Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

REPORTS: Georgia team captain Monty Rice among Bulldogs opting out of bowl

Comments

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Y’all wanna know what fixes the opt out bug?

32 team playoff brought up by Mark Richt.

kids opt out when nothings on the line. One thing that’s driven this is the ease of getting in a bowl. When everyone is eligible, no one noncfp bowl is more special than the next.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2020

Was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say.. Don't say anything........ Silence

• Options
    SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I really don't understand the outrage from some of you. Let's be clear, a majority of the kids feel they should be paid to play the college game. 24/7 sports did an anymomus poll 2 years ago when the lawsuit was in full swing and they poised the questions for the athlete to receive financial payment they would have to forego almost all of the entitlements they receive today. 86% said yes and switch them having to pay for school, books and food.

So, if that is true and I tend to believe it, a majority of the players are not "all in" on the "Ole College Spirit" that we assume drives them to be great! We Love the DAWGS and they want to get paid now or for a very few lucky ones, in the NFL. I would love for there not to be an "Opt Out" of anything, but until there are consequences for their actions, it is not worth the risk of one more game!

They do keep the scholarship and all that comes with it if they opt out and I don't feel too strongly about that one way or the other. What I do feel strongly about, don't let them go to the game.....seeing Baker and all the others on the sidelines was too much for me, let them stay at home and get ready for the NFL, obviously that is more important than a silly bowl game. Even if they get a boat load of free stuff, that is the only reason they are there in the first place. How does the adage go "BIG ME, little team", kids these days with their rock and roll music SMH.

• Options
    jaxDawg2jaxDawg2 Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

As much as I hate it, I can't blame these young men for protecting their own interests. It's a "million dollar decision", or more, and I just won't criticize them.

That said, the combination of the 4-team playoff and the opting out of prime players has made bowl games (even more) irrelevant. It especially hits better teams, who are likely to have more NFL-ready players.

My two-cents worth is this: (a) go to an 8 team playoff - 5 major conference champs and 3 wild cards; and (b) don't count the bowl games (except playoffs) toward final season rankings. Acknowledge them for what they are: exhibitions that prove nothing about who's the best team.

• Options
    EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If the team is not in the playoffs these bowl games mean nothing and the players who feel they will get to the next level shouldn't play in That bowl. This is a business. They don't the school or fans nothing. It's just not smart to play and take that chance. Some people hate change and they hate that these players are doing more for their own self-interest

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Popeyethesailor ,

I agree your post is a stretch in response to mine. I never hinted they should avoid all potential risk of daily living in fear of dropping in the draft, which is what you're speaking of. They chose to risk injury as freshmen, sophomores, and juniors because they can't go pro out of high school. Now, as draft eligible upperclassmen, they're making a different decision. Let's see if a draft eligible prospect who's in the playoff opts-out one day.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wish it wasn't so, but it is. There is no loyalty to team and school anymore and those of us reacting with shock and awe over this news (and probably more to follow), just need to get over it. These kids come in as bright-eyed, eager freshman just happy to have a Power 5 scholarship, and leave 3-4 years later as entitled young men, eager to "make that paper." For the players it's all about the money. For the coaches, it's all about the money. For the schools, it's all about the money. For the conferences, it's all about the money. And for the TV networks, it's all about the money. Only us fans (silly us) truly care about the games themselves. The sooner we all get over that, the better we'll feel. I believe that expanding the playoff would provide some relief here, but only for those teams that make it. I knew where this train was headed when Leonard Fournette got it started a few years ago at LSU. And now it's running full steam. Good luck stopping it.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well all I can say is I hope the Dawgs can pull off a W with whoever shows up. A win is a nice way to launch the 2021 campaign. And hey losing just don’t feel to good. All in all with this pandemic thing I’m just glad we even had college football to watch this year. So in the end I hope we win the bowl game, if we lose the sting won’t last long, I’m already gearing my mind up for next year. What’s far more interesting to me is who stays for next year vs who goes.

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Monty Rice has played in 47 games for UGA. What would have happened had he said, after Game #44, that he'd decided to "opt out" of playing any more because he might have been hurt, or had an injury exacerbated? Would we be saying the same things?

It's totally about not giving a flying squirrel (used an alternative term to avoid being banned) about your team, only about yourself. What? You couldn't get hurt in Game #42? Why did you play?

The nomenclature is even wrong. Who invented "opt out" as a thing? Sounds so simple and innocuous.

It's QUITTING on your team - and your friends. Period.

Reminds me of the guy my friends knew who allowed his wife to work to put him through medical school and then, on Christmas Eve, while she was in the hospital giving birth to their child, cleaned out the bank accounts and bolted, even taking the Christmas presents from under the tree. Here's a rule I believe to be true:

"Your character is not defined by what you say; it is defined by what you do."

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I hate to see it but understand why high draft prospects would opt out. After all, these elite athletes for the most part went to school to play ball so they could get in to the league. It's tough on the fans spirit but it is what it is. If I were one of those with a lower draft rating, I would probably want to showcase my talents on a national stage but who knows how much that game will help.

The NCAA needs to revamp the playoff system. They are the ones that caused this mass opt out bowl thing because the importance of all games outside of the playoffs just don't carry the much weight anymore. Expand the playoffs to 16 teams and do away with all other bowl games. a 6 or 7 win team is probably not worthy of a bowl anyway.

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 348 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't like this trend of opting out of bowl games. I think LeCounte will play because he needs to redeem himself for being a Dumb@$$ after the game when he got hurt.

• Options
    Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This season was a bust and a huge disapppointment for dawg nation. And that includes the players big time. We had playoff hopes that were attainable and right in front of us. Then our qb situation went south. Coaching took a step back. Game plans were crap. In game adjustments were putrid. Injuries piled up. And now we want these kids to be super amped up for a bowl game against Cincinnati? And we say they are being selfish. Just so you can see them play in the crappy peach bowl? Get real people. It ain’t about you.

• Options
    SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just read this and thought it related to the "Opt Out" issue. Consider the number of players who were drafted by NFL teams in 2019: 254. In other words, only approximately 7% of eligible players get drafted and don't forget the free agents that are trying to make the 53 man roster. Also look at the difference between 1st round and 4th round money, to make that easier to understand, it is many millions of dollars.

So unless you are an Elite college player and actually can crack the top 32 picks, why would you "burn a bridge" and quit before the season is over? Because it doesn't matter if you play in a bowl game(more now than previously) that isn't part of the CFP.

I have read all of these comments and so many points are directed to those who chose to quit before the season is over and after finding out how many kids believe they will get drafted, it is nothing but "Hope and a Prayer" for 1/2 of the 7% who actually make a roaster for longer than 3 years.

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

So, what if the school comes to a scholarship player, who for whatever reason is not playing up to potential and says we are "opting out" of our obligation to pay for your education, health care, room and board and you are dismissed from the team plus you owe us the money we have invested...this is ethically bankrupt and not the way a reputable organization works... it would be the end of collegiate sports....young men who selfishly refuse to keep their commitments to their teammates, and school are acting in an ethically bankrupt manner as well. Sooner or later the lack of ethical backbone will come back a exact payment....is this not taught to these young men??

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm sorry, but if UGA does play Cincinnati, it might do Campbell and Stokes good to sit out. Considering how poor they played against passing teams, due to overrated pass defense, watching them get smoked by the Bearcats will do nothing but hurt their draft stock. I know people are going to lose their minds over this, but it is what it is. Let THEM prove me wrong.

I do agree with CKS, opting out, stay home. If they decide not to play AFTER getting there, should have to reimburse the university for travel expenses.

GO DAWGS!!!!! (at least the ones that are left to play)

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Most of these kids know that even if they get drafted in the low rounds there is still a decent signing bonus and more likely than not will be the most money they will make in several years of life after ball combined. A fifth round pick will see a 300,000 dollar signing bonus and a 6th rounder at least 161,000 signing bonus. Many of these kids won't graduate and get their degree and after ball will do good to get a coaching job at a HS if they can go back and finish their degree. This is it, right now, for the vast majority of those good enough to make the League. Most of those who are drafted won't last 3 years in the League. The NFL is cruel in many ways with players getting injured and being cut regularly.

It's easy for us to sit here and judge these kids, most of us do alright or have done alright with earning a paycheck. Ball is all they know. If someone tells them they are about to get paid, don't risk it, what are they supposed to do? How many coaches have left their teams for other schools during the bowl season? Several. Money is money. Unfortunately coaches don't always lead by example.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@DJG76 ,

Under your scenario, the schools should offer employment contracts if they want that much control. Is it hard to accept that most elite high school football and basketball players do not go to college primarily to get a degree? If it were so, they all would stay until they graduate.

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

I wish everyone the best, but lets be real. Do these guys think they are first rounders? News flash.......they are not! This is the difference between us and the likes of other elite programs. The others have guys that are leaders and stay and IMPROVE their draft stock.

• Options
    Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior