Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Live Blog: Kirby Smart, Sam Pittman update quarterbacks’ status

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It's not enough, because if the roles were reversed they would put 60 on us and punch their ticket.

• Options

How many games have we ever lost when you saw a team pulled back on us...... Florida was still throwing the ball in the 4th quarter last year remember that trying to run it up.

But the defense is spectacular they're deep and they're always attacking.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The same folks that complain all week about Stetson not being able to throw the ball out of his shadow are PO’d that Kirby isn’t letting him throw the ball all over the lot.

When the defense is playing a 3-2-6 to stop the pass, you run the ball. Ole Miss runs the same D as Arky. My bet is Bama runs the ball. It’s called taking what the defense gives you.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2021

Why? Seriously, we’re having a day where our O-line is finally making space for our runners. Just as important that they let those boys do their work.

• Options

I don't think that's it at all if we wanted to we can score on Arkansas right now but we've gone to just run the ball because we don't want to run it up on Sam Pittman. That defense Arkansas is running is made to stop the deep ball and also to keep eyes on the backfield. We have the tight ends to exploit that but we're not we're just going to run the clock. This game plan is to give the offensive line confidence that's all it is we're just going to pound them into submission. And if we're going to do that we might as well bring in the backups and let them get some time because as long as the defense on the field the game is over. The strength of this team is that defense.

• Options

I'm glad the backs are getting some action they need some confidence and the line.

• Options

I’m loving this game! The wins Arky has makes them a legit top ten team and we are dominating in all aspects and with a second string QB…a QB that according to many “experts” who frequent DN shouldn’t even be on the roster or at least fourth string.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t see how we could ask for much more from our beloved Dawgs in this game we’ve seen today !! They look like True Championship Contenders !! Go Dawgs !!!

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Has anyone ever thought,

maybe Kirby doesn’t want to reach any further in the playbook and show competition anything else?

sometimes we have coach against our tendencies. Also, I love seeing the line hangs and the backs get some action.

go dawgs!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

37-0 Final Goooooo Dawgs !!!

• Options

“It’s GREAT to be a GEORGIA BULLDAWG!”

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Of course they hadn't, they don't teach that kind of thinking at the Arm Chair Coaching clinic.

Here's is my unprofessional opinion. Defense was totally in control and once the Dawgs jumped out on them like they did, Monken and Kirby decided it was a good time to work on run blocking, run production confidence, limit some of the opportunity for turnovers (which can get a deflated team back in the game quick) and shorten the game through the run. Besides, running the ball with success when they know you are going to run it is gratifying to the offense and a confidence builder. Stetson did a fine job and for the most part, exactly what was asked. Stetson deserves credit. He led his team to a convincing win over the #8 in the country. I know flashy offenses are great ticket sellers and fun to watch. However, Stetson is our back up QB and I know some of us was very concerned when we realized JT wasn't going to play. If you were told prior to the game that we would win by 37 with SBlll running the show, you would have been very happy with it. So why get on here and down Kirby, discredit Stetson (That was a statement, not a question)/. A lot was accomplished today, our running game took 3 strides forward today, our O-line got better at run blocking today, our defense pitched another shut out and our Dawgs remained undefeated in convincing fashion. It's great to be a Dawg!

• Options
    BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby said 2 things after the game today that are just absurd. First he said playing to the defense is called ''scheme''..BS, the offense of your choice is your offensive scheme and your offensive identity. Second he said every team he's been around just plays the offense best suited to their opponent..more nonsense. Great teams run their offense every week. Bama hasn't had a game where they threw for under 200 yards in probably 4 years. They were up 28 zip at the half today, they threw deep on their first play of the second half. Great offenses dictate to defenses.

• Options
    BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If the season's goal ended today I would agree with you. Fact is we're 5 games into the season and we still haven't established who we are on offense.

Act shocked when we're exposed in Atlanta.

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I absolutely agree. Bama did run the ball against that 3-2-6 defense. But, when OM started to put more in the box, Bama threw for 240 yards. My problem is that when Arkansas put 7/8 men in the box, UGA just kept running it, and with not much success at those times. So I completely agree about taking what the defense gives you, then why not change when they change? I know that when Arkansas finally changed, the game was not in doubt, but it would just be nice to see CKS have a killer instinct for once. Just to see what UGA can do.

GO DAWGS!!!!!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

I guess 62-0 and 56-0 (the one play notwithstanding) aren't killer enough for you?

37-0 over the #8 team in the country, with a backup QB? Not good enough?

If they had gone about slinging it all over the Arkansas defense, there would undoubtedly be people on this site complaining about it. Saying, why are we giving the backup quarterback all these reps when we need to work on the running game?

• Options

Like usual, most just don't understand what I meant. Instead of thinking I was saying it wasn't good enough,try and read more into it. My response to ShoottheHooch was trying g to show that Bama played against the same defensive philosophy in OM. And when OM started to move more people in the box (which they did), Bama started to throw, to the tune of 240 yards. When Arkansas started to put more guys in the box, CKS just stuck with running. And like I said before, I understood why they did and that it was needed. There was no doubt in the outcome of the game. But if the offense has 3 wr's and 1 te and 1 back, with 8 men in the box, why not take a shot in the passing game. I understand the Mailmans limits, but he isn't worthless. He has some skills and had already thrown his 1 bad pass. Dropped thankfully. But my whole comment was about why Kirby won't allow more points. Remember, UGA did basically nothing for almost 2 qtrs, offensively. Let me help by clarifying that. SMH. Please, don't put 62 and 56 point games in a killer mentality. It was Vandy and UAB. Vandy may be one of the worst teams in the history of the SEC. Just playing offense against those 2 teams should produce several points. BTW, I never said to throw the ball all over the field. Just don't be SO PREDICTABLE. I didn't want a 60 point blowout on the Pit Boss, just a couple of more plays to get a couple more first downs. So hopefully this is a better explanationof what I meant.

GO DAWGS!!!!!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

We've won our last 4 games by a combined 195-20. 7 of those 20 points came when we were passing the ball while up 56-0. It's just silly to suggest, as you did, that at no point this season has any "killer instinct" been displayed. And why shouldn't the Vanderbilt game count? They've had a lot of bad teams over the years; when was the last time someone beat them by 62?

No matter how this team goes about dominating an opponent, it will never not be possible to say there was a different way they could have done it. But these Dawgs are thoroughly steam rolling their opposition on a routine basis - all while dealing with a seemingly unending parade of injuries, no less. As long as that's the case, I really couldn't care less how they get it done.

• Options

Let's just say we agree to disagree on how a team should control a game. As of right now, they teams UGA has played, outside of Clemson, has been totally overmatched. But when the teams get better, and if UGA starts holding onto win by 3-10 points and the stress level gets high (which I can't handle), and you just watched a game when UGA was up by 17 points at half and watched them go 3 and out, 4 straight possessions because they quit attacking, we will see how your reactions go. Hopefully it doesn't happen. But with the history of Kirby, until he proves it, against great teams, not vanderbilt. It is still a worry. That is all I'm saying. So maybe I should of said a killer instinct against real good teams, which is hard for now, since UGA hasn't played UF or Ala yet. I know Arkansas was ranked 8, but really? These are the same people that ranked clemson 3. That's all I'm saying. And before you lose your mind, yes I thought Arkansas was a very physical, well coached good team. But remember when you sat there and watched Ala take over the 4th qtr against UGA and win those games? Stopped attacking and tried to run out the clock. I know, the teams are different, but the coach is the same. Where you don't see the problem now, because of the blowouts, I am thinking about what if's possibly later. Maybe I shouldn't, but maybe it's just me and possibly others. I agree with you about the fact, UGA has looked really good even with the mass amount of injuries on the offense especially. I don't want to see UGA to throw the ball 70 times a game, but like my original comment said, take what the defense gives you. When Arkansas started to load the box a little more, we should of thrown it some more. That's all I was saying. And that Ala showed that is what they do. When OM dropped 6 in to coverage, bama ran the ball, and when the box got loaded more, they threw. It would of just been nice to see it done. So like I said, we can agree to disagree.

GO DAWGS!!!!!!