Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Cy Brown's Musical Taste

LudadawgLudadawg Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman

As a self described musical nerd I often spend a lot of my free time listening to music. I have nearly 1,000 vinyl records that cover many genres and time periods. I am a bit of musical historian and I discovered long ago that some of the best music is hard to find and would be considered very obscure to casual music fans. I understand that the vast portion of the readers on Dawgnation are not here to listen to music, but you folks should really pay attention to the music that Cy posts everyday in the Daily Download. He consistently posts REALLY great stuff from all different genres and I personally look forward to seeing what he puts up everyday.

Tagged:

Comments

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like his videos of dogs doing things too. I think his football conclusions often leave much to be desired.

• BigGAdawgBigGAdawg Posts: 575 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I could not disagree more. If Cy wants to post music videos he should have a music blog in the entertainment section. I find much of his taste in music objectionable at the least. I respect your right to your opinion but I really wish you would not encourage him. Bad enough that Dave O'Brien does this also. Oh well, to each his own.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigGAdawg said:
    I could not disagree more. If Cy wants to post music videos he should have a music blog in the entertainment section. I find much of his taste in music objectionable at the least. I respect your right to your opinion but I really wish you would not encourage him. Bad enough that Dave O'Brien does this also. Oh well, to each his own.

Yes, tastes are individual and that's fine. I have listened to a couple of his posts and found them not at all to my liking, so I no longer click there. I love dogs (and Dawgs) so I continue to watch those little videos. His football analysis....meh...

• LudadawgLudadawg Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman

@BigGAdawg said:

DOB also has very good taste in music. I honestly laugh out loud that Cy posts some of the stuff he posts because I know the vast majority of the readers here probably find it very strange and well outside their taste range. His musical choices certainly don't always swing for the mainstream crowd, but in all honesty most die hard music fans find mainstream music to be quite boring.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LudaDawg, you have any recommendations for blues based jazz? I've been trying to get into that more.

I think the reason it's hard to find some of the best music is because people who will look for it have already heard the popular stuff so many times... Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here is a great song, But how many times in one lifetime can I enjoy that song? I've probably heard it over 500 times already. Hence my looking around away from classic rock I grew up with into other genres...

Incidentally, I've wasted a lot of time looking for music I like. As a certified cheapskate, I've found a Pandora subscription worth the money if you're determined to find more music you like. I forget how you spell her name, but I've got a station based on Meshell Ndegeocello and I'm finding all kinds of similar music effortlessly that it would have taken years to find otherwise. And you just click the thumbs up button to remember what it was you like (which also further fine tuned station...) It's basically rhythm and blue in a minor key with a female singer that I'm into right now. I never would have figured that out without Pandora.

• LudadawgLudadawg Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman

@levander said:
    LudaDawg, you have any recommendations for blues based jazz? I've been trying to get into that more.

I think the reason it's hard to find some of the best music is because people who will look for it have already heard the popular stuff so many times... Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here is a great song, But how many times in one lifetime can I enjoy that song? I've probably heard it over 500 times already. Hence my looking around away from classic rock I grew up with into other genres...

Incidentally, I've wasted a lot of time looking for music I like. As a certified cheapskate, I've found a Pandora subscription worth the money if you're determined to find more music you like. I forget how you spell her name, but I've got a station based on Meshell Ndegeocello and I'm finding all kinds of similar music effortlessly that it would have taken years to find otherwise. And you just click the thumbs up button to remember what it was you like (which also further fine tuned station...) It's basically rhythm and blue in a minor key with a female singer that I'm into right now. I never would have figured that out without Pandora.

There is a singer/guitarist out of Austin named Gary Clark Jr that I am a big fan of. His sound is a lot more blues than jazz, but he does have elements of jazz, soul, and funk. The man can really play a guitar.

@Ludadawg said:

@levander said:

There is a singer/guitarist out of Austin named Gary Clark Jr that I am a big fan of. His sound is a lot more blues than jazz, but he does have elements of jazz, soul, and funk. The man can really play a guitar.

Yeah, actually that's funny you reminded me of him. I saw he had a signature Epiphone guitar made like a year ago, and the promo stuff made me think I needed to check him out. And maybe a month ago, I Shazam'd a song off the radio with my iPhone I really liked. The name came up Gary Clark Jr... I really do need to listen to more of his stuff.

• pippin888pippin888 Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BigGAdawg said:

some of it is good some is terrible, but you do have the option to listen or not.. mostly i dont

@pippin888 said:

@BigGAdawg said:

some of it is good some is terrible, but you do have the option to listen or not.. mostly i dont

I figure Cy gets a little bored if he doesn't find ways to mess with what he's doing. Adding a couple of music references in probably just keeps it interesting for him, and hopefully for as much of his audience as possible.

It's only like a few sentences he adds. This day and age, I don't think I read barely anything on the Internet without skimming part of the article. Cy doesn't make it tough to skim over the music references if you're not interested...