Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

NFL National Anthem...why is it so hard to do correctly?

pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is not a political rant or complaint about kneeling.

I was at a sports bar for lunch today and they had a bunch of games on. They all did their National Anthem at the same time so I got to see it happening on different TVs. Anyway, why is it so hard for NFL players to just stand still, face the flag and put their hand on their heart?

Your hand doesn't go over your stomach, you dont grab the neck of your shoulder pads, you don't link arms with teammates. Right hand over your heart. Simple.

Face the flag, period. If there isn't a flag present, you face the music. Don't stare at your toes, or look for hot chicks in the stands. Again, pretty simple.

Don't shuffle around. Stand still.

It's like most of these guys have never been taught what to do. It was the freaking 911 remembrance and most of the players acted like it was a nuisance to stand respectfully for the anthem.

Rant over.

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Has anyone taught them how to do it?

not even sure why the players are out there during it. Even less sure why we have to play it before all these sporting events.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Also, if you are wearing a hat, you still put your hand over your heart....not your hat. Two option here:

1) remove your hat, put it in your left hand, then place your right hand over your heart...

2) keep your hat in your right hand but still place your hand over your heart (this will place your hat at your shoulder). You do not lazily place your hat over your heart.

I always go with option 1.

To me, if you are going to do it...do it right.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don't do the national anthem then. Not everyone is going to act exactly the way you want, so might as well not have it to spare people's feelings. It's also weird to sing it at non-state events anyways.

I went to elementary school here and don’t remember any of that. I remember standing up for the pledge of allegiance every morning (also strange). I get the doing it wrong being a pet peeve, but no one is teaching this stuff. I also imagine these players are ready to play and not sit thru something else.

I don’t have any problems with the national anthem per se, just mentioning how it’s weird we play it before sporting events played by paid athletes.

• how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Been "weird" for a long time then, and there has always been folks who didn't act "right". The vast majority enjoy it so why impact them for a minority part of the group?

See this is something I never knew. I’ve always put the hat on my heart. Thanks.

Maybe a little grace for the players. They might not know what to do either.

edited September 2021

I don't care that it's played, but I do think it's odd since it's not an official government event where national anthems are typically performed. What I do care about is trying to force everyone to perform a ritual the exact way you want them to. Runs counter to American values of freedom.

Edit: Not sure why the 2nd part about helping our troops and veterans was edited out but we should be doing much more to help them.

• BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

Harmonically our anthem is not a good song. I admit I think The Russian anthem is the best in the world because 100 or 100K untalented bozos can sing along and evoke tremendous passion. Maybe my contribution to this board is as a poster suggested a willingness to add something unpopular to the conversation in the way of honest opinion. Hopefully delivered with a touch of insight, even when I know it won't be popular.

I don’t think anyone’s debating that. I just don’t know why we play the national anthem before sports games. Not trying to make a commie statement or anything.

As if anybody would disagree with you. That doesn't make our Anthem a great song, but of course it has great symbolism bestowed on it.

Even if they do it in other countries it’s still weird to play a national anthem before a non national team game.

• armeckarmeck Posts: 107 ✭✭✭ Junior

I've never understood the need to play it in events that aren't international play. Also, the freedom that it stands for is also the freedom to not have to act the way some of you are saying. Mind your business and your values and leave others to theirs.

I stand, remove my hat, put my hand over my heart and face the flag. If someone else doesn't want to that is their business alone.

War is hell, and we should do everything to try and avoid it and help those that have suffered from it. I understand the symbolic power around the national anthem, but more often than not the conversation around helping vets and soldiers begins and ends with doing the anthem the "right way" at sporting events. We should be doing more.

edited September 2021

I think we do a good job with wounded soldiers in the short term. We tend to lose interest over time though. The soldier who had both hands blown off in WWII and starred in the great film The Best Years Of Our Lives ended up selling his Oscar because he needed money. I think as a nation we're doing a lot now, but we need to be just as deligent when these men are in their 40s and older. They tend to almost disappear. We need a comprehensive list and we need people dedicated to contacting them on a regular basis. It's shameful when somebody damaged while fighting for this country ends up discarded and homeless. As far as ''the correct way'' to act when The Anthem is played, it's not something that concerns me.