Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart re-opens QB competition, won't commit to starting Stetson Bennett at Missouri

SystemSystem Posts: 10,462 admin
edited November 2020 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart re-opens QB competition, won't commit to starting Stetson Bennett at Missouri

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart has not been satisfied with the QB play and will re-open competition with JT Daniels, Carson Beck and D'Wan Mathis

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

Will believe it WHEN I see it

• Options
    SteelerDawgSteelerDawg Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

If Beck and Daniels don't get looks this week IN GAME then Kirby is a clown. In fact, spend the rest of the season giving all three Mathis, Daniels and Beck real game experience until you find a QB that can lead this team.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Did I read that headline correctly? Had to read it twice to make sure. Fair is fair since it was that way with Fields/Fromm never being named the starter as Bennett was. Hopefully 1 QB out of the group shows they're ready to step up and be the leader of the offense.

• Options
    chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good Move Kirby. You took long enough to make it. Being hardheaded and a bully to your offensive coordinators is not good for your career.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020

Thank you Kirby!

" Georgia has dropped to 13th in the SEC in passing efficiency and 11th in the league in passing offense." Ouch....and Bennett has a 46% completion rate which is the lowest in the SEC. Yes, it IS time to seriously look at other options.

Accuracy, Accuracy, Accuracy....Reads, Reads, Reads....Check downs, Check downs, Check downs...Protect the football, Protect the football, Protect the football....and honestly you'd better learn how to throw a back shoulder pass to move the chains. I haven't seen but maybe one of those passes this season.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

There has to be a Dawg in the QB room, someone step up and take the job!

• Options
    DocckDocck Posts: 31 ✭✭ Sophomore

But again, maybe Smart isn't being stubborn and all 3 of the others might be pretty bad. We will see, I hope.

• Options
    DawgByteDawgByte Posts: 416 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Nothing in this report about Carson Beck.

• Options
    SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ok Boys and Girls - Defacto question

Who starts and who sees the field.

Missouri is no push over and a Noon time game is bad Juju for the Dawgs.

Make your choices, put them out there for all to see!

I was corrected last night with my assertion that it was a Red Shirt thing with JT, well 4 games left in the season and he already got a pass last year with the Medical. No reason any of them should not be physically or legally ineligible!!!

• Options
    BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well alrighty then! CKS is really opening up sounds to me we will get to see some new QB's tossing the rock. Who? I have no idea, he might just run the Wild Dawg all game.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020

Never is anything about Beck. 4-star. Mr. Football and state champ in Florida (place with pretty good players). HS coaches saying he's the best they'd ever seen. Gets to Athens and disappears.

• Options
    plrdawgplrdawg Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

Go watch the press conference. Kirby is not going to play a different QB because our current guys are sub-standard, and he would like an up-grade. He is considering a new QB because the current starter is hurt and may not be able to get reps prior to game. SB, according to CKS, was not yanked because of completion percentage, but because of a mild AC strain, which affected his accuracy. It does not matter, that his accuracy on "down-the field" has been bad all year long. Mathis has the wheels to move when needed, but he does not read the defense and pick out open receivers, vs the one's who are not.. He does not communicate plays well, move shifts with the mouth-piece dangling out of the corner of his mouth at the ball snap, and he also misses the long ball to open WR. J.T. Daniels may be a tree, can't move with a bad knee, but he deserves a chance, because the first two failed. Beck may be good in game action, but we don't know. Kirby let J. F. go to become a great player at Ohio State, for Fromm who left early and will never be a starter in the NFL. JF will be a starter in NFL next year. We may have a starter in the NFL who is currently on the bench,, maybe not....It's not SB4, that's for sure. Mathis would need 5 years to develop, and let his brain, and the rest of his body catch up with his 6"6 frame.

• Options
    DawggolferDawggolfer Posts: 49 ✭✭✭ Junior

The lack of a deep ball threat is allowing other teams to load the box on Georgia, which is impacting the running game as well. There is no other reason I can think of that Zeus only gets 6 carries against the Gators.