Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Crean

nawdawgnawdawg Posts: 165 ✭✭✭ Junior

Unless my math is wrong, Tom Crean is now 7-33 in SEC play. That should not be an acceptable standard at UGA for any sport. I'm tired of the rebuild, new player argument. At this point he is an equal or even a downgrade from Fox. We need to get serious and hire a winner. Slightly above average would be better than what we have now.

Comments

• PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • DawgByteDawgByte Posts: 416 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Brooks officially has his first issue to deal with.

• ChopperChopper Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Our basketball team sucks

• nawdawgnawdawg Posts: 165 ✭✭✭ Junior

I would like to come up with a complicated analysis of why were aren't very good, but the main reason i notice is we don't shoot the ball well. Don't shoot 3s well which is an absolute requirement in todays game. I know the other stuff like turnover ratio etc... Crean is signing the players, so that's one him. We completely wasted Anthony Edwards last year.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can’t shoot and turn the ball over way too much. I think at one point last night they had more to’s than points. Sadly don’t see them getting any better ( hope I’m wrong)

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I honestly thought they’d be way better by now. First year I expected this sort of thing. Year three? Kind of inexcusable.

• dawg_fan_66dawg_fan_66 Posts: 97 ✭✭✭ Junior

They certainly make it tough to support the team with that type of effort. From what I hear, the players don't like Crean and have started tuning him out. How long can he live on the 'what he did for/with Wade and Oladipo'? Those were good players before him. As stated above, he wasted Edwards talents and i'm not sure that he got better.

Find one thing to hang your hat on: rebounding, defense, low TO, 3 point %...something. We don't do any one thing above average (actually, below average). I haven't seen much improvement.

I will continue to root for them but its getting tough.

• ChopperChopper Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Time to call Gene Hackman

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, Mr. Brooks...what say you? Is it time?

• ajf611ajf611 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

I hate to say it but he is going to have to have some turnover. These guys cannot shoot and we have no size. I just don’t see how he can turn this around this year or next. Has to be time to move on. It was embarrassing watching these last two games and unfortunately, I see more like them on the horizon. I hope I am wrong, because he seems like a good guy and he seems to care.

• mobile_dawg32mobile_dawg32 Posts: 21 ✭ Freshman

Year 3 of Crean so far:

Positives:

• Recruiting Improvement. Georgia has recruited its best since he's gotten here. He's recruited 3 out of our top 10 highest rated recruits of all-time in his short time here. Sometimes the recruits you get, take time to evolve into impact players (Camara, Brown), other times his recruits have been instant difference makers (Ant-man, Wheeler, Johnson (so far!). Either way, safe to say the fanbase hasn't been this excited about basketball recruiting in a very long time.
    • Aggressive on Transfer Portal. Crean and his staff has been very aggressive on the transfer portal. UGA is seemingly always in on big-time transfers. Usually when a top transfer is named, Georgia is always listed as having interest. Kudos to identifying the transfer portal especially as a way to increase team talent during the pandemic and not letting up. Without Horne, Kier, and Garcia, this team is just not competitive at all, and way worse on the 3-point line.
    • Record Improvement? Easy for the team to improve after being 11-21 to finishing .500 last season. However this season, the trend isn't looking well for meaningful improvement, especially when the narrative has been that Crean's got "his guys" finally.

Room for Improvement:

• Recruiting momentum. We just had the #1 draft pick/#1 national recruit, and Atlanta hometown kid from the program. We should be continuing that momentum in attracting high quality talent from the state of Georgia or even nationally. What instead we're seeing are players spurning a top 5 or top 3 finalist in Georgia. Haven't had any big recruiting wins but lots of high misses (Kuminga, Mohammed, Jabari Smith, Cleveland, McGowens, Foster (very likely).
    • Defense and Turnovers. It's remained an issue. The defense was looking better earlier this year, but has now taken a turn for the worst. Turnovers are still high. It's remained an issue.
    • Three-point shooting. Hasn't been a strong suit. Wheeler really shouldn't be our hope to knock down 3's even though he does a decent job. Camara's expanded his game but I'm not confident with him taking the 3 either. Kier and Horne are our best shooters and had we not acquired them via transfer, we would quite possibly have the absolute worst 3P% in b-ball.

Bright Spots:

• K.D Johnson! I'm willing to place a strong weight on a one-game sample and say he's an extremely welcomed and missing valuable piece to the team. Tough on D, good decision making, and has a 3ball. Will end up being a key player in the next couple of years.
    • Taking accountability as a coach. Decided not to blame the players again after Auburn and took a little bit of accountability. That's gotta be good, right?
  • AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@mobile_dawg32

The site wouldn't let me "reply" to you due to the length of your post, but I wanted to say that the positives you cite are no small thing, and I believe it would be short-sighted for us to fire Crean at this point.

He wasn't handed a solid program the way Kirby was. He inherited a desperate one. It takes time to turn the ship around. He deserves the opportunity to serve out the length of his contract, in my book. And then we'll have a MUCH better idea whether he's the right man for the job.

• 3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

is garbage ....said it day 1

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t see how anyone can judge based on this season of Covid. Nothing is right. And when is the last time Georgia was a premier destination for basketball recruits?

Crean is a good coach. Whether he can do it at Georgia remains to be seen. It is just too early to kick him out and start again. Considering the mediocre history of UGA basketball and the challenges of Covid on recruiting and on team management—Crean deserves a couple more years.

• PedroPedro Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

His wins on the recruiting trail created interest for me. The lack of follow through on the court has resulted in disinterest once again.

• dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Guys I think we all just need to calm down...

This is a total gut job and rebuild...

look back at the 2016 FB season we were a few plays away from 11-2 or 3-9...

If the fab 4 hadn't come back for 2017, what does UGA's FB trajectory look like?

Y'all need to calm down with this fire Crean stuff.

After year 5 is the soonest I'm willing to part with a coach.

Not every player you recruit is gonna work out, reestablishing a connection to ATL was the main thing I wanted to see in year 1-2, sure I'd like for us to have better success in the SEC at this point, but this team is still extremely young.

I like the bones that Crean has with this program, we just need to finish games.

If he goes .500 in the SEC in year 5, then I still don't think you fire him.

I'm looking for a coach that can get us to .500 in the SEC on bad years and top 2-3 in the SEC on good years, and maybe we have a great year where we are top dog, but I mean we can't expect that to happen over night and then fire a guy in the middle of a rebuild.

• LongGoneDawgLongGoneDawg Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior