Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart explains his rationale behind playing Stetson Bennett and JT Daniels

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart explains his rationale behind playing Stetson Bennett and JT Daniels

Kirby Smart made some interesting decisions regarding Georgia's quarterback play on Saturday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2021

Despite the win, that decision killed all momentum and changed the narrative in the game. This is one of the reasons that CKS gets called out for game management. Saban would never have made that change.

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

@bull68dawg being a good college quarterback has nothing to do with being a nfl quarterback. Case in point would be Jay Cocker who lead Bama to a NC, was not drafted, hurt his knee and moved on with his life. Stafford was a great college quarterback but lead UGA to nothing.

Kirby is trying to win a national championship this year. Should Daniels go down his best option is Bennett. He needs to have Bennett ready.

If you watched other teams, you would see a lot of them have quarterbacks that are not as good as Bennett. I would say Auburn was one of those. Had they had better quarterback play they would have beaten PSU which would have been nice for the SEC

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 380 ✭✭✭ Junior

Someone needs to tell Kirby our backup QB isn’t Justin Fields anymore and he maybe should have tried doing that when he was here so we could have maybe had a chance to keep him, lol

• Options
    robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

Rather than killing momentum, it improved it. Yes, Bennett made a bad pass and put our D in a hole. But the D said “I don’t care what you think,” and came up with the big stand. My curiosity goes to playing Bennett rather than Beck in garbage time. That’s the opportunity to get the young guy some stress free work for the future.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What does Stetson have on Kirby?

• Options
    Jbayne1Jbayne1 Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore

My personal unfounded non-expert opinion is that Kirby still feels a little shaky about JTs health. It was 14-3 and clear SC had no chance. Seemed like he was planning on starting to rotate backups in early and didnt want to risk JT get hit again. If stet doesn't throw a pic, we probably see him beck and maybe Brock play the rest of the game.

• Options
    bull68dawgbull68dawg Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I disagree with almost everything you said. But you know what they say about opinions everyone has one

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Vandagriff has the look of a gunslinger. Smart and Monken's QB management job only get tougher next year with Beck, Vandagriff and Stockton coming in.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

Correct, and I think Stetson Bennett has another year. He redshirted in 2017, played in 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021, but 2020 didn’t count toward his eligibility because of the NCAA Covid rule. Actually, JT could also return, but he will likely go to the NFL. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    MickeyRichMickeyRich Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2021

It is a bad decision to play Stetson. When the game was well in hand, those live reps should have gone to Carson and/or Brock.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If this season comes down to Beck, I don’t care how many reps Kirby gives him, we stand about as much chance of winning a natty as we did with Mathis last year. If he gets his ego bruised, he will transfer to the likes of Chattanooga or Jacksonville State.

• Options
    G2ADG2AD Posts: 28 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited September 2021

Kirby gets a lot of heat because he treats the qb position like any other position. He has even said as much, rewarding effort and efficiency in practice with playing time. Most people including, I imagine, most coaches, see the qb position as a special case that must be handled differently than other position battles. Most evaluate qbs in camp, decide who is the most talents, and that’s their guy for the season. For Kirby, assessment never ends. Every practice is a new assessment of the qb’s abilities, just the d-line or dbs, is assessed every practice. Long term success may buy a player some leeway, but for the most part Kirby is a “day-to-day” kind of guy.

disclaimer: This is just an observation. Not an argument for or against Kirby’s view.

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2021

@bull68dawg my all means disagree. I am not sure with exactly what you disagree with as I believe my comments were fact based and not driven by emotion. You could take issue with Cocker and Stafford but Cocker lead his team to a NC. Stafford did not. You might disagree about Kirby trying to win a national championship this year but I believe he is. Equally you could disagree about trying to get Bennett ready and that Bennett is a better quarterback than a lot of the current staters in the SEC. I included Nix in that group. You could disagree with that too. Just look at his record against ranked teams away from home. Look at his stats against PSU.

As you pointed out everyone has an opinion.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Nah. If JT goes out for whatever reason later in the season, I’d much rather have Bennett leading us against FL.

Yes, we need o get the other two ready for next year, but we’ve got to do well in THIS year first.

• Options
    bull68dawgbull68dawg Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I disagree with your comparison of Stetson Bennett to Cocker as one was a 5 star QBs sitting on the bench behind a heisman trophy winner that chose to transfer to Alabama but the two are not the same. Yes Cocker didn’t go to the NFL but he was better than Bennett. You said Bennett is better than most QBs starting right now which I kinda agree with but how many of those team are competing for a NC (top 4)? I’ll wait … none. As far as Kirby wanting to win a NC.. when is he not? If JT goes down I’m sure Bennett will be ready but when your starting QB March down the field the first two drives with ease, you don’t pull him to give the backup reps. So disagree with you there. Also Stafford is a college football HoF and will be in the NFL HoF and he never had a team like this around him in either league.

• Options
    MickeyRichMickeyRich Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

You are short sighted. If JT goes down Stetson can’t win the SEC or NT games. What more do you need to see, he’s come up short against Bama & FL.

Now in the last two game we have had huge leads. This is the perfect time to let Carson and Brock get live game reps. CKS has said many times that he knows what he has in Stetson.

I’m not opposed to getting Stetson a series here and there. Look I’m sure that we will blowout Vandy by the 3rd quarter and the “in game”/“live” reps would be invaluable experience for Carson and Brock. That’s QB development. Otherwise come next year we are fielding QBs with little or no real “in game” experience.

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

We may be witnessing an early decision by Kirby and Monken on the QB hierarchy that says Beck is being passed by Brock Vandegriff already, in practice. Just a theory.

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Stetson Bennentt led UGA to a halftime lead over Bama. Saban’s adjustments never got matched by Kirby, and Bama rolled, to 15-0, and the CFP Championship. Bennentt led us to a 14-0 lead in Jax before going out with a sprained shoulder. UGA lost both of those games from Kirby’s lack of adjustments on both sides of the ball.

Stetson will do just fine if called upon. I, for one hope JT stays healthy, and brings home the one trophy that’s been missing for too long.