Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Policy question

PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With the announced changes, I was wondering what is allowed now wrt outside links. I noticed the moderators removed the youtube link on the story comparing McConkey to Dee Dowis. Are all youtube or outside links forbidden, or just those that might be viewed as competition to Dawgnation stories?

Comments

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod
    edited October 2021

Unfortunately as of right now it is ALL outside links. It is still being discussed, you can email BJ directly if you wish his email is in his announcement.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not sure what derogatory comments towards groups of people means in terms of the hated Gators and such. In my opinion, we are engaging in good clean old fashioned traditional college football hate as opposed to actual hate. What's the policy in that regard?

Go, Dawgs!

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I think they mean some of the personal attacks between forum members. Which happens from time to time.

• CondorFactsCondorFacts Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2021

I honestly thought that one of the reasons this forum was here was to give the staff writers insight into what the fanbase was talking about/interested in. Why would you want to take that away by slowly declining the userbase? I'm sure there are more factors than that, though.

• GurleymanGurleyman Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

Its my perspective as well that this will be a bad move as well. Dawgnation wants traffic and im sure to some degree this will hurt traffic. The only thing in my opinion that will provide a solid floor is there is some of if not the best content surrounding the dawgs being provided by BA, Jeff, Conor and Mike (apologies if i missed anyone) through podcast and youtube videos.

Im my opinion, and its not an expert one, the forum regulation is becoming annoying (and know some will say "then leave" - thats fine I might). I understand taking down payed articles, i also understand blocking folks that slander others. I dont understand removing or closing posts because the content is off topic, or portrays a qb contraversy, or doesnt align with the measage the masses want to hear. This used to be a much more open forum. It's annoying to see things controlled at this level.

Just my 2 cents, certainly i am sure there was thought put into these decisions.

• cincydawgcincydawg Posts: 64 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thanks for the reply @Teddy. I'm sure whoever come up with this has good intentions. I just wanted to add my 2 cents because I have some experience here.

I've always wondered if hiding the football threads from users who aren't logged in hurts new user acquisition. I wouldn't read the note at the top before looking for threads of interest. I'm guessing some folks don't see any football threads and just move on. Anyway, I'll stop critiquing and go back to lurking. Thanks again.

• markrichtermarkrichter Posts: 341 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I dont think the userbase can decline much more. It is almost to ghost town levels since many left for other sites.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree, the note to sign up to view all recruiting/football threads on the homepage sticky could be more prominent and a little more clear in its instructions. We mods don't control that. But to answer your question, sign-ups skyrocketed when visitors were asked to signup to view all recruiting/football threads. I think DN could go back to promoting signups a little more frequently in articles and podcasts/streaming content. The forum will always be a work in progress and hopefully we'll see some updates soon. We appreciate your feedback.

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@cincydawg is right, and the mods are right to raise these concerns. If dawgnation only wants comments on dawgnation specific content, then it would seemingly make more sense to move to a article comment section rather than having a forum.

• cincydawgcincydawg Posts: 64 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm sure that the signups skyrocketed, but that's what I would expect to be the short-term impact. In fact, that's when I created my account. But I was already on the forum before generating ad impressions for DN. And I debated whether or not to create an account, but ultimately decided to. I'm sure I would have signed up at some point since I'm too opinionated to stay quite forever.

The question I have, is do you have more traffic and a more active forum today then you would have had without that change. It's not easy one to answer, but I'd want more than a surge in signups to validate the decision (unless signups is what you monetize). Georgia being an ascending program during this time also also complicates figuring out what works and doesn't. It could have been the best decision, though.

I think you are definitely on to something about promoting signups and making sure new users understand there is something behind the curtain since it's likely what they are looking for when they make a first visit to this forum.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

What other similar but better forums are available to us.

Asking for a friend of course.

We've lost too many very good, very informed posters, and retained at least one who...

Go, Dawgs!

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Traffic also soared following the requirement to signup to view all threads, and continued to soar for a very long time after this update. Posters who never would've commented (like yourself) would've never added their voice to the conversation. This update added more conversation/points-of-view and was good for both the members and DN, so it was a win-win.