, setting a new franchise record for runs scored. Braves up 25-8.

Edit: if you're wondering, the MLB record (modern day) is 30 runs, set by Texas in 2007.

• SquillDawgSquillDawg Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm in Florida so I'm getting the Marlins TV broadcast. Kinda funny. They're rolling through stories to pass the time.

Duvall with a grand slam to put the Braves up 29-9 in the 7th!

Heading to the bottom of the 8th. Top of the order coming up. Let's get some!!!

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2020

Duvall's 9 RBIs ties a franchise single game record set by Tony Cloninger in 1966.

Chipper Jones set the franchise record for five runs scored in a game in 1997. He tied himself in 2001. Last night Swanson, Riley, and Duvall each tied that record with five runs apiece.

• TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Picked up Duvall yesterday for a spot start in my fantasy baseball league. Needless to say I’m happy with my decision. I sat Ozzie though!!

• law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Amazing night by the Braves. Now if they could just get some pitching.

Just a crazy game. It does skew the facts a little in that the Braves just lost that series to Miami and were shut out the night before.

Are they going to have to DFA Millone? I have no problem with them taking a low risk flyer on him, which is effectively what they did in getting him from Baltimore for Mr. PTBNL. But he looks like he isn't long for the roster at this point. Need Anderson to continue improving, Hamels to get healthy and Fried to get his back spasms worked out in the worst way.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Luckily Tomlin was solid in his last start. Doesn't have to be a world beater, just some innings. Hamels is our shot in the dark.

• donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mightn't they give Folty another try or perhaps Sean Newcombe? They couldn't do much worse than who they've been using.

• TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2020

Have us Braves fans completely given up on Kyle Wright and Touki Toussaint? Both need big time improvement but I've always felt like both had potential to figure it all out.

i.e. Max Fried

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For this year, yeah. When a player tells you who he is, you gotta listen. Neither are very good starting MLB pitchers today, at best they’re bullpen arms.

Granted tomlin and milone are also clearly very bad too. Honestly we might need to start doing a lot of bullpen games.