Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Jamie Newman opens up more on decision to leave Georgia football

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2021 in Article commenting
imageJamie Newman opens up more on decision to leave Georgia football

Jamie Newman revealed that the Covid concerns that led him to opt-out at Georgia were related to having a family member being stricken with the deadly virus

Read the full story here

Comments

• WesttndawgWesttndawg Posts: 47 ✭✭ Sophomore

If your that bored and need to write something, share a recipe from Southern Living or something.

Enough of the Jamie no one cares about him Newman articles.

• SteelerDawgSteelerDawg Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

at this point, ya'll are just trolling your loyal readers with Jamie Newman articles.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I personally like the Newman articles. If you don't like them, you aren't forced to read them and you certainly don't have to take the time to comment on them. That said, I still don't buy what he's selling. Could have said that about his family back when he opted out. I still don't know what difference that would have made, though. I think the whole thing with UGA was that they were keeping the players AWAY from their families as much as possible for that very reason. Seems like Jamie would have been safer staying and playing with the team in Athens than leaving. Also, even this story alludes to the fact that at least part of the reason -- if not the main reason -- that he opted out was because he hadn't been guaranteed the starting job. The more I read and hear, the more I think his leaving was more about that than any concerns about contracting COVID. And even though Rice and others may consider him a member of the Dawg family, I again note that Newman was the ONLY MEMBER of the UGA "family" to opt out. I'm almost certain that he wasn't the only one who had a family member to contract COVID.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

["Newman shared that someone in his family dealt with COVID." ]

Wow. Someone in his family "dealt with COVID". Yeah, 25+ million Americans have been diagnosed with Covid. Chances are, almost everyone has "someone in their family" that has "dealt with COVID".

[‘The vitriol among DawgNation on Twitter has been unbelievable,” Nagy said. “What did this kid do to you guys? “]

Yeah, FU. How do you think Clemson/Ohio State fans would've felt if their star QB made the "business decision" to skip their senior year. If we had Newman at the helm and won either vs Bama or Florida, don't you think maybe that would've had just a MINOR impact on our season? I dunno, like maybe going to the SEC Championship game at the least as well as the playoffs?

You don't skip out an entire season 3 weeks before season start because someone in your family was sick for a couple of weeks. Oh and in addition to not playing for us in 2020, he is skipping the option to come back for the free year of eligibility for 2021.

Whatever. We're not friends and we are not rooting for you. Heck, at least Fields gave us a year. You just abandoned us.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope Newman has a great game, and wish him the best. But I will also be glad to never hear his name associated with UGA again.

He came to Georgia and I think he thought the job was already his. I don't think he fully realized that he would have to actually earn the job. Then he starts looking around and sees that Bennett was ahead of him with the pre snap reads as well as progressions. He watched Daniels do the same, but with an arm to match his own, but with a much higher recruiting ranking. Mathis had better run skills and as strong of an arm. He realized that he wasn't in Wake Forrest any more. The competition was different, and he wasn't sure how it would all work out.

He wisely decided to take his pre-season Heisman hype and get out before it evaporated. Better to hire a QB coach to try and catch up, with the guarantee of not losing the starting job, and his perceived ranking.

The reports out of the Senior Bowl practice seem to suggest he's still struggling with the same issues.

I just wish he hadn't wasted UGA's efforts that were invested on a QB, who they thought would challenge for the starting QB position. The program would've been better off with another QB who would've actually tried to finish the drill...

• GramsterGramster Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

It’s official... I’m opting out of everything #mikegriffithloveaffairwithjamieWHO related. It’s becoming obvious Mike is doing this jnewman garbage out of spite

• randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

QUITTER...plain and simple! Let’s move on...he’s cost us enough already, so quit bringing him up please. We have 3 incredible QBs and another on the way...start talking more about them instead!

• PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Should have declared when he graduated from Wake. No. He though his stock would go up playing against sec competition. But he didn't forsee that he might not be given the starting job. So, instead of trying to increase his stock by being 4th string qb, at UGA, he quit, in order to blur the obvious lines. Hope he has a good NFL career. Hope the best for him. But he will NEVER be a Georgia Dawg. And if the Senior bowl president doesn't like it, he can stick it!

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2021

Did you guys notice comments like, “Newman was painfully slow getting off his first reads”? There are other similar comments that reflect what happens when you skip a season. 🤔 Go Dawgs!!!

• Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

This my oath, this is the last column about Jamie Newman that I will ever click on.

We’ve been waiting for an answer on why he quit for four months, turns out someone in his family caught Covid.

Got it.

No more questions, no more attention to this guy who played as many snaps in a UGA football uniform as my granny did.

• Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

“What did this kid do to you guys?“

He took the vast majority of first-team QB reps in fall camp and then quit.

Capiche?

• BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

He abruptly quit and left us in a bad situation. No thank you. He's just trying to improve his draft status.

• atadawgatadawg Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

Normally I like Mike's articles but I just couldn't bring myself to fully read this one. Jamie Newman is old news, I don't wish him ill but I really don't care what he does - he's not a DAWG.

• HunkerDawgHunkerDawg Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't think someone who is telling the truth in a serious interview says "a family member" or "someone in my family" and "dealt with COVID." If it were real, I would think you would be more personal in your explanation to someone who is thinking about drafting you, like the specific relationship and details about the effects that it had on them, and how that affected your thinking.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby said he was under the assumption that JT would be cleared to start the season? If true, then there was a miscommunication somewhere. "Newman had not earned the right to start after 8 months", after he committed early? Yeh, I might have said forget it too. Anyone knows a 5th year transfer doesn't come to a school for his final NFL tune-up without some assurances he's the guy, no matter how much they say to the press they just want to compete. At the time he committed we were with 3 unknowns as far as QB 's with any real Big Boy school experience. Everyone was thanking God for him, then JT gets cleared to play in 2020 and I'm sure that threw a **** wrench in Kirby's and Newman's mind.

Maybe Newman really **** in practices. Although Monken is on record as saying Newman was a better passer than he had thought. Go figure. Guess it aint worth the time to try to figure out. Somehow, I don't believe KIrby is a very good communicator when it comes to handling his QB's. It will all work itself out in practice, until it doesn't. Then you look foolish starting D'Wan over Stetson, but SB comes in and rallies the troops and saves you from all that egg on your face. Saban would never make such a grievous mistake.

• SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Two things are true. One. Jamie Newman does not owe UGA fans an explanation for opting out. And Two, if you choose to offer an explanation, at least make it credible. The safest place for Jamie to avoid Covid would have been in the bubble that was UGA football. In fact the one thing about this season that does not get enough press or credit is how well the team did with its Covid protocols.

• GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

Agree with all the sentiments here. Family or not, the fact is Newman did not play and I am not sure he made anyone better this year.

Let's move on, he left, we played and the although it was not what we wanted it was not bad! We should look to the future of this team with THREE 5 stars at QB.

Mike, look up insanity and STOP, nothing changes!

• ATDATD Posts: 258 ✭✭✭ Junior

Which is less interesting, reading about Jamie Newman's or Justin Fields' UGA careers? Thanks for the daily dose of pablum.