Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

What position did you play?

Comments

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgwood82 said:
    What used to be called middle linebacker, now the mike or ILB. Good at football, smart enough for books but slept thru classes, ended up joining the army. Partied more there than any highschooler ever dreamed

That was my issue in HS.

@daddydawg72 said:
    Played LT 24 yrs ago. I still dream of pulling around on that counter trey play & drilling that LB in the ear hole.

Yessir

• thehutch40thehutch40 Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2017

OLB in high school, had a few offers until a 3rd and rather nasty concussion made me rethink playing in college. Decided baseball was a much safer sport for my brain so I pitched at an awesome D2 school in Milledgeville.

• ColaDawg86ColaDawg86 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I played baseball 3rd base then moved to 1st base in 8th grade. In football I played TE/DE/Bench Warmer*. I grew up and went to Norcross High.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@moos said:
    Ran XC
    One year of Free Safety. I was awful
    Center Half on the soccer squad
    Singles Tennis
    But my best work was as Drunkest Tailgater

Moos - what kinds of times did you run?

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

RB , OLB, and special teams. Miss it terribly

• Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I played DE & LB in highschool... also played third base and catcher.... played forward in basketball as well....

• GeorgiaRed8ty6GeorgiaRed8ty6 Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

Turning 32 in few months.. I weighed 277 in 10th grade.. School was real small so had to play both sides.. LT on offense and played DT. Sure wish I was in those days now and see if I could commit to the G! #kirbyforpresident

• TomGroseTomGrose Posts: 221 ✭✭✭ Junior

Baritone Horn in the Redcoats (pre-Herschel)

• dawghousedawghouse Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All State (2 Team) Baseball, 3rd Base
    DIII Baseball

• ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2017

@AndersonDawg said:
    Army in Vietnam.

Thank you for your service sir. I would imagine Vietnam wasn’t much of a game.

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@moos said:
    Ran XC
    Singles Tennis

17 minute 5k's. Decent, but I wasn't winning the county meets. I didn't take it that serious. It was mostly to stay in shape for soccer.

• dawgdude65dawgdude65 Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior
    1. Played wishbone QB. Knee injury ended career. My old man didn't believe in going to the doctor for sports injuries. I finally went and had ligament damage, tendon issues, and bone chips floating around my knee. Never really regained my speed plus it would pop out all the time and that hurt like hell. But God's been good to me and I moved on.

@moos said:

@donm said:

@moos said:
    Ran XC
    Singles Tennis

17 minute 5k's. Decent, but I wasn't winning the county meets. I didn't take it that serious. It was mostly to stay in shape for soccer.

Still, 17's aint chopped liver, especially since you likely didn't run distance in the spring in track. Nice work! I only ask because as a retiree I still volunteer coach xc and distance in track in my "spare" time.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Played on the o-line and played DE. Played with Charlie Ward at Thomas Co. Central....then just called Thomasville-Central. I was 2 years ahead of him in high school. I was a small lineman....6 feet, and about 220. I was offered a walk-on at Ga. Southern, but when I went up there, everybody was bigger than me, and they wanted me to learn to play FB in that flexbone offense. They said I was too small to be an o-lineman and too slow to be a DE, but they were fine with me taking a beating to get 4 yards a play up the middle on dive plays. I decided that I did not want to spend my later years barely being able to walk, so I gave it up.

edited December 2017

@donm said:

@moos said:

@donm said:

@moos said:
    Ran XC
    Singles Tennis

Still, 17's aint chopped liver, especially since you likely didn't run distance in the spring in track. Nice work! I only ask because as a retiree I still volunteer coach xc and distance in track in my "spare" time.

Wish I could still run, but I get shin splints pretty bad now. I took up cycling a couple years ago, though I've been off it recently. My body takes well to endurance sports. I can go at cycling hard every day, even at 40.

@moos said:

@donm said:

@moos said:

@donm said:

@moos said:
    Ran XC
    Singles Tennis

Wish I could still run, but I get shin splints pretty bad now. I took up cycling a couple years ago, though I've been off it recently. My body takes well to endurance sports. I can go at cycling hard every day, even at 40.

Ah, a slow twitch guy?

@donm said:

@moos said:

@donm said:

@moos said:

@donm said:

@moos said:
    Ran XC
    Singles Tennis

Ah, a slow twitch guy?

No, I'm pretty quick. I think my heart just likes abuse.

• dawfanfromalabamdawfanfromalabam Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

C and LB. 1970 - I was 180 and guards were 150-160.

@dawgdude65 said:
    52. Played wishbone QB. Knee injury ended career. My old man didn't believe in going to the doctor for sports injuries. I finally went and had ligament damage, tendon issues, and bone chips floating around my knee. Never really regained my speed plus it would pop out all the time and that hurt like hell. But God's been good to me and I moved on.

Hate to admit it, but I used to Love watching Walter Lewis run the option for Bama when I was a 7 year-old living in Phenix City.