Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Michelin size butt

ChopperChopper Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited October 2021 in DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone

I have a 14 lb pork butt that I’m cooking for the UK game. I have an electric oven and a gas grill ( I know, sacrilegious).

What’s your favorite rub and techniques?

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Tell me about it. Might have to start putting two piano benches back to back.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Chupacabra by 2 gringos is my favorite rub right now. With a butt that big I'd add some other rub to one side for a different texture.

• SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks Guys!

I needed that type of Michelin size butt moment of laughter this AM!

• philipsmith99philipsmith99 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hopefully your grill is large enough to keep butt away from flames. I cooked ribs on mine and they turned out great.

Many rubs on market and most are similar.

We cook many butts at our church and 1 guy has comb charcoal/gas but it is huge, his cooked on gas were good. All we cook are in 8-9 lbs range.

We are having a fish fry sat at church, come on over.

• GPPDawgGPPDawg Posts: 221 ✭✭✭ Junior

Oven and gas grill??? I'll be praying for you, lol.

I think you'd be able to go with something traditional, even if you aren't smoking. Slather some yellow mustard on, and make a rub. I'd go heavy on the brown sugar, kosher salt, paprika, some cayenne, dry mustard, onion powder, some garlic powder, fine black pepper, cumin, chili powder. Mix to your taste.

As far as technique, I'm not much help, as I'm a smoker. Make sure it stays moist in the oven (I'd spray with apple cider vinegar once you develop a crust, if you develop a crust), and cook it low and slow. Guessing you wouldn't need to wrap? I'd give it a few sprays on the grill while warming it up; probably cook it offset.

Is this a homegate?

• dirtypantsdirtypants Posts: 259 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

14lb butt cooked all at once will require about a 1/4 cup of each ingredient. I base rubs on sides. My go to BBQ rub is a classic: Salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, red pepper. Pork is naturally salty, and therefore needs less salt than if it were a brisket, but salt gives a great bark.

Now, if you want to break that bad boy down into tacos, take out a little paprika and add cumin. bout 50/50 for the 1/4 cup.

If you are doing traditional pulled pork, do a light coat or brown sugar after regular rub. Onion powder is also popular if you like the taste(this is completely up to you, I personally don't like it but my wife does).

Some people swear by the mustard coat, and it will work for adhering the rub to your butt(lol), but if it's a vacuum packed butt, it should have enough moisture to adhere on it's own.

I HIGHLY recommend a mop/elixir to artificially impart moisture, as you will definitely lose moisture cooking it that long. Apple cider is the very best. 2 cups cider to 1/2 cup vegetable oil. You can replace the cider with regular old apple juice if your local grocery doesn't have it yet. You can also inject the cider/juice prior to cooking, but that's a commitment.

Always remember, when it comes to smoking a large piece of meat, whether that's a giant pork butt or brisket, there is no shame in wrapping it in foil to finish the cook. Red meats don't absorb smoke flavor above an internal temp of ~120 degrees. Double wrap in foil and finish the cook that way to keep in the juice. I also recommend doing a 2 hour + rest in a foil wrap, towel wrap, cooler combo. Steams the meat, reintroduces juices throughout, and leaves your guests impressed.

Happy grill day!

edited October 2021

Mildred makes a mean casserole, and has the fastest fingers east of the Mississippi when playing Washed In The Blood on that organ!

• ChopperChopper Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Prayers always accepted brother. I have some talents but I am a subsistence griller. You won't go hungry, but you won't brag after either. My wife is an excellent cook so it works.

Yep homegate. 6 adults, 6 tweenagers. I have never done the mustard deal but I know it appears to be popular. Rub the mustard on and then sprinkle the rub powder? Standard yellow stuff? In fridge overnight, then cook? We're in BHM so If I can have it done by 2:30 I am good to watch the dogs and cats.

edited October 2021

Always looking for something to add to my prayer list!

I'm a man of many talents in the kitchen, and on the grill and smoker. Learned through, studying, and a lot of trial and error. I gotta find a wife like you have; I like to eat!

Yes, the regular ol yellow stuff. Just slather on the mustard; it gives the rub a little extra "glue" to stick to. Then, rub it. You can even do it morning of, and let it sit for 30 min + before cooking. It's up to you. You may consider putting grates beneath your pan, to get the butt off the surface.

Making any sauce/mop? I love Carolina mustard for pulled pork.

edited October 2021

I have never done the mop but I am a fast learner. Last time (the first time) I did this I rubbed it with Montreal steak the night before, put it in the oven the next morning @ 225 for 6 hours and it was falling apart so tenderly I could not transfer to grill. It wasn't bad, very tender, but just no BBQ/grill taste. Winn-Dixie had it for $1/lb so I gave it a shot....

I'd look up a few mops online, and tweak to your liking.

Let me suggest you start the butt on the grill, to get a crust, and finish in the oven at that 225. That may give you enough of the flame roasted flavor you are seeking.

• Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds like it will be a great day all the way around! I’m not by any means a master griller, that technique seems sound to me. Boston butt is great anyway I’ve ever had it. I’m sure it will be great, you guys enjoy, Go Dawgs!!!

• philipsmith99philipsmith99 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We have a 98 yr old piano player at our church and she could have knocked it out in any old west saloon.

She is something else, only plays now on special occasions.

Thankful for all the advice.

Not as thankful as Urban Meyer is for Jon Gruden's emails, but thankful.

edited October 2021

She sounds like a hoot! Does she do parties?

Todd Starnes spoke at our church Sunday, and said his grandma in MS has a bedazzled Glock she carries, and can knock out hymns with one hand, and fire simultaneously with the other.