Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Worst first day of driving stories

texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,572 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wednesday was my son's first day to drive. We all remember the incredible feeling of freedom the first time behind the wheel.....without a parent.

Our next door neighbor's young boys left their gate open. Their 16 year old dog.....who is deaf and doesn't see very well.....got out.

You know what happened next.... backing out of the driveway for the first time my son runs over the dog. I was in the front yard watching and I didn't even see the dog.

Our family is huge dog lovers. We have 3 rescues. Such an awful day. Broke my son's heart. Not to mention the three young neighbor kids.

Neighbors were very sweet and understanding and took full responsibility....but still a pretty crappy feeling.

The dog did not survive.

Any other "first day driving" bad experiences.

Comments

• roydawgroydawg Posts: 580 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nope. I think that one takes the cake.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

geez, that sucks for everyone. sorry.

mine is NOTHING compared to that but I grew up pretty rural and went to a private school in town, about 1/2 hour drive. I have always been directionally challenged and this was way before smartphones and such. so I got lost and it took me around an hour to make it

• brady01brady01 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nope. Dang that's awful.. I did back into my moms car in the driveway when I was about 15. Had my girlfriend in the truck with me and we were just going to the barn (I only had my learners) and I backed all over my moms car.

Still blame my gf (wife now) for that one.

• Kirb_your_enthusiasmKirb_your_enthusiasm Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That’s awful, I don’t have anything that could even come close to touching that.

Were the neighbor kids outside when it happened?

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,572 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kids did not see it. Dog actually survived....sent to the vet.....and put down there.... kids were present for that.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ouch @texdawg that's a terrible story. Feel incredibly bad for all parties involved.

I think I was about 12 or 13 the first time I drove. My parents were going out of town and I hid their car keys. After their departure I took my younger brother out for a joy ride around the San Fernando Valley. We drove to friends houses and had a blast. Unfortunately, my parking skills were not up to par and my Dad noticed the car was parked in the garage at an odd angle. I thought my life was over. He was pretty cool about it. Still not a wise move on my part.

• ChopperChopper Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Got a speeding ticket, first of many, first day driving

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

One word: Boston. That's all that needs to be said

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sorry to hear that, Tex...

• MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sorry to hear that Tex, that’s tragic.

I’ll try to lighten the mood by saying that my wife’s best friend didn’t even make it out of the parking lot on her driving test. She got nervous and ran the stop sign in the parking lot and the instructor just had her park and failed her right there.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,572 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • njdawg81njdawg81 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Wow that's a sad story Tex.

If there is a bright side, this will likely make your son a more cautious driver in the future. For a young male, that is mighty important. They think they are indestructible at that age.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My dad was born December 31, 1919. His earliest memory is his Dad coming home with a 22 Chevy. He said the horn on that car was older than the aooogah horns. He transferred that horn onto every vehicle he owned and I now have it on mine. Good stories with That horn but anyway....

When my dad was old enough to drive his dad had him start on a dirt road shortly before the road sharply curved. His dad explained about letting out the clutch while increasing the gas and in the ditch they went.

My dad says he thinks that his dad sorta expected what happened to happen and I am not sure why he sort of set my dad up.

Fast forward to when to when I am 15 and Dad takes me to the community college whose considerable parking lot is empty. Drive all around and park and I seemed to please both of us. Glad to be accomplished and done but we were not. He had me next drive in traffic to the hariest left turn around. I am dripping sweat and it is not even hot.

Turned out fine but it made me wonder about our species passing along abuse from generation to generation.