Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football players on facing Michigan: ‘We’ve got to take what’s ours’

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited December 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football players on facing Michigan: ‘We’ve got to take what’s ours’

Georgia football will look to rebound against the Michigan Wolverines

Read the full story here

Comments

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That Nolan Smith look is the team I wanted to see play Saturday.

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We will know on December 31 whether this team is the real deal, or just pretenders. GO DAWGS!!!! The Dawg Nation is behind you 100%! 😎

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kconnorriley Always enjoy your articles. I am glad we are able to comment on this one. Often, due to some sort of site error, we can’t comment on your posts. Just FYI.

Go Dawgs!

• khummelkhummel Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

That was what seemed so unique about this team (until Bama happened) and gave fans such high hopes of beating every team the Dawgs faced this year .. they finally didn't NEED wake-up calls.... they were focused and on a mission, and had the resources to execute on it. Of course, we discovered that's not the case in last weekend's across-the-board beat down.

We still have those same capable players. If they can get their heads collectively laser-focused, and the coaches construct/enable a really good gameplan, this team can still go the distance. Those are some pretty big IFs that remain to be seen, but I look forward to finding out! Go Dawgs!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With the stakes and who they were playing, UGA shouldn't have needed any wake up calls. CKS and CDL need to figure out how to get pressure on the Bama QB. Bama OL won the game. Also scrap the zone pass D. Bama WR's were running open all over the field. Defense Rule #1: see a ball on the ground JUMP on it. Don't try to pick it up (NSmith) ESPECIALLY in a close game. When SBIV got pressured in the 2ndQ and threw the checkdown to Cook in the right flat into the ground, and CKS didn't start warming up JTD, I knew it was over.

• Billy21Billy21 Posts: 195 ✭✭✭ Junior

Makes me feel more confident about this team when team leaders step up and speak ahead of coaches about they need to accomplish. I'd imagine that these guys will be running a tight ship from now until the end of the playoff season. Also an important and crucial part about that, it is setting the tone for these younger guys and they know they have to live up to that standard creating some normalcy in the culture of the program. Easier said then done of course, because you've seen Bama lose that perspective at times but it something that must be established to have a dominate and consistent program.

Looking forward to what's to come over the next few weeks in preparation for Michigan.

• Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why is everybody so surprised? Receivers have been running wide open all year bad qbs have just been missing dem there should have been a JT shootout plan all along. Nobody is stopping bama and those nfl caliber receivers fight fire with fire or game manage us into another we got this next year situation

• PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Metchie is out and have to focus on Williams-Alabama is not unbeatable heck Texas A&M did beat them. Our game plan **** on both sides of the ball and that is on Kirby. We match up well against Michigan and should prevail to set up round 2 for it all.

• GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, we can do this. Alabama is not perfect. They are a great team for sure. But A&M beat them, Auburn had them on the ropes, and Florida and Kentucky played really well against them. Georgia has to prep for Michigan, have their way with the Wolverines and move forward to slay Alabama. They see the mission before them - they will not be surprised this time. Our best vs. their best. Let's go get that Natty!

• GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That Nolan Smith look is the team I wanted to see play Saturday. - VetDawg

That IS a pic from Saturday.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is all good talk -- but right now, that is all it is, talk! We'll see if the Dawgs are able to back it up. Everyone knows what they NEED to do; the issue is CAN they do it? We hope they can. Go Dawgs!

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The problem is that Smart will allow this thinking as if the players just weren't "ready" to play Bama. Look, lets be honest here - if we were to play Bama this Saturday again, it would be the same result. The same. freaking. result.

The "wake up call" isn't for the players. Did they make mistakes? Sure, but it wasn't like they were playing flat-footed and overconfident. The "wake up call" is needed for the coaches. I need Smart to say "Guys, I f'ed up. I didn't adapt. We should've had a different strategy."

There isn't a single person (fan, coach, analyst, etc) that is saying that we should start Bennett again. Nobody. Not when you have a proven talent in JT and a hotshot Freshman behind him. But everybody here knows which QB will start if Smart gets his way. And the problem is that if JT DOES start, not only is he still "rusty" (because we couldn't be bothered to put him in even in blowout games) but it'd be because of outside pressure and JT will be setup to fail.

I'm going to keep saying this - our losses have come over the years because the other teams prepared TO PLAY US instead of just preparing. If we lose, it'll be because Michigan is adapting to play us and we still just to do it the "Georgia way". Saban was the reason that Bama got their crap together after the Auburn game and he did that in a week. We have several weeks to prepare to play Michigan.

If Bennett starts, the crowd is going to boo. I'm not going to be happy about that, but it's the truth because Georgia fans at home will be cursing at their TV set too and even the announcers will be very surprised (and not in a good way). That is not how you want the playoff game to start. That's deflating for the team.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Williams and Young beat UGA again....something is radically wrong and maybe cannot be fixed with current players/coaches. I do not believe Bama is invincible. Auburn does not have players of UGA talent level yet they took it to Bama for over 3 quarters....so did A&M, and beat them. What concerns me is the magnitude of the beat down UGA took on defense. UGA did not look better than Vandy at times out there. Wide open Bama receivers waiting for easy catches. I am still appalled......employing a zone defense? This is more than a wake-up call. Very poor coaching decisions overall. I hope UGA can focus on Michigan and not Bama. I am being frank, Michigan is really tough, especially of late....they are peaking. They are stoked to beat UGA. The Dawgs cannot let up...get after them and early and keep the pressure on the QB. Cut off the ends. Pinch them inward. Very physical battle. Bennett cannot miscue or have mental lapses, as he said. Not much more to say. Bennett is evenly matched with MI QB...one ray of hope.

The real UGA will show up Dec. 31....then we will know. I am being very conservative.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

@UGA66...Couldn't agree more. I mean how do we lay such a BIG egg in the SEC Championship??? How is that possible? I'm still trying to wrap my head around it, and yes, I am concerned on both sides of the ball. Really concerned that we fell that far in a single week. No sacks, minimal pass rush, interceptions, false starts at the goal line, miscommunication between receivers and Stet, 3/12 on 3rd downs (has been an issue all year), dropped balls, easy completions by Young, etc.

Maybe we just aren't Championship material. We're definitely not as good as we thought.

People may want to gloss over our issues, but we've got to seriously evaluate what the heck happened. And honestly, how do you prevent it happening again?

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks...I am with you MontanaDawg.....always enjoy your insight. I cannot believe UGA simply crumbled under Bama pressure. Zone? Bennett third down in the red zone...almost zip? What is going on? Kelee Ringo was simply out run..not the first time this has happened. Young completed passes with no red jersys in sight?

This lump from a 12-0 SEC team? UGA game plan way off mark. Did not take Bama seriously.