Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia QB Stetson Bennett expected to start against UAB barring late lineup change

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia QB Stetson Bennett expected to start against UAB barring late lineup change

ATHENS — Georgia is expected to start fifth-year senior quarterback Stetson Bennett against UAB barring a late change of plans, according to sources close to the situation.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

After being named the 2nd string QB if Beck doesn't start or at least play half of the game I think he hits the transfer portal. And I couldn't blame him one bit.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When it comes right down to brass tacks, you want the experienced over the inexperienced.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What? This better not be true. If Bennett starts over a healthy #2 Beck (as named so by Kirby) then it is a mistake for the program. When Beck leaves in the transfer portal, and JT and Bennett both exit, then the QB room will have two young, inexperienced QB's to fill the void. We need some separation of QB's in terms of experience. Kirby needs to find a way to keep Beck and the best way to do that is invest in him with a start in a game like this one.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Every body looks good in practice. Remember D'Wan?

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This made my heart sink. We know what we have in Bennett. It's ok in a pinch, but not the move you'd want to lead with. I really hope the idea is to put him out there for a series or two just to establish a rhythm, then let Beck and Vandagriff get out there. At face value, this is pretty disappointing news.

• robertasmithrobertasmith Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

Personally, I think this is ridiculous. You name Beck, who's talented in his own right, as your #2 and then you start Bennett? Is CKS that afraid Beck might make a mistake? It's the team from Birmingham, not Tuscaloosa. How embarrassing is this for Beck? How is he supposed to get any experience besides handing off in the fourth quarter? I agree with the earlier post. If this happens and I'm Beck, I'm hitting the transfer portal before the day is over. There are a lot of teams that would take him in a heartbeat.

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

others here can knock ya all they want Mike. But if Stetson starts you get a tip of the hat from me for timely/accurate/insightful reporting.

• FldawgFldawg Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

why recruit these great Qb’s, develop them, and then go backwards? If we don’t give these better guys the chance they will leave and we we will NEVER win a natty. Stetson is a great guy but is just not a top qb! Give Carson the chance he’s earned (as our #2 starter!)…this is very disappointing. It’s like KS has learned nothing and I defend him constantly but I cannot defend this decision. And why is Todd not telling him Stetson no longer fits our offense no matter HOW MUCH HE KNOWS abt the playbook? Good grief.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

This is good.

Edit: the only reason some of y'all are upset at this has nothing to do with Stetson and his skills. But everything to do with our backup QBs maybe not being the all world we envisioned in our minds.

If Beck was that good, last year was his chance. I'd honestly stop fretting over him. The one to watch is Vandergriff. If for some reason Stetson does struggle (not likely), I bet we see Vandergriff come in for some mop up duty.

• VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 336 ✭✭✭ Junior

seems Kirby has made another not so Smart decision in regards to QBs. If Beck has been the #2 QB and the starter is out, then it should be next man up not let's skip the next man and go with either the next, next man or the last man in Bennett.

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I’ve always defended him too; but maybe Kirby does rule as a bit of a tyrant and doesn’t allow these decisions to be made by position coaches/coordinators.

• FldawgFldawg Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

Agreed but assuming this particular hire was to help uga ‘air it out’ and put up more offensive points points, and being that KS is a brilliant defensive mind it’s simply my wish he’d give these better qb’s a chance in games like this to get their feet wet and experience the speed of the game before we are in a HAVE TO position. I just think Stetson had his chance to shine and unlike others I do appreciate the fact he stuck it out and was there for his team BUT Carson has been named number 2 and if we are going next man up, we’ll, he’s next man up. This is disheartening to say the least.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This must be some insider tip, Mike. CKS did amplify Beck as the #2 QB a couple days ago. And said Stetson doesn't need to rep much...he has enough in the bank. Now he trots out Bennett...again! Really? I am going to wait for the official game roster. The speculation is getting pretty heady.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

WOW. I'm not a coach, but if I was Beck I would be upset, miffed, and shaking my head. I don't understand this call whether or not Bennett comes out and does well. This could mess with Beck's confidence as well.

Totally disagree with this decision. Just hoping Beck gets most of the playing time after Bennett gets the ball rolling.

Beck or Vandagriff is the future - NOT Stetson.

If I was Smart after naming Beck the #2 QB, the ONLY way I would play Bennett is if Beck started the game and seriously struggled against a good UAB defense. Other than that, Stetson stays on the bench.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

Same here. I've defended him against those who like to nit pick his in-game decisions (more often than not in games that were won), I've defended (and still will) his handling of the Fromm/Fields situation. But if Beck doesn't get significant playing time in this game, it's going to be tough to defend. UAB is a decent opponent, yes, but one that the defense, run game and special teams ought to be able to handle. I don't see how it's a game to just skip over the guy who's been named the #2 QB. I don't know, maybe Smart sees something that we'll all find out as the game plays out. I sure hope there's some reasonable explanation for this, but at the moment I'm not seeing one.

• MacroDawgMacroDawg Posts: 50 ✭✭ Sophomore

Ga back to its dna with qb issues. Smh

• T_DawgT_Dawg Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

It’s always the safe move for smart isn’t? Like why throw the ball if we can pound it up the middle all game against a lesser opponent.never mind trying to develop the team for opponents like bama at the end of the year. I hope this article is not true

• guitardawgguitardawg Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

Agreed. This is just a click-bait space filler. He doesn't have a clue. Only Kirby knows who will start. My money is on JTD with Beck in relief.