Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

REPORTS: Georgia team captain Monty Rice among Bulldogs opting out of bowl

Comments

• Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Do not under estimate Cincinnati, they are in the top ten for a reason!

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This has got to stop. Universities pour a lot of time and effort into these players, expecting them to fulfill their obligations. If this was reversed and Georgia said you couldn’t play, players would have a fit. Opt out = quit. It’s a shame that these players quit on their teammates. I understand trying to protect their future, but they play all year until their isn’t anything to play for other than pride. If they have to start paying players, then they should be made to play in every game. No quitting, I mean opting out.

• CTDCTD Posts: 21 ✭ Freshman

"Among Bulldog(s) opting out"?

There are two so far....so why speculate.

Typical MG....wanting to make a grand/exaggerated

column. Everything else is "might", "maybe" or "possibly".

Can we stick to facts for once....geez I'm tired of MG's lousy reporting

• CTDCTD Posts: 21 ✭ Freshman

yeah...they don't get free apparel, shoes, room and board, meals, class materials, a $30,000 set of practice and game gear, preparing them for NFL by showcasing talent, education (degree), etc.

If the shoe were on the other foot, we'd be screaming that the players were let down. Whatever happen to finishing what you started and honoring commitments. When these guys leaving like this....the are letting down their teammates, the university and shows a quitters mentality. Who wants a quitter who opts out in the NFL when the going gets rough? Tired of this...

• PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So, I know this is a stretch, but with your logic, the opting out players should also not ride in a car, ride a motorcycle, cross a street, etc, as those might result in injury and affect their draft stock. I call BS. They are FOOTBALL players. The risk to a career-ending injury is similar for the bowl game as it is when they are a freshman. If they are so worried about it, they should just sit for 3 years and go pro without taking a college snap.

• SCDawgFanSCDawgFan Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

I will still enjoy watching them play in a New Year's Day bowl and will also enjoy watching some of those long time loyal Dawgs like Nate McBride see more field time. Would also like another chance to see Milton carry the ball some more!!

Good point. What if UGA told Stetson, "Hey, we have so much talent at qb. We can't afford to have you on the team, any more. Too much risk that the younger guys won't get playing time. Therefore, we are opting out of your scholarship. Best of luck to you."

To those who are of the mindset "they are doing what is right, for THEM.", why can't the University do the same? Both have committed resources into the other. Imagine the outcry if a University "opted out" of a scholarship, for a player.

This opting out crap has to stop.

• robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

new guy posting on DN here. i'm a little surprised with DJ opting out. Thought he might be one to use that free year to see about improving draft stock. All in favor of Rice; he needs to get healthy. I'm not of a strong opinion about the opt out thing either way; pros and cons with a big plus having these practices and game situations for younger players with big expectations next year. To me, the more important ones to watch will be Davis, Stokes, and Campbell; probably going, but sure would be nice to stay.

• jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 130 ✭✭✭ Junior

In today's world, "high character" does not mean what it did when I was younger. There is way too much money involved in so many areas. I truly feel that nearly all of the young men who are part of UGA sports have a high level of character compared to the average found in today's world. In the end, each young athlete has to decide what is best for him and his family. I wish there could be a way to provide insurance for these athletes so that they would be protected in case of severe injury, especially for those who have risked that injury time and again in games to develop their skills to the point that it could result in their success at the next level. Of course, even if they make it there, they could be injured in attempting to "make the team" in professional sports. Injury is always a risk in their chosen career path. I am not happy about "opting out", but I will ( perhaps wrongly ) believe that their ties to their teammates is something that makes it hard for them to take that course of action, thus, I wish they could have insurance that would realistically cover their true losses from an injury late in their college careers.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Something we need to remember. This is not a typical bowl season. No fans in the stands, limited time for teams in host city, and virtually no team festivities. Players have been opting out of games and the entire season this year. Why be surprised that a few Dawgs chose to opt out of the bowl? Dawg Nation is blessed that the team held together as brothers even after the loss to UF.

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Does anyone think Herschel, David Greene, David Pollack, Champ Bailey and many of the other former Georgia greats would have “quit” on their teammates and not play in a bowl game?

I was thinking same. The problem is, with the current NCAA rules regarding professional athletes, you cannot project what the market will bear for a particular athlete's salary. For example, Fromm was a good qb, but was drafted much lower than projected. If an insurance policy for, say, ten million dollars had been bound, and he was injured in the bowl game, the insurance company would have lost a fortune. There is no good way for the company to determine their exposure, given we have no idea what the player will earn until AFTER they have played all the games. I think it should be legal for college players to sign NFL contracts while in school, for future play. If college players could sign an NFL contract while still in school, then an insurance policy would be doable and paid for by the NFL team with whom the player has signed. But the NCAA says once you hire an agent, that's it. It is time for NCAA to catch up with the times. Signing a contract for the following year no more makes someone a professional player than signing a letter of intent makes a high school kid an NCAA player.

That idea would also help kids make the decision to stay or go to the draft. If they are drafted and offered a crappy contract, then they might say "no way" and stay in school a year longer to improve their stock.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2020

I'm kinda 50-50 on this trend. Personally, I don't think it has much to do with character. It's just the way the game has evolved. You can't blame the players for looking out for #1. And I certainly understand guys opting out that have been dealing with nagging injuries and such. Obviously, if you're in the playoffs then guys aren't opting out. This is a wierd year where many players who experienced disappointing seasons (the Dawgs being one team) would rather just end it now. Some bowls won't even be allowed to have any fans unlike the SEC regular season. And if your team isn't in the playoffs and you are a higher draft pick then maybe it makes more sense to just pack your bags instead of risking injury. It's also kinda like the transfer portal or coming back to play as a senior where the coach and team bond can make the difference.

If Clemson loses then expect guys to opt out for Clemson too. I hope Clemson wins, because we already play them in early September. No sense in possibly losing twice to the same team in back-to-back games! HA!

GO DAWGS!

• WCHWCH Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I hope that CKM learned from the debacle he caused at the Sugar Bowl 2 years ago that you don't let these ex-bulldogs anywhere near the team members between now and the bowl game, because they are poison.

I don't know what the rolls are now, but if you quit the team are you off scholarship? You sure should be. I'm disappointed in Monty Rice, I thought he had more character than this.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good points David. You have to go and sit in a room by yourself, til game time I guess. LOL! Although I do hear that Florida is open for business. Hello Orange Bowl. I hope Clemson loses to Notre Dame(as much as I can't stand the Irish) so we would play Clemson in the Orange Bowl it is being bantered about. That would be a game to watch.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's an interesting idea but as you sort of point out in the end, it would be specific to guys who end up getting drafted lower than they thought they would. Might benefit a handful of players each year, but I'm not sure it would be the catalyst for any sweeping modernization. I do like it though.

Back to the original topic, I'm about 80/20 opposed. I get the whole injury avoidance aspect, but how often do career-ending injuries actually occur? More to the point, how many times has a would-be pro career been erased by an injury in the player's final game? They've made it 3,4,5 years, but they can't go one more game?

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe they are getting counseled by mom and dad, whomever, "you don't wont to risk getting an injury and losing hundreds of thousands of dollars do you? What are they going to say? Sc#w it? I'm playing, in a game no one will remember much 10 years from now. Then if you do play you're tippy toeing around, and tha'ts when you do get hurt.

I know, I hate it, I remember when winning your bowl game was a huge deal, the passion involved was palpable. . Like everything else though things change, and not necessarily for the better. Get ready for even more junk made in China.

• 87dawg87dawg Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't like the opt-out because it makes it out that the player feels another game isn't worth his time. The fact is, football is a team sport and without that team, he wouldn't be the star he is, hoping for a higher draft slot.

You are afraid of getting hurt in a game? Tell that to Richard "Evel Knievel" LeCounte. The fact is, there are very few career ending injuries in football. Heck, statistically, there are very few season ending injuries. Tua Tagovailoa is starting in the NFL, was taken fifth overall and I would have sworn he would never play again.

You owe your team that game. It is important to these guys and no way I think any one of those returning next year feel that an extra game is a waste of their time and a "practice game". It is a game and an opportunity to play one more down in a sad year.

• DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Many will hate this, and I understand, and respect your right to disagree. But here is my message to Monty (and, by extension, the rest of them), which I delivered personally:

"Character is a tricky thing; either you have it or you don't. And we only find out at mileposts in life. We (UGA) now have the answer. You're welcome, for all UGA has done for you. Giving back? Yah, you probably figure you'll send them a check and all will be 100%. Wrong."

• DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

And, to continue: You're on the team but you decide to quit? Fine. Kirby isn't going to take you to the bowl game? Gee, are you kidding me? Duh. You quit on the team, you're NOT ON the team. Move out of the dorm (if you live there), stop eating free food, stop using the facilities, hand in your key card, and your DAWG card, and GO.

Any SEALs, Rangers, SOFs out there? Do you bail on your team on the last mission because you've got a promotion coming up and you might stub your toe?

And again, only one opinion. Understanding there are others just as strongly-held on the other side.

But this, "All about ME" mentality is corrosive, in my opinion.