Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Why Georgia football should start D'Wan Mathis at Arkansas

2»

Comments

• BestofBreedBestofBreed Posts: 117 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree w/ you w/ the small caveat that I want the QB that gives us the best chance to beat Alabama, Clemson, etc. if the game is put on HIS shoulders. I don't want the QB that checks UGA into the right run vs. Vandy. The reality is there are dozens of QBs that would have a similar record vs. 90% of the teams UGA plays. What matters is when we play the elite teams w/ elite QBs we haven't been able to match points because having a good college QB is a disadvantage to teams having elite, playmaking college QBs.

Can you win w/ a game managing QB? Sure you can. Just like you can win without an elite defense, but a lot of other things have to be right for that to happen. And in life, there are no bonus points for difficulty.

I don't care if it's Mathis or JT but I can't help but notice that the teams winning championships all have had significant contributions from the mobility of their QBs--how many sacks did Burrow get out of last year that should have been 12 yard losses? I guess what I'm saying is all else being close to equal, I'm pulling for the guy w/ some mobility.

• ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

All are healthy but one of them. Out of those, I say start Mathis, but play Beck too. How much would depend on how well he knows the offense. Give him some reps, just in case he is needed down the road. Still can redshirt him. What if Daniels is 100% cleared? Well, if he is going to be the eventual starter, I would give him all the live snaps I could. That would be something though, his first live contact coming in a game and not practice. I personally would like whoever is going to start game 2 against Auburn, to start game 1 or play a lot, to get ready. It is going to be hard for Daniels to not play game 1, then start against Auburn the next week and play good enough to win it. I think. Maybe Mathis is going to be the starter all year. Maybe it will be a rotation until one of them beats the other out. Maybe it will be until Daniels is cleared and wins it in practice. Beck has huge game too. Going to be very interesting.

• WalteregoWalterego Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

"UGA’s history of making conservative calls on medical decisions suggests they won’t push the issue."

White and Blaylock's rehab outcome and RTS timeframe alone post ACL repair completely disagree with you. AJC even reported White was limping in a practice before his contralateral ACL tear during contact special team drills. That's careless if not reckless. Certainly not conservative.

• WalteregoWalterego Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

Regarding JT Daniels, we're at least well past the bare minimum 9 month post surgery time frame. That does not speak to the return to sport testing criteria we won't know as fans, but at least JT is on a more reasonable time table. I'd like to see Mathis get a run, though.