Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Hank Aaron passes away at 86

Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dang...he was a great one.

RIP Mr. Aaron.

Comments

• Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Loved seeing Mr. Aaron play. Even if he popped up for an out, that ball looked like it was going to Mars. Rest in peace.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The back of his baseball card reads like Groundhog Day. He just was great over and over and over. He was created to hit a baseball.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2021

I'll always remember him as Henry "Hammering Hank" Aaron. May you always rest in peace sir.

PS - I was just a 10 year old kid when he hit number 715 against the Dodgers in April of 1974 at Fulton County Stadium. I remember watching it on the news on WAGA CBS Channel 5 (at that time), and then seeing it in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in my Daddy's newspaper the following day as it was a HUGE home town happy headline. I turned 11 the following month. Easily, it was "Hammering Hank" who was far and away the very BEST Atlanta Braves player on the entire team. (WOW, did anyone else notice that in 1974, the newspaper was just .10 cents?????!!!!!)

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2021

What I remember about Hank Aaron: He hit his number 44 ( in HR's) four times in his career. A very humble guy with a personality much different than the "say hey kid", Willie Mays.

Originally hit cross handed which, allegedly, contributed to his wrist strength.

From Mobile Alabama along with Willie McCovey, Ozzie Smith, Satchel Paige, and Billy Williams -- all HOF players. One of only 3 players, as I recollect it, to hit a HR into the upper deck of Fulton County Stadium by 1970 (?) and one of the other players to do so, was a HS player in a State playoff game. Wierd.

And was my childhood Sports Hero. Rest in Peace Hank Aaron.

• BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thank You Hank!

• TxDawg412TxDawg412 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭ Junior

Rest In Peace Mr. “Hammering Hank” Aaron. A true legend and home run king. 🙏

• emanresuemanresu Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I actually met him over in "Historic West End" in Atlanta. It was the Summer of 98 and I was going to a Hardware store and he was loading something in his car and I simply said "Hi Mr Aaron " and he smiled and waved and that was the end of it. Didn't want to approach him about an Autograph though out of respect.

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2021

With the passing of Mr. Aaron, I was looking back at his various accomplishments in baseball. And while he won the MVP award in 1957 including a league-best 44 hr's and 132 rbi's, it was his performance in 1959 where he had a most remarkable season.

Aaron finished 3rd in MVP voting in 1959 behind teammate Eddie Matthews (who finished second) and MVP winner Ernie Banks of the Cubs.

But the voters got it wrong that year. They were fixated on homeruns IMO. Banks hit 45 hr's and had 143 rbi's; Matthews hit 46 hr's and had 115 rbi's. Hank Aaron "only" hit 39 homeruns that year. But, he also hit 46 doubles, a .355 batting average, 400 total bases, .636 slugging, and 223 hits -- all league bests. He also had 123 rbi's.

Edit: Aaron's 46 doubles were second best in the league in 1959 -- one behind league leader Vada Pinson (?) of the Reds who had 47.

Aaron's .355 batting average was 51 points better than Ernie Banks; 49 points better than teammate Matthews that year.

Incidentally, when they show Aaron's 715th, a lighted square on the left-center field wall is shown -- on the old Fulton County stadium. Is that a marker for the spot where he hit his 500th HR?

• Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Didn’t Hank get the COVID vaccine two weeks ago?