Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers following College Football Playoff announcements

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited December 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football winners and losers following College Football Playoff announcements

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Georgia football winners and losers from the final week of 2020 season Winner: The Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl This

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

Expand the playoffs, but do it in a way that keeps those things that make college football special and unique, conference champs, bowl season and historic tie-ins, at-large invites. The last thing i'd want is to make the playoff the NFL light using things such as seedings, byes, home field advantage. Using those ideas this year's playoff would be OSU-Oregon (the rare example of a confeence champ which is really un-derserving) in the Rose. Oklahoma vs at-large Cinncinatti, in the Cotton. Bama vs at-large Notre Dame in the Sugar. And, Clemson vs at-large Texas A&M in the orange. Rose/Cotton winners in Fiesta, and Sugar/Orange winners in Peach. Then the final in a selected city. Set up some guidelines to maybe preclude an Oregeon situation, as well as the selection process for the at-large teams (keep the committee).

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

While you have a right to your opinion Connor and we, as fans, have a right to ours and don’t need to be told by a sports writer (?) how we should feel or be reprimanded like a child for having a difference of opinion. Telling hundreds of thousands of fans their opinion is weak seems pretty weak to me in its on right. Like some things just need to go unsaid, some things need to go unwritten. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

Looking forward to leadership on the field Jan. 1, 2021 at Noon. The opt outs will be hoping not to be Elijah Holyfield on May 1, 2021.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wish I could down-vote this article, for more than one of its segments.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Loser: College Football Playoff committee: It's easy to see how they favored Ohio ST, who hasn't earned or proven anything in 2020.

Notre Dame got "IN" over a one loss TA&M.

Looking a little further down the rankings - only shows how the committee's bias continues. Georgia lost to Alabama and Florida.

Oklahoma lost to 4-6 Kansas ST and 8-3 Iowa ST.

The committee has Oklahoma ranked higher than Georgia. I would like to hear their justification for that.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The spreads on the games being played at a neutral site is pretty much all you need to know about the rankings. Would TxA&M be a 7 point dog to Clemson? I understand OSU getting in as they would be favored over Okla and Florida and would be a double digit favorite over Cincinnati.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Evidently Conner thinks you are a bunch of losers. I wonder what would happen if all the so-called losers stopped reading his articles and commenting underneath? Just say'n. Not exactly a good way to grow a fan base.

• Options
    2statedawg2statedawg Posts: 21 ✭ Freshman

If you think it's bad now, wait to see how horrible college football eventually gets if this proposed bill is introduced and passed to set up a government bureaucracy to force the schools to pass along revenue to the players and allow them to hire agents as as student athlete, etc. etc.. And, that's just a starting point. College football will no longer exist as we once knew it.

Everyone, has an opinion but I agree with the premise that no one twisted any players arms to sign on the dotted line. They could have gone out in the workforce and starting earning income.

They have a right to opt out. If you're truly physically hurt, I get it.

The rest could be hogwash too. Who knows??

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Anti-"Finish the drill."

• Options
    MLVMLV Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

Reading these comments, I can see that I am not the only one who objects to players on scholarship quitting on their teammates/coaches, and fanbases.

I think we need to be VERY careful with playoff expansion. College football is the best game around and I certainly don't want to see it morph into something much less interesting (like other sports with a regular season that doesn't amount to much).

The selection of Ohio State and Notre Dame were victories for the establishment. In times like these, where we are getting glimpses of just how powerful the establishment is , did anyone really expect two teams that epitomize college football royalty like Ohio State and Notre Dame to get overlooked?

One positive regarding opt outs for Georgia: We get to see a closer version of what our '21 Dawgs will look like.....the same Dawgs who will take the field against Clemson in a few months. Hopefully, this pandemic stuff will be a thing of the past by then and we can have packed stadiums again the way God intended.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I believe we are in agreement with most (possibly, all) of your comments. My only quibble is, Do you think ohio state would be any more deserving in an 8 team playoff? 5 game regular season, really?

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So it's ok for you to express your opinion, and criticize others for their opinion connor? Can you say HYPOCRITE?

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

I absolutely love this time of year, it reminds of me how much a segment of the college football fanbase maintains a twisted, sordid relationship with the players.

I am nearly 100% convinced that it has nothing to do with the fact that most of those headed to NFL, or even trying to make it, are African American. Nothing at all to do that.

It also reminds me that said fanbase has little to no influence or impact on the decisions, outcomes, and lives of these young men, which is how it should be.

• Options
    DawgByteDawgByte Posts: 416 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Conner Riley: "Georgia is going to have players opt-out of the bowl game. This isn’t a new trend, as we saw the likes of Andrew Thomas and Isaiah Wilson do so last season."

Conner, this didn't happen ten years ago, so yes this is a new trend. Ten years ago players played in Bowl games and then went to the combine. In relative dollars it's about the same as today, so those of us who think there's still no "i" in team are not losers!