Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

BA Doesn’t like Arch Manning

Comments

• Options
    HaymakerHaymaker Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@

If stet wins the championship as the starter, he’s the starter next year no questions asked. JT would have to go pro or transfer.

as for gunner, he’s an awesome player. He’s a 4 star for his tools vs manning as a 5 star. I know it’s hard for fans to understand the difference between tools and stats but that’s the difference between the two. Just think of the difference between mahomes and tebow. Tebow, clearly the better college quarterback with the better team vs mahomes who didn’t have the success but had more tools. Stylistically Stockton and manning are similar to that comparison. Both athletic but one is more durable. Both throw well but one has a quicker stronger arm. Both can be successful at the college level. Also don’t mistake that comparison for a talent comparison , just talking stylistically

• Options
    donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The thought occurred to me whether Arch Manning likes BA.

• Options
  • Options
    skidmarksskidmarks Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think BA feels or maybe he’s got some info from recruiting reporters that there’s almost no chance he comes here. UGA is not QB U .. the OC may or may not be here then, CKS is def minded coach etc… it’s just not the set up for #1 QB in the country.

make no mistake about it, LSU is willing to spend $100M to get the HC that will land Arch Manning ,

The LSU coach search committee meets at the Mannings table

• Options

Say that to the 3 5 star quarterbacks that have been recruited in the past 5 years. Evidence doesn’t back your point. Also if you think a coaching search relies on one HS kid, I’d go back and look how every other major coaching hire has been made

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,716 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I still have a feeling this kid is grossly overrated. I'm sure he is outstanding, but the hype is unreal. I almost feel sorry for him because if he's just really good, it won't be good enough. He is going to have to have a Trevor Lawrence kind of TF season.

• Options

Kid is very good but you’re right, the hype is unreal. No player deserves this kind of hype unless they’re a Bo jackson type that’s a slam dunk freak of nature seen once in a life time. But to say if he’s really good it won’t be enough, I doubt that. If he’s really good, many people will feel confirmed and he’ll have that tidal wave of support from people doing just self preservation. If he’s a Bo nix type, that’s where I would feel bad for him cuz he’d get roasted

• Options
  • Options

talented, but hasn’t been good. Gotta chalk some of that up to coaching as well

• Options

Yes. I mean we have people speculating that a major university is about to pay a HC an unheard of amount of money because they think he can land AG. I'm not sure that is true....but that is the kind of hype this kid is getting. People really think this kid is the Messiah. How in the world is he going to live up to the hype?

• Options

That’s fan talk, I don’t think I’ve heard or seen anyone with credentials say such a thing. Fans will always take things to the nth degree that will be outside of reality and even consensus sentiment

• Options

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Unreasonable expectations.

• Options
    GitRDone77GitRDone77 Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

@Haymaker , you are missing my point entirely. I am not taking anything away from the talent that Arch Manning has. The issue is that in every situation when the competition gets tougher, he fails to lead his team to victory. One player cannot single handed win any team sport game. It take the whole team.

But you are not giving Gunner Stockton the credit that he deserves. He has delivered. He is in the process of delivering over and over. Does Manning have an 88-3 record? No, he does not.

Let's not forget something else. The Mannings (Eli or Peyton) never won a state championship at their high school. They did not deliver a national championship for either Tennessee or Ole Miss. It is very doubtful that even Arch Manning can do that without a team around him that can deliver the results.

Right now, there are 2 schools he has visited that would give him the greatest opportunity, UGA and Alabama. They are the only 2 programs that are stable enough for any great player to be able to succeed.

Forget about Texas, Clemson or Ole Miss. Who knows what will happen next year. If the family is ready to make a business decision, UGA is really their only option, but likely not the one they will choose. Saban may not even be around the 4 years for Arch to complete his collegiate career. You can take it to the bank that Kirby Smart will be around unless the program completely collapses. Do you see that happening?

• Options

No I don’t see that happening Kirby is the most stable coach in CFB. I get your point, but you use it and then counter it. Gunner is amazing because of his stats and record, but it’s a team game. Mannings never won a college championship, so it’s on them? Seems like a flip to me. And Arch manning I think does have a good record 30-5 or something like that. It’s not GS levels which are record breaking but I’m pretty sure Stocktons team is much better right? I really don’t know so that’s a serious question. It’s also hard to go over state lines when comparing HS.

GS is more developed, higher floor. Manning is less developed (but could just be the year age difference), but higher ceiling. I’m not knocking either kid. I’m not a big HS stat guy, I like to watch the tape and measurables and through that lens is why I prefer Arch. But it’s just a preference, I think both can be great players

• Options

That is a great observation. UGA and Bama are the only two stable programs out there that he is considering. Texas will absolutely have a new coach by the time he's heading to college. LSU, Ole Miss, Tenn....all have questionable/unproven coaching situations as well. I have a feeling Bama might be in the lead. Young's backup is a guy who is Bear Bryant's great grandson. He's a 4-star...but I have a feeling his heritage was a big part of that rating. Essentially, Bama doesn't have a deep QB room like UGA has right now.

• Options

Dang I didn’t know that about the backup QB. You think he had a choice where he was going? Lol

• Options

Nope. He was going to Bama no matter what. I only know that because I used to work for a concrete company owned by Bear's grandson. That was a big deal for the business. The owner's son was a big shot QB in the Birmingham area who everyone knew was going to Bama. I have no idea if the kid is any good, but he's certainly benefitted from his family heritage.

• Options

UGA is deeper. But Alabama does have a 5 star coming in for 22 that’s suppose to be the real deal so it’s not a easy room to walk into either. Plus with the portal you just can’t predict who winds up where anymore year to year. I was surprised by JT winding up at UGA, seemed very random to me at the time. I was all in on Newman but Kirby obviously might’ve known that situation way sooner than the media

• Options

I am preparing for JT hitting the portal. I don't think he's ready for the NFL and I'm not sure he can beat out Stet.