Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football instant observations after deflating loss to Alabama

2»

Comments

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A friend told me all of our goals are still ahead of us. Yeah, win out, earn a rematch with them and another chance to implode. Great goals!! Just like all of our other teams in this state. Whoever put a curse on our state teams, please remove it.

• Options
    chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bennett is a great feel good story, but he does not have the arm strength or accuracy to deliver the ball to his receivers when they are tightly covered. Kirby was reluctant to give playing time to Fields which might have shown that Fields had more up side than Fromm. I hope he doesn't make that mistake again. If you continue to bring in highly rated QBs they must be given a chance to play. There is a reason Bennett came out of High school without a rating. Hard work and determination can accomplish only so much and Stetson is demonstrating that.

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sorry to say, but Saban played Kirby and the media like fiddles. How bad is this Ala defense? WAY better than Ga's. It's just like last year, against everybody else that are not great teams, they look dominant. But against a team with a great offense (LSU anyone), that defense gets exposed. Almost 600 yards of offense.

I agree with a previous comment, how much longer until Ga starts losing recruits?

Even if Saban didn't get to coach, it would not of mattered. Sarkisian proved he too is Kirby's daddy. Just sad.

I worry about 2 weeks, this offense has to play what might actually be the best defense in the SEC.

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Nothing from me that hasn't already been said. I do find it interesting that Burton is the hot receiver and Pickens is hardly in the picture. When a supposedly "elite" team has a former walk-on qb throwing a high percentage of passes to an unknown entity at receiver in the clutch, in an air-raid offense, something isn't right. Either Monken doesn't trust Picken's or Stetson doesn't. But Picken's should factor in more and he was no where to be found. He looks like he's going thru the motions when he is in. Also, Bama's receiver's just made a lot of draft money tonight whereas UGA's vaunted secondary lost it. Exposed. Kirby kicking a field goal down 17 with 6 minutes to go? Might as well as waved a white flag. No balls. That's a problem. Hope the Dawgs get another chance but I doubt there will be a different outcome.

• Options
    TIMLAW10TIMLAW10 Posts: 46 ✭✭ Sophomore

At least good to see James Cook interested for a minute.

• Options
    bigdawg88bigdawg88 Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

Well, Saban figured Bennett IV (aka Dave Archer) out pretty quickly. I was afraid of that, but it does give us a chance to see what Daniels can do by the SECC game. Having a qb that can throw the deep ball will keep bamas defense honest.

We shouldn't have these problems against the rest of the teams we face. Disappointed with the secondary play. bamas receivers are good, but not putting hands on them and playing physical is inexcusable. When did Kirby start teaching them to grab jerseys? They've been doing it all year.

Our D is good enough to beat bama and clemson, but we need the offense to step up. You're not holding either of those to 20 points, but their defenses are not elite. Bama scored 21 pts off turnovers. Reduce those and you have a game.

• Options
    Adamcu78Adamcu78 Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

Let's not all forget what fundamentally changed the game. It started with the atrocious pass interference in the end zone. That gave bama the ball on the 1 and instead of a field goal and being up by 6 gave them a 2 score lead. From that point on we imploded.

Bennett is a good story and a good qb, but we need a great division 1 qb to beat bama and the refs

• Options
    peggysue4upeggysue4u Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

I agree with what others are saying, but I have to add the intangible: momentum. In the 3rd quarter (I think), UGA was moving the ball. Then, Bennett threw a long pass to Jackson, and the AL defensive player pushed him in the chest, causing Jackson to miss. Another time, UGA was moving the ball, and Bennett threw a side pass to Burton, and the AL defender was climbing on Burton's back and he missed the catch. None of these blatant pass interferences were called. But then, shortly afterwards, an "iffy" pass interference was called against UGA in the end zone. At that point, the momentum was changed.

• Options
    DrSwimDawgDrSwimDawg Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

Awful coaching ... predictable play calling (for the most part) ... and a coaching genius (Saban, that is), unlike Smart, who was able to quickly make adjustments at half time to burry the Dawgs once again. That was the summary from the Alabama game.

Where was the "air raid" that the new hyped-up offensive coordinator was going to create? Let me guess, it's COVID-19's fault. How do you create an air attack when the quarterback is 5'10" and is trying to throw over a mammoth defensive line?

The coaching ... The fact that not one Alabama assistant coach, who has become a head coach at another school, has been able to beat Saban, is astonishing. Kirby Smart is just another statistic. On another note, those seniors such as LeCounte who chose to stay and play one more year for Smart instead of going to the NFL, I'm sure are questioning their decision. The expectations at Georgia have somehow become the National Championship ... wake up ... you MUST be able to beat Alabama not just once, but consistently ... and Georgia is not there yet. I forgot ... Georgia has been "rebuilding " for the past 40 yrs.