Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Alabama indifferent to ‘underdog’ chatter vs. Georgia, focused on winning SEC title game

SystemSystem Posts: 10,473 admin
edited December 2021 in Article commenting
imageAlabama indifferent to ‘underdog’ chatter vs. Georgia, focused on winning SEC title game

If you think “underdog Alabama” just doesn’t seem to have the right ring to it, you are not alone.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior

"Georgia ranks second in the SEC in scoring offense (40.7 points per game), trailing only the Tide (42.7), but a deeper dive reveals the Bulldogs are only sixth in the SEC in total offense, and only eighth in passing offense."

Must be the QB situation, hey? You just don't want to seem to let it go, do you, obviously you watch. But I don't think you fully understand what you see. Maybe you can gloat if Georgia finally loses one and you can tell everyone you told us so.

Team game, which also includes a game plan on how you want to attack a team. Hence, the point differential of UGA's opponents. Bennett is obviously who we're sticking with, but keep on implying and reminding how much better the backup is.....maybe you can show us some stats.

Great job, keep up the good work!

• Options
    Dawglifer72Dawglifer72 Posts: 9 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited December 2021

Another **** article on trying to create a quarterback controversy. Can you please look at the stats and see how many times we scored on five or less on plays on our scoring drives? So in that case you will have less attempts. Ok then give me a stat on our average starting field position. So if we have fewer yards to go on average we will have less plays. It’s pretty simple math. We beat everyone by over twenty points. So stop about Stetson!

• Options
    LamardleeLamardlee Posts: 15 ✭✭ Sophomore

I wonder where our offense ranks in the first half of games, you know, before we put the other team away. We spend nearly half of every game with the second, third or fourth string quarterback handing the ball off to the fifth string running back running behind the third string offensive line.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

I don't check the Alabama boards, but I wonder if they're writing similar articles about us. "Georgia excited to play the role of favorite heading into SECCG..."

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We haven't "relied on heavily on the play action pass". IF anything we've gotten stuffed trying to run and had to open up games with the passing attack, which is a good one. THen we could run. We average 40 more yards per game throwing it than rushing. Most of our rushing success has come later on in the 3rd and 4th quarter because we got big leads and started milking the clock(running and not passing much).

I'm not a believer that we are going to line up and be able to move the ball well running it. At least not to start the game. If we start running it will be because our passing attack is proving successful.

We are not Auburn or Arkansas that are true play action pass teams. Those are teams that have to run in order to pass. IMO we could have scored no telling how many more points against teams this year if we had kept passing it after mid-way though the 3rd quarter.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't see Bama being a real "underdog". Bama's keys to success are honestly 2 people: Nick Saban and Bryce Young. If Saban dials up a great game plan and Young has a good to great day then we may be in trouble.

But, like I've said before, Georgia is the ONLY team that can beat Georgia this season.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@reddawg1 " The run game we have had is set up as play-action and a lot of those explosive plays have come off play-action." -- Kirby Smart.

Georgia is a big play-action team -- run to set up pass -- so are a lot of the other top teams. This, as opposed to spread and pass to set up run.

Kirby and Todd Monken are no different than any other coaches: They build their offense around their personnel and strengths.

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Kasey @

@KBP : Trolling to get his clicks, probably sitting back LHAO because people are falling for it (narrative).

I guess I’m included, but it gets old and tiring. Tells you what kind of writer he is if he has to resort to this.

I guess it is probably best to not click on his articles anymore (me)…..too many out there that give good information without giving their 2 cents.

Kirby & staff is good enough for me, they are there every practice.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith So you cherry pick a few stats on Stetson Bennett and poop on our offense? Par for the course this season, I guess. 🤣

I’ll cherry pick a bit of my own…

I just took a look at ESPN’s Quarterback Ratings. Stetson is second, behind C.J. Stroud, in QBR for the season. Bryce Young is fourth. 😉

• Options

The games where UGA has come out slow on offense were because the Running game couldn't get going in the 1st quarter of those games and on many of those failed drives SB was left with long yardage situations on 3rd down and he failed to complete a 3rd down pass. Let me show you what I mean: against Auburn in the 1st Quarter we had 6 rushing attempts for 18 yards. Against FLorida in the 1st quarter we had 7 attempts for 29 yards. Against KY we were 6 attempts for 18 yards, against Missouri we had 9 attempts for 21 yards. That's 28 attempts for 88 yards in those 4 games thats 3.2 yards per carry. Not exactly elite 1st quarters.

In those games we started having some success eventually, 2nd and 3rd quarters when SB opened it up more with the pass. Now we do run the ball 60 % of the time and so one could just look at that stat alone and say ,"well they're a run team or play action passing team", but that stat belies the fact that we are a team that gets going as the passing get's going. Often times in spite of not really having much success running it.

Naturally when one part of the offense gets going then the other tags alone too. But to say that when are a team that depends on getting the run game going to set up play action, just hasn't been how things have gone down IMHO. I have no doubt that has been the goal of CKS, it just hasn't worked in several games. In those games we got the passing game going, then the run game started coming on.

• Options
    edited December 2021

@reddawg1 My only comment on your comment is that I would say “the offense failed to complete a 3rd down and long pass”, as opposed to “he failed to complete a 3rd down pass”. Sometimes (like all QBs) Stetson has been off the mark, sometimes the receiver failed to bring in a catchable pass, sometimes Stetson did not have adequate pass protection, etc. Completing a 3rd and long pass is a team effort. Stetson certainly has the ability to complete a 3rd and long pass as evidenced by the fact that he has one of the longer yards per pass averages in college football last I checked.

• Options

Hemingwey

Absolutely, didn't mean to put it all on SB's shoulders.

• Options

I posted on this article or on another recent one that running for zero yards and then hitting it again for 2 yards and now your 3rd and 8 is a losing proposition against BAMA. Need to be creative and pass some on the early downs. Hit a few of those early on and suddenly the run game looks much better. SB will need to be sharp early on.

Anyone remember the Auburn game we got blown out at Auburn trying to be tough in the run. They stopped us cold. In the SECC we came out throwing and caught them off guard,

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree. Most of the biggest plays have come off play-action, which was set up by the run game. Bama will try to take the run away and force Bennett to pass more often. Georgia needs to establish the run for 150 at a minimum. If they get 200- plus, it's game over for Bama.

I'm not too concerned. Kirby has the better OC. Monken will have a creative game-plan. I expect to see a few new plays in this one. GOOODAWGS!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"...he has one of the longer yards per pass averages in college football last I checked."

Ahem. Don't you mean the team has one of the longer averages? Per your own argument?

• Options

What I recall about the SECCG rematch with Auburn is that Georgia used creative plays to get its backs the ball on the outside and allow them to turn the corner, thus avoiding Auburn’s defensive front.

• Options

THere has been an approach this year that we're going to run the ball and man handle the opponents defensive front. We have done that in years past. This year except for the weakest of teams we have struggled to run effectively especially early on in games, even though the first 3-4 series in the game we tried to bully people, until it didn't work, and then it's like, to blank with it, "we're throwing it." And often times easy as 1, 2,3 TD!

I'm not saying just be a passing team and forget the run, that's crazy!..I'm just saying, let's be more creative early on, and not go run up the middle, run up the middle, now it's 3rd and 8 and you're facing the blitz.

IMO we need to get out front of BAMA and put some doubts in their heads. I don't think the usual slow start approach of scoring 3 points or 7 points in the 1st half like we did against the better teams is going to be good enough. But that's just me. I think we have a dynamic passing attack. It's better than our running attack.

I know it isn't the conservative approach, but let's get the passing game going early on.