Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Coffee Day

donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Having never had coffee to drink - I guess my folks bought into the fake news idea that coffee might stunt a child's growth instead of following the scientific idea that genes determine height - we weren't allowed to drink coffee and I never got into the "habit" of drinking coffee

So with that background I give you:

NATIONAL COFFEE DAY

Whether getting one to go or lingering over a second cup, on September 29th be sure to observe National Coffee Day!

Ah, the perfect cup of java. According to an expert cupper (a professional coffee taster), there are four components of a perfect cup: aroma, body, acidity, and flavor.

From the moment the average coffee lover opens a fresh bag of coffee beans, the aroma beckons, percolating the senses. Even those who don’t drink coffee tend to enjoy the fragrance roasted beans cast.

GROWING, ROASTING, AND BREWING

When determining the body of a coffee, the bean, the roast, and the brew are all factors. The bean affects the texture of the coffee, whether its silky, creamy, thick or thin on the tongue and throat. However, the darker the roast and how we brew it will alter the feel of a coffee’s body, too. Grandpa’s motor oil blend versus the coffee shop around the corner’s silky smooth, well-practiced grind have entirely different bodies.

Where a coffee bean grows determines its acidity. The higher the elevation the coffee grows, the higher the quality and the acidity. These coffees are considered brighter, dryer, even sparkling by cuppers.

When it comes down to it, coffee lovers cherish the flavor as well as the caffeinated boost this roasted bean gives morning or night, black or with cream and sugar. Hot or cold it provides enjoyment even when decaffeinated!

COFFEE HISTORY

Many legendary accounts tell how coffee first came to be. However, the earliest credible evidence of either coffee drinking or the knowledge of the coffee tree appears in the middle of the 15th century in the Sufi monasteries around Mokha in Yemen. Here, monks first roasted coffee seeds and brewed coffee, much like we prepare them today. Yemeni traders brought coffee back to their homeland from Ethiopia and began to cultivate the seed.

In 1670, Baba Budan smuggled coffee seeds out of the Middle East by strapping seven seeds onto his chest. The first plants grown from these stowed away seeds were planted in Mysore. Coffee later spread to Italy and the rest of Europe, Indonesia, and the Americas.

While Brazil produces more coffee in the world than any other country, Colombia closely follows. Also, more than 50 countries around the world grow coffee, too. As a result, we choose from a bountiful selection of flavors for the indulgence of **** cups of the black drink for connoisseurs to consume.

Do you have a favorite coffee? How much coffee do you drink in a day?

Upon reflection, I did drink coffee once. Friends bought me a couple cups of Irish coffee when I first moved to Carrollton, GA to teach at UWG, which was then WGC. I must say I like it. but haven't re-visited the drink.

It is also National VFW day. Thanks to all who have served.

Comments

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've never been a coffee drinker. I don't understand how something can smell as good as coffee does brewing to end up tasting that bad. I did have an iced coffee when Java Joy came to my workplace and I wanted to support them so I had the young man make me whatever coffee he wanted. He ended up making me an iced coffee and I'm not sure what he put in it but it was good.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I've found that coffee is a lot like beer....the more I drink it the more I love it. I used to take my coffee with milk and three equals. Then I weaned myself off the equal. Then for Lent one year I gave up milk in my coffee and drank it black. Now I can't drink it any other way. I also only drink iced coffee year round.

I've missed a lot of the NYC coffee places, but the keurig has kept me awake the last six months.

I've never been able to develop a taste for beer either. I can't get past the smell. I can't get myself to drink something that smells like pee.

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I used to put sugar and creamer in my coffee, then my wife bought the flavored creamers at Christmas and I enjoyed them at first but realized it wasn't so much coffee as it was a sugary drink.

Started drinking coffee black, and haven't looked back.

My wife and I went to Chops in ATL a couple weeks ago for anniversary and the coffee was so good...just brewed in a pot. The waiter who brought the coffee was Indian, I believe, and he said it was good to see someone enjoy something so much. I musta had 4 or 5 cups at the end of our meal.

A friend of mine owns a small coffeehouse and he says that Starbucks is really not good coffee for one reason: the amount of beans that they have to buy, there is no way to get a consistent quality so the coffee is over roasted to cover this up.

That said, my favorite Starbucks blend is their Pike Place. I was almost out, and my wife went to Sprouts and got their breakfast blend and ground it freshly...smelling them at the same time was like night and day.

When coffee is brewed right, drinking it black really brings out the flavor, and black coffee is good for you! I've read that it helps against type 2 diabetes, pancreatic cancer, etc.

It really is a comfort thing, and I drink it even in the summer.

edited September 2020

My mom used to pour a cup of coffee out of the pot as soon as it made every morning and then put the cup in the microwave to get it hotter. We all said she had a cast iron stomach.

Edited to add: She drank it black always.

• BangersBangers Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2020

I drank black coffee daily for about 15 years. Two years ago I got the flu and couldnt drink it for a few days. I was probably drinking 5 or 6 cups a day. The pain of the withdrawal was worse than the flu symptoms. I decided to take a break from coffee for a while. I never started drinking it again. I still enjoy the smell and even the taste of it, but decided it was best for me to just keep it out of my life. I did start drinking hot tea to get that same sort of ritual / warming sensation. But with tea its much easier for me to limit it to just one or two cups a day, and if I don't have a cup its no big deal... versus when I was drinking coffee and I would be going out of my mind without having at least one cup of the dark devilish nectar before 9am.

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I drink decaf (I know, I know). My uncle used to work at a police 911 dispatch, and one day the coffee pot was broke (that's no joke) and he said the withdrawal was awful. I don't have it that bad, but it really is a comfort thing.

Speaking of which, it's time to brew a few cups.

• brady01brady01 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Huge coffee fan here black, sweet, iced, mocha, latte, idc. If it has coffee in it I like it. Speaking of which. Look what I ordered yesterday to try.

Oooh...might need a relative nearby to pick me up some of that.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's pretty good. Couldn't find it as whole bean but not bad at all for a ground coffee.

• brady01brady01 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They have it on the website as whole bean or medium grind. $17.99 + $5 shipping

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love coffee. Black, no sugar. I drink too much of it. My favorite is chicory (like Cafe Du Monde from NOLA).

Have you ever had Blue Bottle? There's a few shops in NYC now and it's fantastic.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No, but I'd like to. I may order a fall blend bag of beans. Do you have a favorite?

• otis1105otis1105 Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anyone take Dunkin up on the buy one coffee get another free yesterday? I did, it tasted like to save money they added twice the water to the coffee so really the second 1 free was just the rest of what should have been in your first coffee... just wondering if anyone else experienced that!

Dunkin isn't known for their coffee strength. I used to go there all the time, but as I started drinking other types (ie better) of coffee, Dunkin just doesn't do it for me. Perfectly adequate is what I would say. I haven't had Dunkin in 6 months because they're just not that many of them out here in Minnesota. They're on every other block in NYC.

This was probably way more info than anyone wanted or needed about Dunkin haha.

• otis1105otis1105 Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah I mean I guess I don’t have a bar for what is usually should be because I only got it for the free one and typically never buy coffee.. was curious if it was just me or on free coffee day. I didn’t even expand my mind to the possibility that it is always just watery! Ha

I'm going to take this off topic thread a little more off topic. Can somebody tell me how Dunkin Donuts are awful but their donuts holes are great. How does that happen?

• BangersBangers Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Totally agree - their donuts are not good, but I could eat a full box of their munchins ... really weird