Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Covid Vaccine

Comments

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

Have a little redness about the size of a nickel and tender at the injection site, other than that nothing else. Moderna brand. @Polynikes said don't believe the BS and that is exactly right on the money, 1 million plus already vaccinated and reactions a very rare.....

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,648 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm wondering how many times we will need to get this vaccine. I know it's a 2-shot process, but how long is it good for? Covid is not going away. It's here forever. Just like the Swine Flu is still here (and was the prevalent flu strain this year before Covid hit). Will people be required to get the seasonal flu shot in addition to the Covid shots every year? There is no vaccine that covers all flu strains. When you get your annual flu shot, it's for whatever strain the CDC sees as the most prevalent that year, but there are usually several strains going around (that's why you can get the flu shot and still get the flu). So, what will be the protocol in 2021?

Yep. I already saw an article the day after the vaccine was first used. Some nurse got vaccinated and then fainted. The headline was something like "Nurse passes out after receiving COVID vaccine". Clearly trying to get people freaked out. However, when you read the story, this nurse has a history of passing out after receiving any shot. She has some weird hyper active pain response and has passed out at least six times in the last couple of months for various reasons. The COVID shot had nothing to do with her fainting....but you wouldn't know that by the headline. The media is flat out of control, and FB is the worst of them all.

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-afs:Content:9817674811

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

They are not sure some involved with the sciences behind it say immunity could be 3 years

• PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

She's squeamish is all - She may give shots or be in the OR and maybe she's been in a trauma OR and been doused in blood without any problems - It is different when it's you.

There is no "condition" that causes someone to faint when they get a shot. I know this bc that's what I do for a living - Interventional Pain. .

I've done thousands of procedures on pts that are awake - I have ways to mitigate that risk, and after thousands of procedures I've had only a few ppl faint, and all of them had a history of it previously.

Give even the most needle averse pt on Earth a Valium tablet 30 min prior and their "condition" disappears...Because it needle anxiety alone.

She's generally anxious and doesn't like needles - Giving them is fine bc she's in control of the situation, and that's exactly why dudes with tattoos pass out - They don't like needles when they're not in control of the situation.

That story is laughable and absurd AT BEST, nefarious and evil AT WORST.

Yep, but if you simply read the headline (like so many people do) you would be grossly misled...as intended. All networks and news outlets do it.

• Dawgsince76Dawgsince76 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • CLT_DawgCLT_Dawg Posts: 52 ✭✭✭ Junior

The cable news 24 hour news cycle had already sent us along this path. But you are right, social media has done so much damage that I don’t know if we will ever repair it. At least cable news viewers tended to have higher levels of education, and there used to be journalistic norms that constrained them-apparently those have weakened as well. It seems like the threat of defamation suits are they only true constraints left. But now social media connects with people with much lower levels of political knowledge and education. These folks will believe anything that is consistent with their preexisting belief system. No matter the source.

• agudawgagudawg Posts: 19 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don’t want to start anything but why would anyone take an unproven vaccine that was rushed compared to other vaccines when you may still get the virus?

Especially when this thing has over a 99% chance of survival for everyone under 75?

Not a chance I am willing to take.

• CLT_DawgCLT_Dawg Posts: 52 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not a medical doctor, so would defer in part to the real doctors, but I am a political scientist, so I have an understanding of the regulatory process, in general, and in this instance. My understanding was that the speed was more a function of doing some of the procedures in parallel, as opposed to serially, which is normally the case. In addition, as others with medical expertise here and elsewhere have noted, the researchers where not starting from scratch. They had the generally framework in place having known about the coronavirus for more than a decade.

• Dawg123Dawg123 Posts: 27 ✭✭ Sophomore

This vaccine has been in the works since SARS.. not “brand new”. It’s safe.

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2020

Very fair questions and sorry somebody DV'd your thoughts. I'll give you my thoughts. First, death isn't the only risk, but the vaccine appears to reduce the 1-2% mortality number to ~zero, so there is a lot of value imho. It also reduces the chances for an unfavorable outcome other than death. It is an individual decision, and I could see a healthy 25 Y/O passing on it.

I have a very simple way of viewing the mRNA approach here: the mRNA instructions, which are very perishable (notice how long they live at room temperature), have your cells make decoys for your immune system to shoot at--they look like a mallard, but they aren't mallards. Mallards aren't scary, so maybe think rattlesnakes instead. Once your immune system recognizes them as the enemy in a jab or two, you likely have few worries for Covid. I'll vote with my feet, and I'm getting it as soon as it's offered!

So, my answer to why is the same as why get insurance. You have a very low risk of needing it, but it could be a lifesaver if you are in the unlucky lot that needs it.

• agudawgagudawg Posts: 19 ✭✭✭ Junior

so what else becomes a social responsibility to stop deaths? Many more than that die of all sorts of things. I have no problem with anyone taking this voluntarily. It just shouldn’t be mandatory

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

100% agree that no one should be forced to take it. I have a feeling that a lot of private employers will require it, as will some schools and colleges, etc, like other vaccinations.

As far as the “freedoms vs. responsibility “ argument and other social responsibilities - we have been determining what side of that line the law falls for decades in our country. This will be no different.

• volatilisvolatilis Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Very persuasive knowledge that you share. Is the vaccine for the protection of the recipient or for other people that the recipient may come in contact with, or even both? Not trying to compare this to the seasonal flu, but several people do not take the flu shot (which you would know that better than most). Is it selfish to endanger other people when 'you' are trying to protect yourself from whatever 'you' may believe about these things?

Thanks for the information you shared.

• Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A vaccine for a cold with a 99.6 survival rate. No thanks