Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Questions about Georgia quarterback JT Daniels expected, injury updates after Alabama

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited October 2020 in Article commenting
imageQuestions about Georgia quarterback JT Daniels expected, injury updates after Alabama

Georgia football had some key players missing at Alabama, and fans are wanting answers about the availability of quarterback transfer JT Daniels

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BestofBreedBestofBreed Posts: 117 ✭✭✭ Junior

"Smart’s stance has been that just because Daniels is cleared doesn’t mean he’s ready to play."

Yes, just like I'm sure he'd say Carson Beck isn't "ready to play." He's definitely not saying it's health related or they wouldn't have cleared him. Sounds performance related. You can show all the arm talent in the world (Mathis was the most talented guy on the roster last year), but if you're not making the right decisions in practice the coaches aren't going to put you in there. Seems it's much more likely Kirby isn't in love with someone he's seeing out of Daniels and most definitely did not wow them enough to run off Newman. Gotta use some commonsense here.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2020

Will someone please ask about Beck? Fromm started when he was a Freshman, why not give Beck a shot? Beck was literally reported as someone that has "Fromm's Football IQ with Justin Field's Arm." This kid was crowned "Mr. Football" in the state of Florida! What gives? Why does no one inquire about his status or how he is progressing?

We lost against BAMA almost exclusively due to the play of Bennett. I have never seen a QB throw so many interceptions AND have so many batted balls. Bama went after our weakest links. I doubt we can win the SECCG, if we beat Florida, with Bennett. At this point, start Daniels or Beck against Kentucky. What do we have to lose?!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Obviously, if healthy guys are not playing (Daniels and Beck) the coaches (or maybe just CKS) don't think those players are "ready" or doing well enough in practice to merit game action. They aren't going to tell us that because they don't have to but you can bet the players know. So as much as we all might shout for Daniels or Beck or even Mathis, it doesn't make any difference to Kirby and Co. Anyway, for the vast majority of us fans, we're basing our knowledge of all of these guys on what we've heard or seen written about them. For the most part, most of us haven't seen them playing against Division 1 defenses -- certainly not for Mathis or Beck, and probably not many of us had seen that much -- if any -- of Daniels. So I'm going to trust the coaches because as much as we fans think we want to win, I'm pretty sure the coaches want to win a whole lot more and there's a lot more pressure on them to do so than it is on us. So I don't think they're intentionally NOT playing the best players, regardless of position. I do think that we will lose Daniels and/or Mathis at the end of this season, though, regardless of what happens. No matter who plays or doesn't, one of those guys is bound to be unhappy. Bennett will never leave. He'd be **** to because no other Div. 1 school will give him a scholarship. And Beck will want to wait and at least give himself a second year to see how he stacks up against Brock Vandagriff.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If we can score 14 points a quarter we can beat anyone. Better open it up and develop a qb

• Options
    RighteousRighteous Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman
    edited October 2020

Another game Kirby losses to Bama by playing the safe QB, would be 3-0 if he played his played his play making QB's

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have one question that I would like asked to Smart:

"Do you believe that you can beat Alabama and Clemson without an NFL caliber QB? Please answer Yes or No."

Seriously. You can't do it and clearly Smart hasn't learned HOW Saban has able to come back and beat him for the 3rd time in a row with us leading at the half.

To ramble on... Saban adjusts, attacks your weaknesses and is willing to use whomever it takes to win. In 2017 NC game, he pulled in his backup Tua to shake things up. We didn't even attempt to give Eason a shot just to keep them off balance. Instead, we tried Chubb 18 times and he only got 1.4 yards per game with no TDs. Sony Michel wound up with 4x the number of yards, but we only tried him 14 times. Hmm.

In 2018 SEC, Saban brought in Jalen Hurts who went 7/9 for 82 yards and a TD. We gave Fields the opportunity of 1 freaking pass and a couple of runs. What a waste.

This past game, no tricks needed. Mac Jones went 24/32 for 417 yards and Najee Harris ran 31 TIMES for 152 YARDS. They had Harris rush about as many times as Mac tried to pass. Was there no way to stop him? Could we not have adjusted?

We need to adjust our gameplay based on our opponent both in prep as well as in game. We knew hurry up worked against Bama, why didn't we do the entire game in that offense? I find it interesting that Harris was able to get about 5 yards a rush in 31 attempts, while Bama limited Chubb to only 1.4 yards per run.

• Options
    BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2020

So let's do a what if here. What if CKS was planning all along to keep JTD out and give him more healing time? He knows he could lose to Bama and still wouldn't affect his SECE championship hopes. He could lose and still go to SECC playoffs and win. After the Bama game let's suppose he starts bringing JTD to life over the next games and integrates him more and more each game then having him up to speed for the playoff. This way it hurts losing to Bama but it mitigates the risk of injuring JTD, there would be no way to even have him for the run and playoffs if he got hurt. I am not saying he kept SB in to lose I am sure he wanted to win but the higher risk of putting JTD in to a game that really didn't mean much to us other than bragging rights and having the possibility of getting him hurt for remainder of year would be too great. Just my thoughts.

• Options
    RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

There are people on here actually defending the play of Stetson Bennett, 2020 is really a weird year. Kirby Smart is becoming an emperor with no clothes.

• Options
    ATDATD Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

A wonderful sermon at church on Sunday with a David versus Goliath reference. David may be able to take out a giant Philistine with a stone and a sling, but 4th string QB's don't go into Tuscaloosa and beat the Tide. Assuming Daniels is physically able to play, let's get him ready with the off-week ahead. I also agree with some other posts and A Murray about our receivers. They look pedestrian compared to Alabama's wideouts. Not sure how to help the back end of our defense short of running the ball and running off some clock against a team like Bama. It seems like we abandoned what was working in the second quarter after halftime.

• Options
    WayxATLdawg89WayxATLdawg89 Posts: 87 ✭✭ Sophomore

@BassDawg , I understand your what if's and it makes sense but we've played the game of what if's with Fields claiming to get him reps tho they were never meaningful and he left. For some reason, it seems at times as if UGA wants to only play the smart QB and hopes to win instead of playing the most capable QB who will lead you to victory.

History has shown us time and again that Clemson( Watson, Lawrence), Auburn(Cam Newton, Nick Marshall), Florida State(Charlie Ward) and possibly Ohio St (Fields) can come into the state of Georgia and take the best QB's away from us and make them Champions while we are playing the "Smart QB's". Our last chance at winning the title with A Murray and coaching cost us the game. Before then it was Shockley who delivered an SEC title. The point of my previous post was say like many of you, if you aren't willing to change and take risks during the game then you are doomed to lose. We've done so repeatedly for the last three years...

GO DAWGS

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What happened? I have been in a coma since the game ended Saturday night!

• Options
    WayxATLdawg89WayxATLdawg89 Posts: 87 ✭✭ Sophomore

@Timothy1952 , I am giving Saban all of the credit because of his willingness to take risks and change during the game and not after a loss that could have been avoided.

Some are saying that maybe JT still isn't healed. If that's the case, why play games with the others on the team who may practice harder and push more knowing they may have a shot at playing. Why put pressure on JT if you know its a chance he could risk injury again if he returns too soon, i.e Zeus, Gurley.

If he is physically ready, play him because his natural ability will take over and make up for his lack of knowledge of the playbook. Remember Dawg fans there were only two QB's better than JT coming out of HS; Lawrence & Fields, both of whom have their teams playing at a high level.

Also, there is a reason Bama wanted JT to come and compete in their QB room once he entered the portal. Sarkisian recruited JT when he was the coach at USC.

I'm not saying give up on Stetson because he is South GA grown and tested but whatever his weaknesses are let's offset those with Strengths of the other QB's. Put Mathis and Beck in the game to throw some deep balls and allow Bennett to manage the game. Multiple teams are playing multiple QB's if they don't have a stud behind center and they find ways to win. Heck, look at what Ole Miss did with Corral and Plummlee. If they had our defense they would have destroyed Alabama that game.

Go Dawgs!!!