Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

‘Wake-up call’ applies to conservative Kirby Smart, 41-24 SEC Championship Game loss to Alabama

13»

Comments

• KudzuKudzu Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

After reading this and the QB controversy article prior, I have come to the conclusion that Hemingway (the poster, not the author) is right: this was NOT on Stetson... at least not totally or even primarily.

The seven primary reasons, in rank order, IMHO:

1) A total defensive implosion: it happened early, and it was in every facet of the defense. The line, the LBs, the secondary overall... all were simply overwhelmed. No sacks, no INTs, no fumble recoveries... no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and you have to have lots of at least two of the three to beat 'Bama.

2) Kirby: his inflexibility was evident in the return from halftime. No apparent change in approach (maybe some fine tuning?), and while we drove SBIV to throw a lot more as the score started to run up, that appeared forced by 'Bama, not strategic. CKS's punting on 4th and 15 was what truly mystified me... it seemed like a giving up, when 9 minutes remained and we were going for it on 4th and 10. To me, the game was over right then, given UGA play to that point.

3) The O line collapse: Stetson was running for his life half the game. Honestly, I was surprised he pulled off some of the passes he actually did. This is where I differ with some of the SBIV/JT critics. I'm a huge JT fan. However, with a pocket that regularly collapsed and strong 'Bama secondary play, would JT have avoided the intense pressure? I'm skeptical.

4) UGA WR separation: there was none. Look back at the game if you recorded it, and compare the separation of 'Bama receivers to that of UGA's... it's night and day. SBIV had to throw into tighter windows than Bryce the entire game. I'm actually surprised he threw as well as he did, Bowers helping him handily... but still even Brock didn't get much separation, just a real animal at fending off defenders. Could JT have thrown into those windows better? If he had time, possibly... but unlikely given the O line performance.

5) In-season discipline off the field: losing two talented defensive players to (alleged) atrocious off the field actions is on the coaching staff, full stop. The defense needed all the help it could get Saturday. Nuff said on that one.

6) Stetson: He had a good passing day, and maybe even a very good day given his constantly having to scramble and the (#1 in the country to this point) defense doing him and the offense few favors. The INTs later in the game were symptoms of my first five points, and less worrisome to me; the early inaccurate throws (few as they were, but several on third down) WERE on Stetson, and left points on the field early.

7) An over-celebrated defense: "rat poison" for short, the Dawgs on both sides of the line came in happy and (over?)confident. It showed, and I really thought the "vibe" of the team appeared jubilant before even starting the game... there was just not a feeling of intensity from many early in the game with (in my eyes) the notable exception of SBIV, James Cook, Bowers, Nakobe, and a handful of others. The WHOLE TEAM needed to demonstrate that intensity all four quarters... they didn't.

I love this team and appreciate the great year they have given all of us. They are fine people and tremendously talented. I will never root against them, even after a frustrating loss like this. I've thought long and hard about which of the seven issues can be fixed in the near-term at UGA... or even longer-term. Clearly #5 can't be in the near-term. Does using JT to "fix" #6 work? Maybe. Can you beat 'Bama without at least 4-5 of the 7 being addressed, and aggressively so? No way.

Wishing all in Dawgnation a wonderful rest of the weekend (cheer up! 😁). Go Dawgs!

• DoubleDawg7476DoubleDawg7476 Posts: 15 ✭ Freshman

Yeah: Stetson Bennett played a Stetson Bennett game. With a healthy JD Daniels, Bennett should be on the bench, and not even the next-man-up. Seriously: We know the story of him whining to the coach, asking when's he going to play, and Kirby was guilted into putting him in? Any of the top 5 QBs could have had UGA 11-0 after Daniels got them by Clemson (CONSERVATIVE game plan then!). Vince Dooley PLAYED Ray Goff AND Matt Robinson; Goff was MVP and Robinson had a pro career. Kirby would not have let both play. The backs all rotate EXCEPT the QB??? Grrrr. Kirby knows defense: Jordan Davis plays half the time. Does anyone ANYONE doubt that Saban would have been playing Daniels? Saban would have won the game by playing Daniels ... if not the whole game, at least the second half. Kirby's a great recruiter; UGA had the talent in this game. The coaching cost us. If Bennett starts the next game, I'll have it on TV but will multi-task so I do not have to actively think about the best QB holding a clipboard with his helmet off. Daniels is clearly an A+ teammate .... too bad he has not guilted Kirby into playing him. Bench Bennett; he's had his run. Any of the other 4 QBs on the roster could be fine ... Daniels can take us back to 1980. Bottom line: Does ANYONE doubt who won the head coaching game yesterday??? PLAY JT DANIELS, KIRBY!!!

• DoubleDawg7476DoubleDawg7476 Posts: 15 ✭ Freshman

Yeah: Stetson Bennett played a Stetson Bennett game. With a healthy JD Daniels, Bennett should be on the bench, and not even the next-man-up. Seriously: We know the story of him whining to the coach, asking when's he going to play, and Kirby was guilted into putting him in? Any of the top 5 QBs could have had UGA 11-0 after Daniels got them by Clemson (CONSERVATIVE game plan then!). Vince Dooley PLAYED Ray Goff AND Matt Robinson; Goff was MVP and Robinson had a pro career. Kirby would not have let both play. The backs all rotate EXCEPT the QB??? Grrrr. Kirby knows defense: Jordan Davis plays half the time. Does anyone ANYONE doubt that Saban would have been playing Daniels? Saban would have won the game by playing Daniels ... if not the whole game, at least the second half. Kirby's a great recruiter; UGA had the talent in this game. The coaching cost us. If Bennett starts the next game, I'll have it on TV but will multi-task so I do not have to actively think about the best QB holding a clipboard with his helmet off. Daniels is clearly an A+ teammate .... too bad he has not guilted Kirby into playing him. Bench Bennett; he's had his run. Any of the other 4 QBs on the roster could be fine ... Daniels can take us back to 1980. Bottom line: Does ANYONE doubt who won the head coaching game yesterday??? PLAY JT DANIELS, KIRBY!!!

• IowadawgfanIowadawgfan Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

I agree it’s not all on Bennett ur right but all year long Bennett hasn’t thrown a single guy open .. he waits till there open and by then the defender gets on them so fast the receiver has to make a hell of a play .. Saban is the best in the game he new to pressure him and not worry bout throwing deep .. there could’ve easily been 2 more picks as well .. most of this blame is on smart which if you looked back over the years I’m a broken record .. his inability to change disguise or down right play to win has always cost us .. we were a much better team this year and face it our schedule wasn’t the hardest so we got by till Saban came along .. auburn Florida and A&M blitzed on almost every play .. 1 team won and the other 2 easily could’ve .. smart didn’t do it till the 2nd half and the defense only aloud 10pts .. no’s between Bennett inability and smart long time inability we were screwed .. and before you start voting down go look at some of our games and you will see what I’m talking about .. we get another shot this year so maybe things be different.. go dawgs merry Xmas dawgnation

Wake up call huh .. it’s bama we shouldn’t need a wake up call .. instead of worrying bout a wake up call .. stay awake and actually make some calls would you smart .. we can’t beat bama .. we had the best team possible and can’t even play the right guys .. best defensive front and can’t figure out a blitz .. you no those things auburn A&M and Florida were doin to win and almost win .. did you ever look at game film from those games.. I bet not .. smart is an excellent recruiter but head coach no way .. Saban will destroy smart every single time .. and the gsmes prove it

edited December 2021

Here’s my wake up call .. my blood pressure high my voice is gone I’m pissed st the world and next year I’ll do it all over again .. weather it’s losing to a weak opponent or never beating bama it’s always same .. at least if i were a vandy fan I no what’s up every year lol

• chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

News Flash! I read this Morning that Arch Manning has come up with his final four schools, and UGA was not one of them. Gee UGA was not one of them. I wonder why!

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow !! This is the most Reasonable and well thought out post I’ve read about Why the Dawgs failed as a TEAM. I applaud you !! You were able to set aside emotions for a moment and give a very reasonable analysis of why. Instead of joining the it’s ALL Stetson’s fault ( though he Did have failures to) squad. Well done !!

• Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bowers is an elite talent but Bennett has blinders on sometimes and looks for no receiver except Bowers.

That has to change.

• Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

A 30 line post and your too lazy to spell out Christmas? Yawn.

im glad the only thing you took from that post was to ridicule that i didnt spell out christmas ,thank you ,, must be the rat poison