Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Dan Mullen second-guesses Kirby Smart’s fourth-down decision, ‘deflated Georgia sideline’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,473 admin
edited December 2021 in Article commenting
imageDan Mullen second-guesses Kirby Smart’s fourth-down decision, ‘deflated Georgia sideline’

ATLANTA — Dan Mullen took a spot on the SEC Network wrap-up show on Saturday night, providing the perspective of a head coach who faced Georgia and Alabama this season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

Who cares what this CLOWN thinks? His ENTIRE season was second guessed, the exact reason he's unemployed. Worry about your own hide instead of others. Mullet has no foundation to second guess ANY coach. A TRUE 🤡

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 186 ✭✭✭ Junior

He may be a clown in your mind, but he's right on this one. I suppose you agree with going for it on 4 & 9 against Bama instead of taking the 3 and getting a little bump there.

• Options
    edited December 2021

Never said I agreed with the call..It was a bad call on 4th and long, 3 points inches you closer ( if Podlesny makes the FG attempt). 3 points are always better than 0. Still doesn't change the fact Mullen is a 🤡 and not just my mind, I don't know of anyone (UGA or UF fan) who thinks of Mullen as anything but a CLOWN.

• Options
    DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am OK with Dan’s criticism. That is what he paid to do. We still beat him all but once.

FWIW I enjoyed having fun at Dan’s expense as much as most. However, I think it is better to point out his clownish behavior than to call him a clown.

• Options
    MLVMLV Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think Kirby was right to go for it on 4rth there. If we had tried and gotten a field goal, Georgia would have still needed two TDs to come from behind.

• Options

What's the difference? Simple solution.. Don't want to be called a clown, don't act like one. It's that easy..

• Options
    Davedawg96Davedawg96 Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

Going for it on 4th and 9 and Bennett basically throwing the ball away felt like 2018’s fake punt - a desperation move. What happened to the steady keep chopping? Get those **** points and give us traction to get back into the game. Read the room. I thought we were past the coaching stupidity?

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"You’re forcing a guy who is not a drop-back quarterback to have to make tight throws in tight windows instead of just running the offense.”...Mullen. That is on the QB coach and Kirby, forcing Bennett to do what he simply is not capable of doing. Smart better wake up...today...or they may have to re-evaluate his position. That was a disastrous game for the #1 team. What do you know...Mullen called it better than Kirby. They said Mullen is a good offensive strategist. I am not a Gator hater. I am a Dawg but the Dawgs are in ye olde doghouse.

Tell me...what can Kirby do to ever beat Saban? Do we put UGA on cruise control and cruise to SEC East a couple more times like Richt? Then hope Saban retires or his QB and receivers get lumbago? Kirby is not capable of beating Saban...he had the team to do it this year...but then hardly anyone can beat Saban...except A&M. UGA was over rated and it is now obvious. You can bet the Committee will look long and hard before UGA sees #1 again. I stayed up all night over this miserable game. No more. UGA and AD Brooks will have to look into their crystal ball and make a judgement. What is UGA willing to settle for? Mediocrity or greatness? They have spent untold millions of dollars on Kirby Smart and Georgia football...this is serious business. And Kirby comes up short again and again. Where does the University draw the line? How many more years will they wait for a Natty?

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If any of these comments were by any other analyst, most would agree. UGA was definitely out-coached and I’m not sure there was a solid game plan to address a deficit of this nature. Whether the decision was best or not, one has to assess the tools for accomplishing the objective and our QB play and play calling had shown putting Bennett in that situation was a bad call. His confidence was clearly shaken and his skills have been enhanced by great catches and most YAC. Almost all of his long balls hung in the air too long and allowed the defender to close and left us hoping for an interference call each time. Bama was able to keep most of their defense in a 10-15 yard box and let us dink all day until we ran out of room. This type of a shootout was what we had all suspected would be our biggest challenge and the coaches and players didn’t rise to the occasion. Defense can’t win every game for us and Saban continues to show none is better at exploiting a teams weaknesses.

• Options
    DoubleDawg7476DoubleDawg7476 Posts: 15 ✭ Freshman

Compare Daniels and Bennett on third downs. WAKE UP, KIRBY!!

• Options
    DoubleDawg7476DoubleDawg7476 Posts: 15 ✭ Freshman

Let's be clear: No one questions Stetson Bennett's love of UGA or his desire to play. We question his level of talent. Kirby's fault, 100% for staying with Bennett. Kirby is way over paid now .... unless he shows an ability to start learning form his mistakes (CLUE: PLAY DANIELS!!!!), it's crazy to up his pay. Honoring his current contract pays an absurd amount!!! He's a great recruiter and a decent defensive coordinator .... he's getting top head coach pay. He needs to earn that.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2021

Not only was Mullen right, the comment from Jordan Roger’s was particularly damning. That defines Stetson as exactly what he is, a game manager. Take away the wide receiver screens from his stats (a play any third stringer can throw) and you will see a below average QB. Without play action, he cannot make tight window throws. We are hear about the great catches Bowers makes, but if those throws were in stride, the receptions would be routine.

If Monken leaves for the Duke job, we could do a whole lot worse than Mullen as OC.

• Options
    FalconUGAFanFalconUGAFan Posts: 141 ✭✭✭ Junior

Agree with everything you said, but DO NOT want Mullen on staff for any reason. Doubt he would come or offered anyway.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

Daniels was 1 for 11 on third down conversions against the only winning team he faced last year and this year he didn’t score a TD…not even one against Clemson….only a lone field goal. That’s it folk, JT gave us 3 points and 135 yards against a mediocre team. Your stats Mike were from games against losing teams. JT is not the answer.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

It was the biggest moment of the year (so far), and Smart's team produced what was by far its worst performance in a long time. Don't mistake what I say next as defense of the coaching.

I think the fourth down question is very nit picky. If they had kicked the field goal, and lost by 14, and there was an article written about that specific decision, we all know commenters would be coming out in droves to say it was "same old Kirby" being too conservative, playing not to lose, not having any killer instinct, yada yada yada. They'd be saying Metchie was out, we just got a stop, that was the time to take some decisive control over the game and Kirby blew it.

I'm not saying either position is right or wrong. I'm saying it's obvious that no one play call was going to make or break that game. There are plenty of things to criticize about how the game was handled. This is just pointless piling on.