Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football releases official statement regarding Otis Reese allegations

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited September 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football releases official statement regarding Otis Reese allegations

On Tuesday night, former Georgia safety Otis Reese detailed his time with the Bulldogs and made a number of allegations involving racism, police harassment and manipulation by Georgia head coach Kirby Smart during his time with the football program. Wednesday morning, the University of Georgia Athletic Association

Read the full story here

Comments

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Racism? He won't find any at OLE MISS!!!! Good luck if that is truly your concern. Could of been injuries or not good enough to start or be 2nd team.

• JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

White guy here. Born and raised in NC, another Southern state, but went to UGA. Will love the university and town to my last breath, but I heard the n-word from white UGA students more times in the first week I was at UGA than I had heard it in my previous 18 years living in NC. Heard it from S. Georgia boys, suburban Atlanta girls, etc. It's a problem folks.

• JackCuppyJackCuppy Posts: 28 ✭ Freshman
  • 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best of luck in the non racist state of Mississippi..

• WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 88 ✭✭✭ Junior

Balls in your court now Mr. Otis Reese, give UGA permission to speak so we can hear their side of the story.

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good point. One question I have is how many songs carry such jargon? In this case people may be expressing outwardly what they have poured in?

• JackCuppyJackCuppy Posts: 28 ✭ Freshman

If he wants to play for Lame Kiffin so be it. Kiffin’s reputation speaks for itself. Whatever happened to putting the work in, honesty, and integrity? This world needs to desperately go back to that. I believe it is an honor and a privilege to be able to attend an institution of higher learning. I believe Kirby and his staff does a great job a UGA. I have also heard the “N” word used by people of several different nationalities as well as people of color included. I have heard the “N” word used in lyrics of rap music. UGA has helped a lot of people one of them being Devon Gales. He is a player that got injured badly during a football game versus UGA a few years ago. Been a dawg fan all of my life. Life is full of happiness and challenges. Best of luck Otis. GO DAWGS! GATA this Saturday!!

• randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm sure he's heard racial slurs at UGA (just like he would most anywhere else sadly) and I'm sympathetic to that.....but my take on this whole thing is that he's trying to leverage this into immediate eligibility just like Justin Fields. It's now become a strategy for many of these kids when they don't get what they want (thanks to immoral attorneys representing them). I doubt UGA is holding up his case...the kid is looking for someone to blame. So Otis blame the incompetent NCAA and stop the bad mouthing of one of the best schools in the country giving you a free scholarship and a chance to make it big in the NFL....you couldn't cut it at UGA and that's your issue not UGA's. This is not a good look for recruiting!

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 345 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Are the players supporting Reese's desire to play also vouching for the veracity of his statements? I'm really curious to hear other players' views on Reese's claims

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is leverage to gain eligibility...yes. But it hurts recruiting and intra-team spirit...even though it is a ploy. Reese has some issues, obviously. Just transfer and take what the NCAA and SEC mandate. I hate this stuff but it is reality.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's way past time for civilized society to take a stand against this nonsense.

• 87dawg87dawg Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Man, those retweeting have "foot"balls. No way I'd call out my school or coach, directly or indirectly. I wonder if those three had a conversation with Smart.

• Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Only he knows if he is telling the truth or not, but the comment he made above in his statement leaves me scratching my head. If the environment is so toxic and you're wanting to leave, why would you be worried about losing your position on the team? I'm certainly not saying he is lying, not at all. And I do hope we can learn more from his accusations in the coming days. I do hope the truth comes out, and soon.

• 10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 253 ✭✭✭ Junior

It's pure BS, ain't nobody who doesn't have a job gonna stick around all this time and say I never was given a fair shot, or someone treated me so bad that I just thought about leaving. This whole give everybody a free pass is only gonna get worse.

• WayxATLdawg89WayxATLdawg89 Posts: 87 ✭✭ Sophomore

Over the last couple of days I've read the post of others and find it shocking that we as Dawg fans find it hard to believe this young man when he speaks about possible racism on our campus. Clearly everyone can't have their heads buried in the sand to think that it doesn't happen. It would be on thing if the current players on the roster aren't supporting his claim but that's not the case and these are current leaders of the team. Shame on Mr. Reese if his claims are baseless and he is using it as a way to play and shame on the adults who are influencing him to do as they are just as guilty. However, as the saying goes, where there's smoke, there's fire and I think the University needs to investigate this to the fullest. I do believe Coach Smart has the best interest of the players but also think that sometimes we fail to address issues head-on hoping they will simply go away.

One other point I want make is the fact that the NCAA can bend the rules for some and not others when it comes to transfers. My take is if the coach can leave , go to another school and coach immediately and make more money in the process, why can't a student athlete??Maybe the receiving schools should be forced to pay the old university for portions of the requesting transfer students costs. If they truly want him, they will pay and the portal will be easier to manage.

GO DAWGS!!! Let's have a hog roast on Saturday at 4pm....

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

3 total tackles in 14 games. LOL!

• districtdawg5districtdawg5 Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

I agree with WayxATLdawg89 - I’m pretty disappointed by the comments on these posts. As Dawgs fans of course it is natural to feel defensive when we hear allegations like this against the team we love. But why lash out at Reese like this? Do we have actual knowledge that his accusations aren’t true? No - in fact one of our current players says he remembers one of the incidents...Why the animosity against Reese? Why is there no outrage against the individuals using the N word? Against the police baselessly assuming they were using drugs? I for one don’t doubt Reese’s claims - they are completely believable.

If the outrage is because he is using this claim as leverage, I don’t understand that either. Of course one of the reasons he is transferring is probably because he wants to start. But does that make what he said untrue? I’ll answer that - no, it doesn’t. I think the appropriate response to this situation is sorrow that Reese had this experience at UGA, wishing him well with the rest of his career, and having dialogue about how we can change students’ experience at campus so this doesn’t happen again. Instead, most of what I’ve seen on this thread are baseless assumptions and petty defensiveness. It’s pretty depressing to see - so much so that after reading this site for years I finally made an account to comment. Let’s grow up and put life - including the actual presence of racism and other people’s perspectives and experiences - ahead of football. You want to hope that racism doesn’t exist at UGA, but that would simply be untrue - racism takes many forms and can be found everywhere.