Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Opinion: Stockton-Vandagriff is not same QB situation as Jake Fromm and Justin Fields

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2021 in Article commenting
imageOpinion: Stockton-Vandagriff is not same QB situation as Jake Fromm and Justin Fields

UGA celebrated one of its most stunning recruiting victories in years when 5-star quarterback Gunner Stockton committed to the Bulldogs on Thursday. Perhaps most surprisingly -- at least to the outside recruiting world -- was that Stockton, who is a rising high school senior, pledged to Bulldogs in the recruiting

Read the full story here

Comments

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It's great to have all these stud QB's, but only one will be on the field at one time.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, yeah, but that's the problem. Are both Vandagriff and Stockton going to hang around if they are both on "equal footing"? I assume that Beck will be transferring here pretty soon. I mean, we all respect Eason, but once Fromm got the job he was on his way to Washington. The problem is that Smart isn't a robot and knows that these are kids and you can't just swap QBs in and out and do some experimenting (although I really wish he would anyway). Backup roles mean 4th Quarter handing off to RBs to burn off clock.

I mean, I literally can't complain (because that would be ****) but it seems like we always wind up with the guy who maybe knows the playbook best but doesn't have the type of talent that a Top 4 team would have.

Everybody says that they "aren't scared of competition" but that just means that they think they will win the job and when they don't - they start looking elsewhere.

If we can keep ONE of the 2 of them that would be great. I'm worried, though, that we'll lose both.

• MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It's a huge recruiting win keeping Stockton out of Auburn. Smart and Monken have their work cut out for them!

• MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • JuniorDawgJuniorDawg Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

He was never good enough to get to a NCG? I’m pretty sure he was the QB that just got spanked by Bama in the NCG on January 11th. I could be wrong though. Your take on Vandagriff and Stockton competing is exactly the way I see it except Carson Beck is standing in their way. He’s every bit as talented as Daniels, Stockton and Vandagriff. Beck will also have the advantage of being in the system longer.

• DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Well, I think we can all agree that one of the three (Vandagriff, Beck, Stockton) will eventually transfer. My money is on Beck. Barring injury, Daniels is the man in 2021. I think Vandagriff will beat out Beck and Stockton in 2022 and Beck will then transfer. In 2023? Who knows.

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If anyone thinks that at least one of those 3 won’t transfer if they don’t win the job, then they are crazy.

• RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m a UGA fan but this thread is hilarious. All of this “ wasn’t good enough to make a NCG”. Like that is a true measure of QB talent. I don’t care for either version, neither one of them beat Bama and that is all that matters in end.

• LawDawg23LawDawg23 Posts: 14 ✭✭ Sophomore

But, it is very much the same in that one of the two will most likely transfer at some point. I like the fact that Stockton wants to compete. I highly suspect that they will both do well and that I will hate to see one go. I love the fact that UGA appears to be set with a premiere QB for the next 4 seasons or so. :-)

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

True, but having them is in all respects better than not having them.

For instance, practice. The more excellent passers we have the better our receivers can practice their essential skills.

_______

Nice to read some rational comments about what Fields actually showed us while at UGA which was mostly his potential combined with freshman unreadiness and a deer in the headlights look. He's a very talented player now, as we all know, and I like him okay, and think he'd be a good teammate, but he doesn't impress me as an all world talent just yet. We'll see how he progresses, and I wish him the very best.

Go, Dawgs!

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ok, we’ve discussed this topic, and good points have been made. I understand that football news can be hard to come by in January and February, but, please, lets not rehash Fields and/or Newman ad nauseam. We have a lot of potential for 2021, and I, for one, would prefer to not dwell on the past.

• jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 186 ✭✭✭ Junior

So we have a herd of QB's, we never no when injuries may occur and odds are some where down the road one will become disgruntled and transfer to find playing time elsewhere. For now let's just enjoy the fact that so many good young men want to come to Ga and compete against others to fill that role. Hope they all enjoy the competition and their time at Ga. Hat's off to the staff for great recruiting

• latemodelraylatemodelray Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Fromm was the coaches pet who started in front of 2 guys who had more talent than he did with the simple reason given being he had a good football mind ..... something that couldn't be measured in talent ..... Never mind the same coach says we go out every week and practice and the most talented players will start

He tried to do the same thing this season keeping Daniels on the bench ..... Drink the Kool=Aid and buy the injury that didnt heal a week earlier heading into FL off the byweek if you are inclined and blind or believe the kids dad who was screaming by week 3 his son was ready to play why is he not on the field and had been ready and cleared by Drs since preseason

• BrettGarrBrettGarr Posts: 152 ✭✭✭ Junior

While I really hope it doesn't turn out the same way, this situation is almost EXACTLY like Eason-Fromm-Fields. If, God forbid, Daniels gets hurt this coming season, and Vandagriff steps in and plays the rest of the season (and presumably well), with Stockton set to come in the following January -- how is that any different ?

• bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 275 ✭✭✭ Junior

With 2 QBs having outstanding arms, wheels, size and for at least one, experience as a receiver, I would hope UGA could incorporate both Brock and Gunner into the same backfield at times. This could create quite the dilemma for any defense.

• SAVDGDSAVDGD Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Both Fields and Fromm have 1 Natty appearance with a loss. The difference is Fromm's Natty game was closer vs. Bama. So all this talk about Fields being so much better is for naught, as he hasn't accomplished anything more than Fromm. I get the optics of his flashy talent, good speed and great arm, but he hasn't shown he can win at the highest level any better than Fromm has.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Per Sporting News article that came out recently. Fields' lawyer, Tom Mars, backed up Fields' claim in a statement issued to ESPN.

"Irrefutable documentation that has nothing to do with racism was presented to the NCAA in support of OSU’s request that Justin Fields be given a waiver," Mars told ESPN. "That information wasn’t critical of — and didn’t reflect poorly on — the UGA culture, the UGA administration or staff, any particular student, or the student body. And it certainly didn’t reflect poorly on Justin or any member of his family. However, that documentation did provide support for the issuance of a waiver under the NCAA’s rules."

In the article both Justin and Ohio St. coach Day say that Justin wasn't guaranteed a starting job. That certainly puts to bed the hypothesis that it was just "handed to him ".

Another hypothesis, politely speaking, presented as fact is that in Justin's Fr year at UGA that coach Smart "gave him the keys to the offense" and that whenever he came in he bogged the team down that had been ("clicking). Lot's of revisionist history here too. The fact is that Justin made it into 12 games that season. In those 12 games he attempted 39 passes. Let's see that would be 3.5 pass attempts per game on avg. My guess is those 39 attempts were not evenly dispersed. - OK so I just checked and 24 of his 39 attempts came in just 3 games, just as I expected. He had 5 games in which he made either 0 or 1 attempt to pass. That leaves 4 games in which he averaged 2.5 attempts to pass. I wouldn't call that being given the keys to anything in 9 of the 12 games he got into where he got to wing it around once or twice. LOL! That sounds more like a short leash, than given the keys and saying be back before midnite.

He did avg as a FR (while given limited opportunities)a higher QB rating than Jake did that year. He passed for 4 TD's and 0 interceptions and avg. 6 yards per rushing attempt totaling 266 yards. Those numbers are far from suggesting he bogged the team down when he did get an opportunity. Imagine being Justin and against the better teams you get 1 series, 2 tops to produce. "OK kid go wow them with your 1 series. LOL! Oh and while you're in there, you get 2 pass attempts., if you're lucky.

It's OK to love Jake and to not prefer Justin, I preferred Jake during the moment too. But the vitriol for Fields and the revisionist history is way over the top.

• BoydCrowderBoydCrowder Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

Off topic, but: That picture of Xavian Sorey Jr. in the right column in the Kroger 2021 Recruits window!! I think a paternity test is in order!