Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Kirby Smart makes QB declaration on SEC Network, helps Stetson Bennett polish fundamentals

13»

Comments

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No one is panicking over losing Beck and/or Mathis....just included a possibility. These youngsters want to play and start. Their families have a strong influence as well. I have my opinion about Vandagriff. The kid is legit. Plus, he is one heck of a recruiter. DGD already. I merely stated it is to UGA's advantage to maintain his interest...even if Bennett is the chosen one. I do not know how he would view this, except that will be a true freshman and has some time to showcase himself to Kirby. Mathis and Beck will have to make that decision as well as they have already showcased themselves to Kirby. Bennett is starting. Same with Daniels. Going to be a crowded QB room. One or two are bound to seek greener pastures. This is nothing new. We hope Kirby's decisions are right for the team. Pretty much it. He is on the field every day. We enjoy our armchairs.

• MaxMax Posts: 116 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yes Saban and Dabo would bench their QB! Saban did it with Jalen Hurts, who has tons more talent and accomplishments than Stetson. And Dabo had a top notch QB in Kelly Bryant that he ran off in favor of Trevor Lawrence. I may be wrong, but I think JT was among the top 3 QB's in the class with Fields and Lawrence. But we don't play him. Go ahead and start preparing yourself for the Big Bulldog letdown if we have no other option than Stetson. As I said, we SAW it in Tuscaloosa - that IS our future if we don't change. And for those that say the coaches will play the BEST - that is BS! Anyone ever play on a team with a coach's son?

• WoodstockDawgWoodstockDawg Posts: 263 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I tried "Hope" as a strategy for him to prove me wrong for the Bama game but my eyes and evidence from the games proved correct. Bennett has played 2 good qtrs of football and one average. The rest have been bad. He has had more leash than Mathis and has done less. CKS stubborness to prepare any other QB for game situation with Covid or injuries is beyond perplexing. If (and I stress if) our best bet is Bennett that is a major deficiency of our coaching staff either not knowing how to properly assess QB talent or develop it. Bennett is a DGD, but a sub par starting QB for a major program. Any QB on the team could have gotten us to 4-1, but most if not all have a higher ceiling.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Please, what did you see in the Arkansas game that indicated Mathis should have been given “more leash”? I thought Kirby showed great patience with Mathis causing the breakdown of play after play by panicking at the first hint of pressure. I had seen enough when on third down Mathis casually stepped out of bounds a yard short of a first down rather than fighting for a first which resulted in the Dawgs having to punt. Yet, Kirby let him trot back out for the next series. Bennett has deficiencies that are pointed out ad nausium on these DN blogs, but his effort and heart are beyond reproach!

• DefinsDefins Posts: 20 ✭✭ Sophomore

How bout the coaches work on play calling? We have players come and go,but the play calling is always poor.

• DCDirtyBirdDCDirtyBird Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Bottom line, an error like stepping out if bounds too early (we kinda expect QBs to avoid hits) can be fixed. You can't overcome a talent deficit with effort. Bennett is a DGD, but he is not a national/SEC championship level QB.

As far as leash, our offense has gone stretches of the same amount of plays without scoring or being effective under Bennett as it did in the first half of the first game under Mathis. Yet the approach has been Bennett or bust. At worst Mathis should have been given reps at the end of the Auburn and Tennessee games.

What we see playing out with Bennett is what we saw play out with Fromm and Fields. The more talented back up doesn't get much if any opportunity to show his talent for fear of a QB controversy or even worse, for the coach to prove to everyone that he made the right decision even if it costs us a national championship.