Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Chip's MJ policy article

moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Comments

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That is very interesting. Seem the AJC wants to "sell papers? Headline - "Should we be surprised that the AJC wants to sell papers"? Mr. Betteridge's law says....Nope.

• DawgBiscuitDawgBiscuit Posts: 480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe that some laws just don't make sense, are not ethical, and simply need to be changed. Weed is a natural organic substance, and it has a medical purpose along with a recreational one the same as alcohol. Some areas of the country do not allow drinking alcohol until you reach the age of 21. However, it's OK to give your life for your country at age 18. Go figure? Here's the "but"... the question for athletes, specifically UGA football players is: How many all-pro NFL players and Hall-of-Fame players smoked weed? Does weed and alcohol use help you become a better athlete? Does it help you get in shape, and stay in tip-top shape? Disclosure: I'm a former athlete, tobacco smoker and weed smoker. I quit tobacco and weed smoking in the early 1980's in my 50's. I no longer smoke anything now except for the what is cooked on my grill and BGE. However, I still workout 3-4 times per week.

Go Dawgs! (and stay away from weed, tobacco, booze, and wild women) :)

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2017

@DawgBiscuit said:
    How many all-pro NFL players and Hall-of-Fame players smoked weed? Does weed and alcohol use help you become a better athlete? Does it help you get in shape, and stay in tip-top shape?

I'm not gonna name names, but I was best friends with a guy I worked with who was childhood friends with a very good NBA player (he basically made a career of being traded around the league every couple of years being the 6th man on whatever team he went to). They remained friends through high school (where they were on the basketball team together and won the state championship) and went to college together as roommates for a few years.

Marijuana use is very common in the NBA, even amongst star players. I've seen it a couple of times and I'm a complete nobody as far as those NBA guys are concerned. Just someone they were nice to because I happened to be around a couple of times. Like you would be nice to anyone who happened to be in the same room as you.

Did it help them become better players? Probably as much as any other way to blow off some steam. I talked to one of them about it. The common rationale was basically that if you keep your body in good enough of shape, marijuana isn't powerful enough to harm you. And those guys know their bodies. They can feel what strengthens and what weakens them. Not every human walking around listens to their body and is in tune with it. But I find it hard to believe there are a lot of athletes of NBA caliber who aren't in touch with their body.

Now how marijuana affects their mood, even the next day or week after they've smoked it. I wouldn't consider them experts on that.

Loved the opening to Chip's article:

You want to make a Georgia football player uncomfortable? Ask him what he thinks about the athletic department’s pot policy.

LOL

But going after the players to comment is the wrong approach. Not only are the guys kids who nobody is going to take their views on life as any kind of definitive. But they're trying to work their way up the ranks while underneath the guys responsible for the policy.

If someone wanted to make a difference, they need to go to the G day Dame and protest there. Probably need a petition to see how many fans sign. And I wouldn't be flashing around the name Riley Ridley. Last thing that guy wants is more publicity for what happened.

Chip is a responsible journalist and so think it's cool he did an experiment asking the guys on the team. But I for one don't want to see people keep harassing the players about this stuff. Cut Kirby and McGairty's head off over it. I don't care. But the players just aren't in a good position to work on it.

edited March 2017

@levander said: " The common rationale was basically that if you keep your body in good enough of shape, marijuana isn't powerful enough to harm you. And those guys know their bodies."

Well, I'm not qualified to comment about the facts on how MJ effects your body, but based upon the above quote, somebody should update, and correct the info here: http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/marijuana-use-and-its-effects#1

@DawgBiscuit said:

@levander said: " The common rationale was basically that if you keep your body in good enough of shape, marijuana isn't powerful enough to harm you. And those guys know their bodies."

Well, I'm not qualified to comment about the facts on how MJ effects your body, but based upon the above quote, somebody should update, and correct the info here: http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/marijuana-use-and-its-effects#1

Hey DawgBiscuit, thanks for responding. I wouldn't expect anyone to take what I wrote above as a random internet user with a fake name, to take that and treat it as gospel. The most I would personally do myself is sometimes I'll notice a contrary opinion to my own on a place like this, and maybe decide to keep an open mind about it. Look for more evidence later maybe. I just wanted to throw up a paragraph letting you know I'm not trying to win a **** internet argument or anything. Just exchange some ideas is all.

This is from the beginning of the article you posted:

"Though occasional use isn’t usually harmful, pot can affect your body and mind any time it gets into your system. Here’s what you need to know."

What that article you linked to me reads as like one of those warning labels on prescription medicine. Your doctor tells you to take it. If any of those side effects occur, you stop taking it. And for the vast majority of people, they don't occur. That's kind of why I was pointing out I consider NBA guys as experts on how their bodies react personally.

Plus there was a lot of talk in that article about "when marijuana is in your system". The vast majority of it leaves your system several hours after you ingest it.

Me personally, I think the real harm from marijuana comes in how it affects your mood. Not that there' should anything magic about it. Just from personal experience (in the distant past) and watching others, it just seems to way on a person. Kind of like I've noticed people who get up early tend to be more productive, people who stay up late maybe have fun, being up all night watching funny stuff on TV and going out at night on the weekends. Me, I feel better being a productive person than a partying person, so I try to get up early. But it's not a hard and fast rule for me. I'm sure there are people out there who are very late sleepers... but this harm I'm talking about comes from regular use. Not occasional use. Often though we get into "environments", and occasional use becomes regular use.

@levander said: "Hey DawgBiscuit, thanks for responding. I wouldn't expect anyone to take what I wrote above as a random internet user with a fake name, to take that and treat it as gospel. The most I would personally do myself is sometimes I'll notice a contrary opinion to my own on a place like this, and maybe decide to keep an open mind about it. Look for more evidence later maybe. I just wanted to throw up a paragraph letting you know I'm not trying to win a **** internet argument or anything. Just exchange some ideas is all."

Mr. levander.... Nuff said. Good debate.... Go dawgs!

• dawghousedawghouse Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgBiscuit said:
    I believe that some laws just don't make sense, are not ethical, and simply need to be changed. Weed is a natural organic substance, and it has a medical purpose along with a recreational one the same as alcohol. Some areas of the country do not allow drinking alcohol until you reach the age of 21. However, it's OK to give your life for your country at age 18. Go figure? Here's the "but"... the question for athletes, specifically UGA football players is: How many all-pro NFL players and Hall-of-Fame players smoked weed? Does weed and alcohol use help you become a better athlete? Does it help you get in shape, and stay in tip-top shape? Disclosure: I'm a former athlete, tobacco smoker and weed smoker. I quit tobacco and weed smoking in the early 1980's in my 50's. I no longer smoke anything now except for the what is cooked on my grill and BGE. However, I still workout 3-4 times per week.

Go Dawgs! (and stay away from weed, tobacco, booze, and wild women) :)

You had me up to the "wild women" part. ;)

edited March 2017

@dawghouse said: "You had me up to the "wild women" part. ;)"

Yep... It was fun when I was young. However, I thought she was "wild" when I met her, but she turned out to be just what I needed, and not what I thought I wanted. She stole my heart and next thing I knew I was married. You gotta watch out for those "wild women", they'll take your heart, and straighten you up :)

• dawghousedawghouse Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgBiscuit said:

@dawghouse said: "You had me up to the "wild women" part. ;)"

Yep... It was fun when I was young. However, I thought she was "wild" when I met her, but she turned out to be just what I needed, and not what I thought I wanted. She stole my heart and next thing I knew I was married. You gotta watch out for those "wild women", they'll take your heart, and straighten you up :)

Good for you Biscuit, always great to hear whenever someone is living life with true happiness. Keep on keepin' on friend.