Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Let’s give proper credit for a really Smart coaching decision

SystemSystem Posts: 11,029 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageLet’s give proper credit for a really Smart coaching decision

OK, so who had Stetson Bennett throwing 5 first-half touchdown passes in the pregame betting pool?

Read the full story here

Comments

• jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 213 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good report. Hope we improve on the FG portion of game. That may be greatly needed as we face a little stiffer competition

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

I was pretty adamant in expressing my opposition to this decision before the game, so I feel I should reiterate the mea culpa. Starting Bennett was the right move here.

I'm still not convinced that he would ever be the guy to lead this team to a championship. I don't buy the argument pointing to last year's Alabama and Florida games one bit. In fact, I would point to those games as reasons to be skeptical until we see more than his doing it against the likes of UAB - a competent but clearly inferior opponent. And hearing that he would start kind of brought flashbacks to a season of wondering if we'll ever find a championship quarterback in this overtly offensively oriented era of the sport. But hopefully, we'll never need Bennett to be that guy. For this week, it was indeed a good decision to give him the start. It got the team off to a strong start, established some rhythm and confidence for an offense that is still young and finding its way, and solidified the team's position in the polls.

There's still almost a whole season's worth of opportunities to develop Beck and/or Vandagriff. And of course I do still hope that that will be prioritized in such situations going forward. But for today, let's just enjoy the dominant win!

Go Dawgs!

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Also, thanks for the explanation as to why my recording (i don't suffer commercials in games that I care about) started two touchdowns in. So aggravating.

• DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yesterday was amazing, but I remember what Mel Tucker, Lorenzo Carter, and Davin Bellamy said after the Rose Bowl victory over Oklahoma and Heisman winner Baker Mayfield. Stetson was QB for the UGA scout team, and his job was to mimic Mayfield in practice. To cut this short, post-game, Mel Tucker said, "Stetson is a beast!" Carter and Bellamy were sitting side-by-side at their lockers, and said, "Chasing Mayfield around was a breeze compared to Stetson Bennentt. Stetson is better than Baker."

• bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 292 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Thanks, Bill, for laying out the travesty provided by ESPN in our inability to watch the start of the game. What dunderheads could have possibly made that decision to treat our game with such disrespect?!

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

@E_Roc...I do wholeheartedly agree with you about your comments concerning Bennett. And it's hard not to say that Bennett was probably the right choice yesterday given the outcome. However, as I said on another post today, I wonder how Carson would have played if he had been given the start instead? We'll obviously never know, but it's gotta be tough mentally and confidence-wise on a young inexperienced QB like Beck to have to come in after seeing Bennett start and lead the team to 3 quick TDs.

And as you said, let's do hope the development and growth of both Beck and Vandagriff gets the priority needed...since they are our future.

• osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 396 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Nice call re: ESPN. I gave up my ticket for the game so my youngest son could go with my wife (she’s going to end up missing several because of work this year, so didn’t need to miss this one, too), so didn’t want to miss a minute of actual coverage. Man, I was miffed to find out, once they actually got the feed going, that we’d already scored.

• David1David1 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Espn is a joke.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And once ESPN did cut to our game, we had to endure three plus quarters of RGIII as a color analyst. Even his momma had to be embarrassed! He was so ill prepared to do the job and his lack of preparation in regards to the teams he was covering was evident every time he opened his mouth.

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I wish I could demand a refund from DirecTV and the fiasco that ESPN pulled yesterday. I set up my equipment to record the UGA versus UAB game yesterday, since we would be away from home during the telecast of the game. The network promised the game would be showed starting at 3:30 P. M. When we arrived back home at 9:45 P. M. My recorder was showing the last 71/2 minutes of TENN. versus PITT, and not the start of the UGA game. I missed the recording of the first two scoring bombs from Bennett. ESPN. Their motto should be Especially Sorry Poor Network.

• JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

The ESPN issue was caused by them carrying the US Open at 4pm, which always screws up football schedules on TV. They should have put our game on ESPNNews. A lot of these issues are also caused by TV making college games almost 4 hours long. About the only thing I prefer about the NFL is shorter games and halftimes.

• JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sorry, wrong answer. So a kid can’t mentally handle coming off the bench with a multiple touch down lead against an inferior opponent? What in the world makes you think he’d perform better by starting? He wanted to transfer last year because he was pouting over not getting start over Bennett, but performed too poorly in the classroom to go anywhere. I’m all for seeing what Brock can do, but Beck can take his attitude (jogging on the pick 6) elsewhere.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Then why would Smart name him the #2 QB? Huh? If he is SOOO bad and undisciplined in your eyes then why was Smart adamant that he was #2?

I doubt it's because Carson was pouting on the sidelines...good grief dude.

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

@MobileDawg you are at times just too sad. This seems to be one of those times. You really are hung up about Beck being named QB2 and then Bennett starts. It seems to be all about beck’s ego and confidence at the same time totally discounting the confidence of the rest of the team. Beck will either develop and play or he will transfer.

If one believes Kirby he stated on Thursday he met with the quarterbacks and told them about the decision and the split would be 2-1, 2-1. It is very common almost to the point of being standard procedure that when a first time playing quarterback enters the game he first several plays are going to be handoffs to the running backs. Beck’s first series was cut short because the team failed to make a first down.

As for what Beck could have done as a starter, based on what he did when he played with the first unit, we should all be thankful that answer will be for future speculation.

The UGA fans should be thankful they have someone like Bennett on the team. He is probably the best backup quarterback in the conference. It is something other teams do not have and are trying to develop. The truth of the matter is he would be a starter on more than a few teams.

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

@E_Roc care to name a UGA quarterback that would convince you that he could lead the team to a championship.