Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

3 reasons Dan Lanning would take Kansas job, 3 reasons he wouldn't

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited April 2021 in Article commenting
image3 reasons Dan Lanning would take Kansas job, 3 reasons he wouldn't

Georgia football has a tremendous defensive coordinator in Dan Lanning, and other programs like Kansas have noticed, showing interest in him for the head coaching job

Read the full story here

Comments

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just can't see Lanning at Kansas. I think Championships will trump going home.

I think it would be a mistake to leave for anything short of a top 20 job. And he will get that offer soon enough...

• ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Lanning will be a good HC, but is this the right time or place to start? I don't think he takes the job if offered. He can afford to wait on a better gig.

• BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

He's like number 3 or 4 on their list so don't think he is going anywhere this year.

• BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

As of 2 days ago here is HC list and Coordinator list

HC: Emmett Jones, Army’s Jeff Monken, Buffalo’s Lance Leipold, Tulane’s Willie Fritz and Eastern Michigan’s Chris Creighton

Coord: Georgia defensive coordinator Dan Lanning, Texas A&M defensive coordinator Mike Elko, Iowa State offensive coordinator Tom Manning and Illinois associate head coach Kevin Kane

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd be super surprised if Lanning leaves for Kansas. 2021 is a BIG opportunity for the Dawgs and coach Lanning to be part of making it a statement and very special season.

However, having said that Saban goes through this revolving carousel of coaches nearly every season and still manages to win Championships. Kirby will need to learn to do the same. SO, if Lanning does leave then he'd better already have a near-sure replacement in mind.

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

If offered he should take the position. It would be a huge career boost for him with little downside. This would be a better job than a group of 5, HC position. I do not think he will be offered. His resume is extremely thin. Yes, he is the DC for a very good football team but not a championship team. He has limited experience. He is not a Tucker or a Smart. The idea he is going to be offered a top 20 job is absurd.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Do not fear....they will pick Jeff Monken or Kevin Kane. Trust me Dawg fans. Go Dawgs!!!

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Or he could stay on, possibly win a title with the dawgs this year, and then get that top 20 gig. This is a bad take.

• Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

These assistants look better than they are coaching the talent that Kirby has assembled. The wake up call starts quickly when they take the field with a roster of 2 and 3 star guys. Then everyone gets to see how good of a coach they are. Most O and D schemes will work in college and the pros with talented personnel.

• GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

KU is a basketball school, always has been and always will.

Just to form a picture reference, Memorial Stadium holds 8000 LESS than Bobby Dodd!

Win at UGA, cash in on a bigger prize next year!

• okcdawgokcdawg Posts: 17 ✭ Freshman

It's hard to put into words how bad the Kansas football program has been, is, and looks to be for the foreseeable future. No facilities, no money, no fans, no donors, no tradition, no interest or support from the school admin., AD, & students. All of that goes to basketball. The Kansas football HC position is a career killer. There are many group of 5 schools that would be a step, or more, above Kansas football. At age 35, wait, have 1 more successful season as our DC, and there will be better opportunities than this available to Lanning a year from now.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You just never know what's in a coaches heart. He may want to go to KU because it is so bad a football school and if he loves that area so much he may just be zealous enough to believe it's his calling to turn it into at least something competitive and relevant. On second thought, Nah!