Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Elite or not, availability of JT Daniels will shape Georgia football season

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited October 2021 in Article commenting
imageElite or not, availability of JT Daniels will shape Georgia football season

Georgia football wants to be elite this year. Quarterback play will determine if that is the case.

Read the full story here

Comments

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IF, the injury was a result of a D lineman being overly aggressive by pushing an O lineman into JT during fall camp, I wonder who it was and what discipline he faced. We might not need JT to beat albarn, tenn and tech, but we will need him to beat uk, fla and bama.

• DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Imagine what the score might have been with JT Daniels able to play. Conner

I don't know, Conner. I think KIrby outlawed passes in the 2nd Quarter. He obviously would rather have 3-and-outs, and punts than score TDs vs a friend HC.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's a shame to have everything in place for a serious NC run except our starting QB. Let's all hope and pray he gets better sooner than later.

• G2ADG2AD Posts: 28 ✭✭ Sophomore

Great article. I hope the Uga coaching staff is thinking this way. I understand Kirby wanting to build his players up, but he can’t actually think Bennett is the equal to JT. Their ability are a difference of kind not degree. JT is NFL caliber, what level of NFL qb is in question, but no one questions the fact that Bennett is not NFL-quality. It has the feeling of Fromm-fields, though Fromm was a “maybe” NFL prospect and Fields was a top tier prospect, close to franchise QB potential. Let’s hope Kirby doesn’t prove the critics right by continuing with Bennett after any question of health is removed.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fields’ freshman year, the only year with the Dawgs, he wasn’t even a decent SEC QB much less elite. The only bone I have to pick with Kirby is when he would remove Fromm from games when he had the offense clicking only to give Fields entitlement snaps!

Stetson may not be JT, but Beck sure as heck is not Stetson. We can feel good about going into the Auburn and KY games with Stetson while JT recovers. With Beck, we would be like all the other top ten teams that have gone down this year; watching our season go up in flames!

Like Saban said yesterday after beating Ole Miss, that runs a 3-2-6 D like Arky, “You do what you have to do to win the game.” Bama doesn’t have the stable of RBs of UGA, but their #1 RB had the game of his career.

• robertasmithrobertasmith Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

I agree with the premise of this article. Bennett is probably better than I and many others give him credit for being, and I'm more of a "glass half empty" guy, but deep down I have not been able to convince myself that there will not come a time or two this season when this team absolutely will need JTD at QB, healthy and in sync with his receivers.

• SatbodSatbod Posts: 17 ✭ Freshman

Absolutely correct; Stetson is a great kid but who truly believes he can win out the season and the playoffs?

To me, it’s not about Stetson winning out the season and the playoffs, it’s about Stetson winning every game where he is needed until JT is 100% healthy. That’s the job of every backup QB from Pop Warner to the NFL.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Losing Fields is what set the UGA program back the last few years. Not sure UGA w/Fields would've beaten LSU's all time team or Bama's highest scoring team but losing Fields was the setback at the #1 position that UGA is still dealing with. If you recall UGA was recruiting Matt Corral until Fields committed. They also probably could've flipped GA resident Emory Jones had they not signed Fields. I hope this year shows Beck, Vandagriff and Stockton that a team needs 2 elite quality QB's to win at the highest level. Going forward ('22 etc) I expect CKS to give QB2 meaningful game minutes to prepare for these situations and keep 2 QB's happy. It is the smart thing to do.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

ShootHooch "Fields’ freshman year, the only year with the Dawgs, he wasn’t even a decent SEC QB much less elite. The only bone I have to pick with Kirby is when he would remove Fromm from games when he had the offense clicking only to give Fields entitlement snaps!" I disagree. Not helping Fields be successful and keeping him happy has set back UGA since. Fields did not beat out Fromm his freshman year. He clearly wasn't ready. But Fields bailed out before year 2. Fields was a virtual lock to replace Fromm year 2 . Look at Fromm's play that year. Look at Fields play yr 2 at OSU. You keep the guy with more upside and eligibility. Fields got antsy and skipped out to where he was promised QB1. Turned out okay for Fields. But it turns out his best shot at winning a championship and beating BAMA would've been to stay at UGA. He also would've gotten more pro system experience at UGA.

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm glad the water lizards got the average at best Emory Jones. He's far from a dual threat QB, a RB playing QB who can occasionally make a decent throw..GoDAWGS!

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Smart will start Bennett until JT is 100%. He as much as said so...in his round about way. The OL and DL beat Arkansas not Bennett. They allowed the RBs to gain much more ground than usual. The Arky defense said UGA could not run...wrong. The OL and RBs manhandled Ark. Pushed through them time and again....helping RBs gain precious yardage. I was amazed. Arky posed a 3-2-6 defense...perfect for the run. UGA has come a long way. They are physical and rough and tumble. In a good rhythm. Gobs of talent. I loved that game yesterday. Didn't need my heart meds...lol.

Kirby gave Fields entitlement snaps, they certainly were not earned, stalling our offense, in order to try to keep Fields happy so he wouldn’t transfer. Because of Fields, the only time in my memory Kirby’s mantra of “the best players play” was nothing more than hyperbolic garbage. What was Kirby supposed to do, totally bench the QB that lead the team to a botched coverage TD from a national championship in order to appease a malcontent with “huge upside” but did nothing to earn his way onto the field? Fromm got UGA closer to a natty than Fields did for the Bucknuts. And, given the opportunity Fields has been given with the Bears, Fromm could at least equal Fields’ miserable showing as an NFL QB.

• HunkerDawgHunkerDawg Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

Connor, I understand why reporters get upset with Kirby, but you guys should stop to consider what he is saying, too.

Kirby was telling the truth when he said that the game plan was dictated by what Arkansas was giving us. For the majority of snaps, they had only 5 in the box and had 2 to 3 men deep, when we had 5 to 6 blockers. Look at the tape. Watch Brooks Austin's tape sessions on Youtube. If you can average over 5 yards per run, keep running. And the QB is not going to have a high YPA because the defense is not giving you a lot of deep throws and there won't be a lot of YAC, when they are dropping 6, 7, and 8 guys. That's 7 of 11 is not an indictment of Stetson.

And Kirby is telling the truth when he says that the team believes in Stetson. They believe he can run the full offense. You're right that there is a reason he is #2, but the coaches deserve credit for using Stetson the way they have this year so he will be ready when needed. I believe Stetson has shown that the confidence he enjoys from coaches and teammates is earned, and I think he has shown more than enough in games to earn that respect and praise from the fans too.

I love the job you guys on Dawgnation do covering our team, and I understand that having the story you want to tell in your mind is part of your job. BUT, when responses go against your narrative, play a little devil's advocate in your own mind. Kirby's response shows me that he has this team taking the right approach.

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

@UGA66 i am glad you pointed out what the OL and DL did and how they contributed to the win. It is unfortunate that UGA fans fail to recognize that the lines did not do that last year against Florida or Alabama. It is just too easy to blame Bennett.

Do I think Bennett can win a game by himself, the answer is no. I don’t think Daniels can either. Maybe the last UGA quarterback that could was Stafford. Unfortunately he is now playing in LA and not Athens.

• G2ADG2AD Posts: 28 ✭✭ Sophomore

I don’t necessarily think Kirby was wrong either given the situation, Fromm being more polished and a better play caller + the type of offense that fit the team as a whole. I also don’t know if he could have done anything that would’ve kept fields long enough to develop. Just noting that most, even at the time, saw Fields as having the higher ceiling. And Bc of this and some misremember, the Fromm-fields debate has become and archetype of Uga football, one that looms over the program, even if it’s unfair. When Kirby implies that Bennett and jt are on the same level, probably to build up Bennett and give him confidence, brings up a sense of either not being able to evaluate qb play (which isn’t fair) or simply still preferring a certain type of qb so much that it clouds judgement. I must admit that though I think it basically not fair, my confidence in Kirby’s ability to manage the qb position is lower than any other position. If he comes out and tell us he’s found a box turtle to start at defensive back, I’m all in. However, qb decisions always leave me with questions.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well said @HunkerDawg. This article questions what the score "might" have been if JTD had played. The answer is, we'll never know. Maybe JTD has a terrible game yesterday. Or maybe he turns it over, or receivers don't get open. We scored 37 frigging points, which I don't think ANYONE said we would do before the game. Why is THAT not enough? I don't dispute that JTD is the more talented QB, but Bennett has proven -- time and again -- that he's a more than capable backup. Let's just support the kid as a DGD for as long as he's in there, and hope that JTD can get completely health as soon as possible. Go Dawgs!