Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Smart and playoff-bound Dawgs have some fixes, decisions to make

2»

Comments

• Options
    districtdawg5districtdawg5 Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

As many have said, this was a complete team loss. It’s hard to not be a little bitter after that mess yesterday.

My LSU friend was watching the game with me and couldn’t understand why Kirby didn’t put JT in, even at the end of the game, to at least see what he could do. I think it is possible, but unlikely that Stetson can have the kind of game to take down the Tide.

You also have to ask - how did we get here? Even if Stetson is our best shot at QB, and JT isn’t looking great in practice, you’re telling me that NONE of the QBs in that room can function at a higher level than what we saw yesterday? If that’s true, that’s a sobering statement about the coaches’ ability to develop players throughout the course of the year(s).

And I don’t even know what to say about the defense.

What I (peanut gallery) hope to see in the Orange Bowl:

1. JT start. If he struggles, they can always put Bennett back in. But I think they should give JT a shot, and put a chip on Bennett’s shoulder - I think he functions better that way anyway.
    2. Defense needs to return to form. Bennett is easy to focus on because he’s one man. The entire defensive unit needs to play better and you could write a 10,000 word essay on that.
    3. Energy. This is usually a cop-out from sports journalists, but our entire sideline looked completely flat yesterday. Where was the emotion? That speaks to leadership if you ask me - the senior players need to get guys fired up.
    4. If we play Bama again, bring more pressure and be more creative about it. We ran a lot of delayed blitzes and I don’t think they worked very well.
    5. Rotations. I don’t know the numbers (DawgNation staff?) but I would be curious about how much the Dawgs rotated guys at a number of position groups (WR, RB, D line) - I know that keeps people fresh, but don’t you want your best people on the field? And does it mess with the players’ ability to get into a rhythm? I don’t have the snap counts from yesterday, so I don’t know to what extent that was a factor, but it’s been on my mind.

I’ll leave it at that for now because my wife is sitting next to me and laughing at me lol.

GO DAWGS

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

Yes, aside from the obvious intrinsic reasons, I'm hoping we get past Michigan specifically to get this rematch. Some are pessimistic that it will just be the same result, and I really do get that. But even granting that that very well could be the case, I want to see this season whether any progress has been made in getting over this hump. We've always had to wait at least a season to see what comes of the next crack at Bama. I want to see what Kirby et al do knowing that they have to address the deficiencies now, with the very same team. You know, without a season's worth of games and opportunities to get complacent, or for things to kind of reset with player turnover etc., before the next opportunity for redemption. I'm curious to see if that will make any difference. If we see the same problems with the exact same team, we will know it was purely a failure to adapt.

• Options
    Ga247Ga247 Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Thank you Kudzu! I've said in other posts this morning that there is no way Kirby Smart allows JT to stand on the sidelines if he truly believed putting him in the game would help in winning. It simply makes no sense. None of us know what Kirby Smart and that coaching staff knows. There are other issues somewhere that we, as fans, are not aware of. Things are not always as simple as they seem when you're sitting in the stands or at home watching the game.

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Defense took too long to adjust but lack of points in the red zone, throwing picks and should have been 2 other pricks, missing open receivers was not the defense. 14 point is not enough

• Options
    deputydogdeputydog Posts: 132 ✭✭✭ Junior

People need to stop. When the talent level is even, then you have to execute. From day one a Bennett lead offense has left points on the field. Nobody is directly blaming Bennett for the loss but he contributed to the loss. If Bama could catch, he would have thrown 4 interceptions yesterday and the pick 6 was a killer. You are not going to beat Bama last night or in the future if you cannot pressure the QB. You have to ask how was it that Auburn and LSU could pressure him and we could not.

• Options
    DawgOnTheBeachDawgOnTheBeach Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

The reason for the loss is simple. it wasn’t the defense or the offense — it was the “black!” Kirby wore a black shirt and a black visor. We learned a long time ago that you don’t wear black against the Tide!! Lighten up folks, the Dawgs are still alive and Kirby wants to win more than anyone else.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Excellent synopsis and analysis Bill. Best article that I've read so far on WHY we laid an egg yesterday.

We can debate this ad nauseum and until the cows come home, but the simple FACT of the matter is the Georgia Bulldogs will NOT win a National Championship with Stetson Bennett at QB. Stet is an average to - at times - above average QB but he is definitely not ELITE. If you look at the National Champions during the playoff years, every single one of the winners had an elite QB. If JT Daniels doesn't play some significant time then we will lose. I love Stet, and he actually matches up pretty well with McNamara of Michigan (who is also an average to above average QB). Neither QB is a great QB but they are pretty decent passers who can run if need be. BUT, we won't beat Bama if we have to play them again with Stetson Bennett (and something tells me Bama will be in the Championship game).

Our defense was atrocious yesterday. No sacks, no turnovers, mostly ineffective pass rush, and as you said, blown coverages in the secondary after giving Bryce Young too much time to throw too many times. Heck, they didn't even have Metchie in the lineup any during the 2nd half, and they still whipped us.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You nailed it again Bill, with another great article.. GoDAWGS!

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

The coaches got out coached and the players got out played.

Going forward, you cannot count on the defense to shut down teams any longer. To win championships you have to have a QB that can use his arm to bring the team back when down. Yesterday at any point in time Young was capable of making one throw downfield to get a TD. Admit it to yourself or not but when we were down 14 points you didn't believe we were coming back with Bennett at QB, Bennett is what he is. The coaches see it and the fans see it. Bennett played as well as he is capable. The question is why the coaches think he gives us the best chance to win.

• Options
    Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirbys gonna start Stetson again, so ain’t nothing gettin corrected. We have a fun regular season anyway.

• Options
    MacroDawgMacroDawg Posts: 50 ✭✭ Sophomore

Yes, you have a point, but that was the wrong time to be that aggressive. It was mid third quarter (so lot of time left) and the field goal would have brought the deficit down to 11 points and probably change the momentum of the game. Going on that 4th down reeked of desperation. Kirby always make those bad decisions at the wrong time like that fake field goal against Alabama some years ago. At least he could have taken a timeout before going for the 4th if he deemed it that important of a play.

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sad about the outcome of this game but realizing it will be hard for BAMA to beat this team twice - Kirby and crew will get this thing fixed!!

• Options
    honeylabhoneylab Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

In response to districtdawg5’s 3rd point on energy, I agree. I watched part of the Baylor game Saturday. Their players were rocking that sideline in support of the guys on the field. It’s such a pleasure to watch

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

A QB completes 60% of his passes, for 340 yards and 3 TDs, with a Pic6, another Int when the receiver inexplicably stops 2 yards from where the ball was on target. All against the now Number 1 team in the nation. If JT Daniels had that stat line, we all would be fine with his game, even in a loss. But since SBIV was the QB, we wrongly ignore the stat line and even try to blame him for the loss.

I think I will blame the HC for a foolish defense scheme, and the O-Line and D-Line for playing a game like they didn't have to win. Except for the sore-footed Jamaree Salyer who man-handled the best defensive player in America, even when he didn't get a little help.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree, Bennett wasn’t the only reason Georgia lost. However, does our defense have to play a perfect game because our offense can’t keep pace with an elite QB? We entered the game (played the entire season) knowing that Stetson makes bad decisions, that he doesn’t have an elite arm, that he is slow going through progressions and locks in on receivers. Knowing this, we entered the game without the ability to pass to catch up. That makes it near impossible to come back to win if defense doesn’t fire on all cylinders.

If JT was good enough to start over Stet to begin the season, why are we using Stet now when JT is healthy? I don’t know why Kirby would not even play JT in garbage time—that is my frustration with the QB situation. This is Kirby ball— he needs to rethink his offensive philosophy.