Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

REPORTS: Georgia team captain Monty Rice among Bulldogs opting out of bowl

Comments

• WCHWCH Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I hope that CKM learned from the debacle he caused at the Sugar Bowl 2 years ago that you don't let these ex-bulldogs anywhere near the team members between now and the bowl game, because they are poison.

I don't know what the rolls are now, but if you quit the team are you off scholarship? You sure should be. I'm disappointed in Monty Rice, I thought he had more character than this.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good points David. You have to go and sit in a room by yourself, til game time I guess. LOL! Although I do hear that Florida is open for business. Hello Orange Bowl. I hope Clemson loses to Notre Dame(as much as I can't stand the Irish) so we would play Clemson in the Orange Bowl it is being bantered about. That would be a game to watch.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's an interesting idea but as you sort of point out in the end, it would be specific to guys who end up getting drafted lower than they thought they would. Might benefit a handful of players each year, but I'm not sure it would be the catalyst for any sweeping modernization. I do like it though.

Back to the original topic, I'm about 80/20 opposed. I get the whole injury avoidance aspect, but how often do career-ending injuries actually occur? More to the point, how many times has a would-be pro career been erased by an injury in the player's final game? They've made it 3,4,5 years, but they can't go one more game?

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe they are getting counseled by mom and dad, whomever, "you don't wont to risk getting an injury and losing hundreds of thousands of dollars do you? What are they going to say? Sc#w it? I'm playing, in a game no one will remember much 10 years from now. Then if you do play you're tippy toeing around, and tha'ts when you do get hurt.

I know, I hate it, I remember when winning your bowl game was a huge deal, the passion involved was palpable. . Like everything else though things change, and not necessarily for the better. Get ready for even more junk made in China.

• 87dawg87dawg Posts: 395 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't like the opt-out because it makes it out that the player feels another game isn't worth his time. The fact is, football is a team sport and without that team, he wouldn't be the star he is, hoping for a higher draft slot.

You are afraid of getting hurt in a game? Tell that to Richard "Evel Knievel" LeCounte. The fact is, there are very few career ending injuries in football. Heck, statistically, there are very few season ending injuries. Tua Tagovailoa is starting in the NFL, was taken fifth overall and I would have sworn he would never play again.

You owe your team that game. It is important to these guys and no way I think any one of those returning next year feel that an extra game is a waste of their time and a "practice game". It is a game and an opportunity to play one more down in a sad year.

• DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Many will hate this, and I understand, and respect your right to disagree. But here is my message to Monty (and, by extension, the rest of them), which I delivered personally:

"Character is a tricky thing; either you have it or you don't. And we only find out at mileposts in life. We (UGA) now have the answer. You're welcome, for all UGA has done for you. Giving back? Yah, you probably figure you'll send them a check and all will be 100%. Wrong."

• DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

And, to continue: You're on the team but you decide to quit? Fine. Kirby isn't going to take you to the bowl game? Gee, are you kidding me? Duh. You quit on the team, you're NOT ON the team. Move out of the dorm (if you live there), stop eating free food, stop using the facilities, hand in your key card, and your DAWG card, and GO.

Any SEALs, Rangers, SOFs out there? Do you bail on your team on the last mission because you've got a promotion coming up and you might stub your toe?

And again, only one opinion. Understanding there are others just as strongly-held on the other side.

But this, "All about ME" mentality is corrosive, in my opinion.

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Y’all wanna know what fixes the opt out bug?

32 team playoff brought up by Mark Richt.

kids opt out when nothings on the line. One thing that’s driven this is the ease of getting in a bowl. When everyone is eligible, no one noncfp bowl is more special than the next.

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2020

Was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say.. Don't say anything........ Silence

• SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I really don't understand the outrage from some of you. Let's be clear, a majority of the kids feel they should be paid to play the college game. 24/7 sports did an anymomus poll 2 years ago when the lawsuit was in full swing and they poised the questions for the athlete to receive financial payment they would have to forego almost all of the entitlements they receive today. 86% said yes and switch them having to pay for school, books and food.

So, if that is true and I tend to believe it, a majority of the players are not "all in" on the "Ole College Spirit" that we assume drives them to be great! We Love the DAWGS and they want to get paid now or for a very few lucky ones, in the NFL. I would love for there not to be an "Opt Out" of anything, but until there are consequences for their actions, it is not worth the risk of one more game!

They do keep the scholarship and all that comes with it if they opt out and I don't feel too strongly about that one way or the other. What I do feel strongly about, don't let them go to the game.....seeing Baker and all the others on the sidelines was too much for me, let them stay at home and get ready for the NFL, obviously that is more important than a silly bowl game. Even if they get a boat load of free stuff, that is the only reason they are there in the first place. How does the adage go "BIG ME, little team", kids these days with their rock and roll music SMH.

• jaxDawg2jaxDawg2 Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

As much as I hate it, I can't blame these young men for protecting their own interests. It's a "million dollar decision", or more, and I just won't criticize them.

That said, the combination of the 4-team playoff and the opting out of prime players has made bowl games (even more) irrelevant. It especially hits better teams, who are likely to have more NFL-ready players.

My two-cents worth is this: (a) go to an 8 team playoff - 5 major conference champs and 3 wild cards; and (b) don't count the bowl games (except playoffs) toward final season rankings. Acknowledge them for what they are: exhibitions that prove nothing about who's the best team.

• EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If the team is not in the playoffs these bowl games mean nothing and the players who feel they will get to the next level shouldn't play in That bowl. This is a business. They don't the school or fans nothing. It's just not smart to play and take that chance. Some people hate change and they hate that these players are doing more for their own self-interest

• KBPKBP Posts: 384 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Popeyethesailor ,

I agree your post is a stretch in response to mine. I never hinted they should avoid all potential risk of daily living in fear of dropping in the draft, which is what you're speaking of. They chose to risk injury as freshmen, sophomores, and juniors because they can't go pro out of high school. Now, as draft eligible upperclassmen, they're making a different decision. Let's see if a draft eligible prospect who's in the playoff opts-out one day.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wish it wasn't so, but it is. There is no loyalty to team and school anymore and those of us reacting with shock and awe over this news (and probably more to follow), just need to get over it. These kids come in as bright-eyed, eager freshman just happy to have a Power 5 scholarship, and leave 3-4 years later as entitled young men, eager to "make that paper." For the players it's all about the money. For the coaches, it's all about the money. For the schools, it's all about the money. For the conferences, it's all about the money. And for the TV networks, it's all about the money. Only us fans (silly us) truly care about the games themselves. The sooner we all get over that, the better we'll feel. I believe that expanding the playoff would provide some relief here, but only for those teams that make it. I knew where this train was headed when Leonard Fournette got it started a few years ago at LSU. And now it's running full steam. Good luck stopping it.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well all I can say is I hope the Dawgs can pull off a W with whoever shows up. A win is a nice way to launch the 2021 campaign. And hey losing just don’t feel to good. All in all with this pandemic thing I’m just glad we even had college football to watch this year. So in the end I hope we win the bowl game, if we lose the sting won’t last long, I’m already gearing my mind up for next year. What’s far more interesting to me is who stays for next year vs who goes.