Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

VETERANS DAY

AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited November 2021 in General

pgjackson hit a home run with his Marine Corps birthday post yesterday!

Today is Veterans Day and I would like to wish my fellow veterans a safe and reflective day to remember those who did not return home and to thank those who served. Per pgjackson’s idea, please share a picture if you wish. Below is a picture of me and 4 buds clowning around one afternoon in Phu Bai Combat Base, South Vietnam in the fall of 1968. (I’m in the middle).

Comments

• flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Trying to find a picture of me at the Fort Jackson Reception Center right before I moved on to Fort Gordon. Can't believe I was ever that young. July 1981 turned 18 in boot camp the following month. Still think of it like it was yesterday.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Trivia of the day...

Did you know that Vince Dooley was a Marine Corps Captain in the Infantry before he became UGA's coach?

In the Athletic Department somewhere there used to be a "Coach's Creed" that Dooley came up with. It was almost verbatim of the Marine Corps Drill Instructor's Creed. This is the DI's creed:

"These recruits are entrusted to my care. I will train them to the best of my ability. I will develop them into smartly disciplined, physically fit, basically trained Marines, thoroughly indoctrinated in love of the Corps and country. I will demand of them and demonstrate by my own example, the highest standards of personal conduct, morality, and professional skill."

I used to have a picture of Dooley's Creed...I wish I could find it. He was the first Guest of Honor at our MC Ball in Athens in 2004. There used to be a Navy base in Athens and there was a small Marine Detachment there. I was the XO of the Marines from 2004-2007. When Dooley was AD, we used to be able to walk right into his office and he would sign footballs for us or reenlist guys. He loved us. Here's a couple of photos of us with Dooley (I'm second from the left). The football is the one he sent me in Iraq. I got my whole unit to take a photo with a UGA flag in Iraq and sent it to him. He sent me the football in exchange.

Also, Mark Richt's brother in law, Chappie Hines, who was the team chaplain, was also a Marine. He used to wander into space and raise hell with the guys. Awesome guy. He was most famous for starting the team prayer for both teams after the game at mid field.