Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football pass catcher issues very apparent in Clemson win

SystemSystem Posts: 10,667 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football pass catcher issues very apparent in Clemson win

Georgia football had a rough day passing the ball due to some of its younger pass catchers

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

Luckily, we've got several weeks against inferior opponents to figure the offense out. BUT, having said that, in order to make it past the SEC Championship game we MUST figure it out. Simple as that. After watching Bama's offense yesterday move the ball with relative ease using a brand new QB and mostly new receivers (against obviously not the same calibre team as Clemson), I have to say we've got a LONG way to go. And I'm not counting on Pickens or Blaylock (although sounds like he may be back pretty soon). We need better play from the current WRs and other guys need to step up to fill the gaps or we're not making it to the playoffs. We also need better protection and play from the O line.

To move the ball vertically down the field we can't rely on little dinks to RBs coming out of the backfield, jet sweeps, or 5-10 yard tosses to TEs. To keep up with high scoring offenses we need 20+ yard passes, crossing routes, back shoulder throws, wheel routes, etc.

People may disagree with what I'm about to say, but I'm still not sold on Daniels. He "managed" the game (think Fromm) pretty well yesterday, but he was confused with the zone defense, threw an interception (and almost a 2nd one in the end zone), and made a few bad decisions. He showed me nothing yesterday that proved he could operate an offense at a high scoring level against better than average teams. And his mobility is still in question in my eyes.

Bottom line: the offense has got work to do to make it to the playoffs and a Natty.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Appeared to me that the refs were allowing our receivers to be manhandled and only called pass interference when it was blatantly obvious. On the other hand we had 2 touch fouls(see Nakobe Dean) called on us. I thought for the longest the refs were going to determine the outcome. Glad they didn't . At least not totally.

• Options
    BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We had OC issues, passer issues and receiver issues, maybe even HC tendency issues last night. Till proven otherwise, we still have those problems.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh yeh, and the tipped punt that wasn't. Replay showed it cleared defender's hands by at least a foot. How does that ref still have a job?

• Options
    Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

JT KIND OF LOOKED FROMMISH!! IS BECK REALLY THAT BAD THAT HE DOESNT EVEN GET A SHOT????

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Very disappointed in the ref's last night. They seem to get worse every year. Missed the "tipped" punt call, then made the make up no call on UGA hit out of bounds (Dean) then made another "make up call" (as said by Herbstreet DURING the telecast) against Ameer Speed for interference (horrible call). Referee's must do a better job or every close game will be decided by the refs. Too many penalties on UGA. UGA DB's are close to the WR's. TEACH them how to play the man's eyes and hands if they can't see the ball. Can't have those bad pass interference calls. Clemson had something like 55 3rd and 4th year players. UGA playing a lot of younger guys that should get better during the season.

• Options
    BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Saban figured it out and he didn't forget the lessons. He is now in his 3rd OC and 3rd QB without issues. Just last week Kirby said he wants to score as many points as possible. Have all of the lessons learned over the past 2 seasons forgotten just because we won a single odd game ?

I just hope Kirby isn't as short sighted as some fans seem to be today.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pit JTD against Miami and you would see a Bryce Young result. No comparison in opponents. Clemson would also bury Miami. JTD was looking at one of the best defenses in the country ....next to UGA of course. A "soft zone" is tough to crack. JTD had to quick deliver nearly every throw. UGA's OL had to scramble to save him time and again. Bryce Young of Bama had it relatively easy. That said, I do recall the Georgia Day game when I looked hopefully at JTD to come out with missiles.....instead he looked sluggish and gave up the ball in four downs. I said to myself...."uh oh"...but he slowly recovered and had a decent outing. Was it a latent knee problem? Who knows. He was not the same JTD who caused such a stir in the SEC last season. He did show some of this lackluster yesterday....but I am attributing it to facing a defense like none other in the ACC. JTD needs a full season of stats to decipher. I do agree with MontanaDawg, (generally do) that JTD and the UGA offense need some serious work to earn a shot at a natty.

• Options
    edited September 2021

Obviously the level of opponent that Bama and the Dawgs faced was different yesterday. I don't agree with you that if JTD played Miami with our receivers yesterday that you would see a 'Bryce Young result'. Not at all. I definitely think we would have produced better offensive results but not as much from the VERTICAL passing game as from the running and short pass game. JT hasn't proven himself to me as an elite QB. Bryce Young and JT are different. Some QBs have natural, God-given abilities to add to their learned knowledge & expertise. To me, JT is a smart guy that over-analyzes the defense and misses things. Sure, he's a good QB, but I don't yet see him as elite. He reminds me of a Fromm with maybe a bit better passing ability. To me, Bryce has all the makings, mobility, and intuition of an elite QB. Maybe time will prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

And if JT racks up the vertical pass yards against lowly UAB, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt, it won't necessarily change my opinion of his abilities. However, if he fails miserably or just shows pretty good results then I will solidify my opinion. We should BLOW OUT these next several opponents with the passing attack (even without other receivers) like Bama does when they play teams like these coming up....if not, something is definitely askew in our offense.

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree. My question is, do we not make offensive halftime adjustments? The o-line played just well enough to win, which is NOT good enough. With dropping 8 into a "soft zone" with rushing 3, UGA should of been able to just crush them running the ball.

Alabama and UGA definitely played different quality of opponents. But my question is, are people going to think this Clemson defense was just that good, even if they have 6-7 opponents on their "weak" ACC schedule score 17 or more? Or is a bad UGA offense problem? I said it on another story, scoring 50 points against Vanderbilt, UT, or UAB means nothing. They need to do it to Auburn, Florida (highly unlikely) and UK, against those teams you should win by 20+, not 10 or less. That is when the offense has changed.

GO DAWGS!!!!

• Options
    Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Going into the game I was worried that the receiver's were more banged up - limited than what was being reported, and if that was the case the Dawg's would likely have little to no chance of winning the game.

Brock Bowers, Ladd McConkey both true-freshman and Jaylen Johnson, a former walk-on were the best options on the night. My fears of the injuries being under reported came true, but the Dawg's still put enough together to win.

The defense was awesome. Nakobe Dean (left off of most All SEC rankings) doesn't get enough credit. No LB in the SEC is better than Dean.

The Offense still has a long way to go, but Ga just beat Dabo's Tiger's with a MASH unit of receiver's, with a couple of true freshman thrown in.

The schedule set's up to allow time for the more experienced receiver's to heal up. I look for better days to come for this offense.

• Options
    edited September 2021

Clemson's defense should have been "that good", and I do think they proved their worth whether or not they play in the weak ACC. They stopped us pretty well for much of the night. Our offense had the weapons to score points even without Blaylock or Pickens. We couldn't get it done. Not even close. Even with halftime adjustments, if you don't have an O line that can protect the QB for any length of time consistently or open up the run game for a big gain, then a non-mobile QB like Daniels has only got a few quick options that he can go to before the pressure gets to him. Most of the pass plays - it appears - were geared towards releasing the ball quickly. JT rarely took shots down the field.

What halftime adjustments would you have made on the offense for a better outcome?

With JT being confused sometimes with the zone coverage, it's probably a good thing that he didn't start trying to pass 20+ yards. He threw one interception and almost another one in the end zone towards the end of the game. And if you don't have receivers that can get open down the field or a QB that can complete tough passes then you've got a problem.

Clemson has got more questions than answers for its offense, and we aren't too far behind them. I do think that scoring big against folks like UAB, SC, Vandy, and Arkansas sets us up nicely for the likes of potentially tougher Auburn and Florida. Consider these early games coming up as "scrimmages" where we need to refine our pass routes, timing, etc. and figure out the O line. If JT is the chosen one, then he needs to prove he can get it done against inferior opponents and otherwise.

• Options

I don't think you understood what I said, either just not understanding it or by me not typing the right question. I am more thinking it my be the latter. The oline didn't give JTD much time, but didn't run well enough with 8 people dropping in coverage. 20 yard passes were going to be hard to do with the quick pressure clemson brought. I understand that.

I don't have any ideas about what adjustments to make, I'm not being paid to do that. But with all the talk about defensive adjustments that CKS makes, the offense did the same thing in the 2nd half as the first. That is why I asked if they don't do offensive halftime adjustments.

I also completely agreed with you about Clemson's defense, they are real good. At least in this game they looked like it. The reason I say that is because everyone on this site believes Clemson plays in a weak conference. But if that"weak" schedule produces 6-8 teams that put up 17 points or more against them by that teams offense, what is more realistic, a bad UGA offense or a great clemson defense? I understand the additional time for preparations helps with getting a defense ready, UGA had that also.

You even said it yourself, you are not going to be impressed against our weaker teams, or it will confirm your suspicions. And that was my point. If clemson can hold our offense to 3 points (should of been 6),but give up 17-24 points against teams like pitt, wake, NC state. It shows that it was our offense more so then their defense. And that the offense HAS TO DO BETTER. Period.

But I hope that these next few weeks give them time to get healthy and in sync more. Personally, I'm not even a fan of 50 yard td passes, it's nice to see and fun to watch, but really my offensive goal would be, unrealistically I'm sure, is to score slowing and on every possession. Every play is 5-8 yards, with an occasional 20-25 yard play to loosen the defense. But methodically just drive the ball. I know it's not popular, but just think, if they scored on every possession and ate up 5-7 minutes on every drive, that defense would be even better. They would be rested more. Even though the defense was still attacking in the 4th, the last 2 drives of clemson's accounted for 1/4 of their yards. UGA was starting to lose a step. The longer the offense can't help the defense, begins to hurt the defense.

Sorry for the Dawgnation version of War and Peace. Good day.

GO DAWGS!!!!

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The first (live) time I saw JT throw that incomplete pass in the end zone into heavy coverage, I hollered OMG WTH. But when I watched it again in slow-mo a few times, I pondered something else... when I saw Brock Bowers high-point and darn near catch it above that crowd , I harkened back to JT saying previously he wanted to give his stud receivers a chance on throws... and he knows full-well what Brock's capable of, seeing him make ridiculous catches like that in practice. Hmmmm. Jury's out, but not giving up on our QB doing some really impressive things in the passing game this year. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Arik Gilbert was not with the team either after taking a leave from the team for personal reasons."

Look, I mean, I get it. I had severe depression during a period of my college days in Athens. BUT, you can't just leave it as "personal reasons". I'm sorry, but you can't... not when we need you quite badly. The problem is not really his particular situation, but the fact that if "personal reasons" can be used, ANY player can use that ANY time.

The questions are not going to stop coming: is this a day to day thing? Could he play in a week? Is he going to be in the Portal again? Is he negotiating with a NIL deal? Is he in therapy? Is it a family issue?

I get it, it's none of my damm business, but come on. As far as I'm concerned, it's no different from Jamie Newman. I'm sure he would've claimed "personal issues" if COVID wasn't available as a choice. If you aren't going to play this year, then say so.

• Options
    edited September 2021

I don't think he is going to play for UGA. I may be wrong, but I think it's an academic issue. Hopefully he gets it figured out and enjoys the ride of what could be a special season, but if he is a distraction, no thank you.

But I will say, it is funny how all of the writers keep saying we are missing him. If we never had him, how are we missing him?🤔

GO DAWGS!!!!

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2021

I've been paying attention alright but surely you can come up with a better answer than that. I was just looking for that legendary armchair coaching perspective.