Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Born to fish...

Comments

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    GradyDawg85GradyDawg85 Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@amjadawgs - well, don’t worry, your son’s young, he’s got a lot of life ahead of him to catch a fish worth showin’ off. /s

Beautiful fish! And congrats to your Son!

• Options
    brady01brady01 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know it's recruiting time, but wanted to bump this back to the top of the list....

Let's talk different types of line: Braid, Fluorocarbon and Monofilament...

Braid - Frog, punch rig and carolina rig to the swivel (Fluorocarine liter) - that's about it!

Flouorocarbon - pretty much GREAT for anything other than top water (best overall line on the market)

Monofilament - top water treble hook baits, that's about it.

Thoughts?

• Options

Just got back from Apalachicola Bay; all 10 lb braid, typically double uni to 20-40 lb fluoro leader then to a non-slip loop knot depending on the structure I'm finishing. Should've been every time, but because I was throwing a light plastic in a clear channel of an empty mud flat I swapped out the fluro for 20 lb mono to get more action on the retrieve. It worked as a 30" red grabbed the lure 5' in front of the kayak and started ripping line as it headed out to the bay. Pulled the anchor stick, line still screaming, so I reached to tighten the drag. At the first increase in pressure, the leader snapped below the knot (thankfully). So, somewhere there's a bull red swimming around with a jerk shad hanging from its lip. Fluro from here on out.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Goodness Grady, do you write for a living? (If not, you should.) I was completely hooked. 😉

Thanks for sharing the scene and the story.

• Options

I've actually switched to braid on almost all of my spinning reels to prevent so much line twist and adds so much sensitivity! 15lb braid which is 6lb diameter to a 6 or 7' 6lb floro leader is an awesome setup for most anything I throw on spinning gear. Other than that I throw braid on my big swimbaits, A Rigs, and flipping stick.. almost everything else is full Floro.

• Options

Actually just pulled the trigger on a new Ultrex and 2 new HDS LIVE units for the ol Ranger 😁😁😁

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Grady, what part of the bay were you on ? I'm on it most days it's not blowin so should I snag that Red Bull I'll save that rig for you. As for the Fluoro, I'm a fool for it. I make all my fly leaders so go through it faster than I should. Buy it in the big spools now and don't use much else.

• Options

Ahhhh, you’re livin’ my dream @DawgBones - awesome for you! Just love it down that way.

I was on the SGI side, nearish Nick’s Hole on a nice incoming tide during last Friday morning’s crazy thick fog. I was using my spinning gear because the middle butt section of my fly rod shattered the day before. Wish I could say that was due to an even bigger hookup, but it simply happened during back to forward cast transition. Hoping the Orvis guarantee is all it’s claimed to be.

I hope you land “my red” and many more. If you do, on your release, tell him to eat well, stay safe and I’ll hope to see him next Thanksgiving!

• Options

Wow @Dawgsince76, talk about your tough acts to follow - a nice slot on a "Snoopy" rod! Your Son just might think "this fishin' stuff is easy, Dad!" Nicely, nicely done!

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks and yes I never let a day go by without giving a boat load of gratitude for being able to be where I am. Know right where you were for that big Red and that was certainly a weird foggy morn. Being right on the bay one would think we'd get them frequently but we really don't get a lot of those fogs so thick they almost drip. Much luck with your rod issue. Orvis should honor their guarantee no ?s asked but if not do post your experience here.

• Options

Some great posts above! I guess I should have made it clear, I was basing my original "line" post based on bass fishing as that is what I do. I do prefer fluoro over anything else. These are a few pics of my 4th bass boat, which I purchased almost 3 months ago. Really enjoying it - most especially with my 14 year old son!

• Options

Sorry, did it incorrectly the first time. I also have a Ulterra Trolling motor and Helix 9 SI and DI all networked.

• Options
    edited December 2020

Awesome rig @amjadawgs!

That 250 hanging on the back makes me think of a "line" I always heard attributed to Dale Earnhardt (and if it wasn't his, it shoulda been).

Allegedly, the Intimidator when asked why he had such a high HP engine hanging on the stern of his bass boat responded...

"Well, I find that when you hook a largemouth at 70 mph, it takes the fight right out of it."

Beautiful boat top down to the diamond plate!

Tight lines - any and all lines

• Options

Running 70+mph doesn't help you to catch more fish, but it does give you more time to fish!

• Options

My next investment will be either a Humminbird 360 or Garmin Livescope... I'd love to hear anyone's recommendations.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@GradyDawg85 I wanted to make sure you saw my post above (from a couple of days ago.) I'm a writer myself and I don't hand out compliments to others very often. Genuinely curious to know if you do any writing, and either way, just wanted to thank you for the story.