Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

SEC legend Tim Tebow: Georgia needs ‘elite quarterback play to get over the hump’

Comments

• Options
    dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

"QB isn't the key to anybody's National Championship" - this is how you show that you don't understand what you're talking about. Please, before offer another comment, take a quick look at every national champion team in this modern era. 100% have a dynamic, game-changing QB.

On a separate point, am a bit tired of Bowers catching blame for the TD in the endzone. It is wholly clear that Brock didn't give up on his route, he was settling down to "sit" in a hole in the coverage. Further, every time Bennett turns to the sideline with his hands out as if to say, "What happened? Why can't the receivers run the right routes?," it is always, always, always from his bad read or inaccurate throw. I cannot believe that the team is behind him when his first reaction is to blame someone else for his mistakes. Leaders always take the blame for the bad (especially when its actually theirs) and always give credit to others for the good. Bennett, not so much.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Murray watched the coaches’ tape, as well as the game. I don’t know what credentials you have, but, unless you are a former top rated college QB or an SEC head coach, I am going to have to give Murray’s assessment (which is consistent with my own after watching the game three times) more weight than your own. 😉

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bowers definitely gave up on his route…and Bennett threw where he expected Bowers to be had he not inexplicably stopped running. I watched that play at least 10 times…

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

I love the way folks bash Hemingway when he’s totally correct. Some of you guys just can’t handle the truth and want to blame everything on Bennett. Over and over I’m hearing we would have won with a Heisman type QB like JT so put this in your pipe and smoke it:

Bennett scored 24 points (lost by 17), 61% completions, threw 3 TDs, 2 INTs and 340 yards and had 30 first downs

Justin Fields scored 24 points in the (2021)NC game against Bama (lost by 28 points), 51% completions, threw 1TD, 0 INTs, 194 yards and 19 first downs

Trevor Lawrence scored 25 points in the (2020) NC game vs LSU (lost by 16 points), 48% completions, 234 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, 23 first downs and 9% of his 3rd down conversions (1 for 11)

Tua scored 16 points in the (2019) NC game vs Clemson (lost by 28 points), 63% completions, 295 yards, 2TDs and 2 INTs, 23 first downs and converted only 3 out of 13 third downs

YEP, REALLY LOOKS LIKE HEISMAN QUALITY QBs WOULD PERFORM BETTER!!! P.S. That’s 3 TDs for Bennett in 1 game and a grand total of 3 TDs for Fields, Tua and Lawrence combined in 3 games, but certainly they aren’t quality QBs like some of you are yapping about…..good grief guys, don’t let the truth and facts get in your way!!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ispoke on here about SB 's demeanor on Monday. He gets flustered and it shows. Young you can't tell if he's ahead or behind.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

Holy cow. Completely agree with Tebow. This is the first article really breaking down the MULTIPLE reasons why Stet just isn't the guy to win the Natty for us. I mean Stet was SO confused at the coverage Saturday, throwing interceptions, throwing to a guy like Bowers multiple times when he wasn't even open, not able to be on the same page with his receivers, and simply unable to throw the deep ball to our top receivers.

It's not like Stet just walked on the field. The guy has been the starting QB for weeks now. He was just out of his comfort zone and WAY beyond his abilities Saturday.

Folks, we can't depend on our Defense playing lights out to try and cover up our deficiencies and limitations at QB. And I honestly think that's what Kirby's game plan appears to be. As Saban has said multiple times, in today's game you can't just have a Championship level defense...

Amen Tim Tebow.

• Options
    edited December 2021

In my post below I failed to mention how incredibly frustrated Trevor Lawrence, Tua and Justin Fields were in their respective games. I clearly remember them doing the EXACT same gestures Bennett was doing, but those 3 Heisman candidates and winners looked more battered by the 4th quarter than Bennett.

• Options
    edited December 2021

So Tebow says we need “elite” play by our QB? Hmmmm, I wonder how he explains this…..maybe the definition of “elite” changes according to the point you are trying to make….so here’s a fun comparison to demonstrate how QBs can have similar stats and different outcomes based on how the rest of the team performs….including the defense:

Tebow vs Bennett

2009 Championship game: Florida scored 24 points against Oklahoma (sound familiar?) and won by 10 points. Tebow hit 60% of his passes for 231 yards, 2 TDs and 2 INTs and 24 first downs

2021 SEC Championship game: Georgia scored 24 points, and lost by 17 points. Bennett hit 60% of his passes for 340 yards, 3 TDs, 2 INTs and 30 first downs

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”

Albert Einstein

Quit trying to prop-up Bennett. It's results that matter. He's had his chances. Time to give the ball to JTD.

• Options

@BubbaBill...you are comparing apples and oranges when looking at the college football game and how it has evolved from Tebow's time. I mean seriously. Just look at the National Champions in the last 5 years and every single one of those teams had an elite - if not Heisman level - QB. Every single one. As Saban said, the game has changed and your offense needs to be as potent or very competent just like a Championship defense needs to be. You need both.

• Options

I totally agree and that’s why my first post today (around 8:30) addressed how over the past 3 NC games, Bennett performed better than 3 Heisman candidates/winners (ie Tua, Justin and Trevor). Please take a second to read that post. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    JimBobDeweyJimBobDewey Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

UGA Quarterbacks do no throw the ball that much during the season. It's not who Georgia is. They're a ground and pound wear you out type of team. They are the master's of the East Division. However, when they have to score 45 points and throw the ball 40 times they usually don't win. They're not accustomed to that type of offense. If you want UGA offense to be a competitive team in the post-season you are going to have to play the way it takes to win in the post-season. In other words the offense needs to throw the ball 35-40 times in every game so that our guys have the reps to respond to that when needed. Just sayin'!

Love the Dawgs!

#DawgForLife

#HBTFD

• Options

It's all on Kirby. His scheme and personnel selection and prep was all faulty.

The question at hand should be whether or not Kirby can make the transition to a championship head coach? He can start by demonstrating that he can make the right adjustments at the right time when his original plan isn't working.

At this juncture, I'm not sure he's got it in him. I am sure that I wouldn't pay him a $100 million contract extension to find out.

• Options
  • Options
    87Dawg_1187Dawg_11 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

The SEC Championship was loss in preparation, not on game day. Kirby and his staff tried to impose their will on Alabama instead of game planning to take advantage of Alabama's weaknesses. UGA was/is the more talented team except at one position, QB. Texas A&M, Arkansas, Auburn exposed Alabama's weaknesses and UGA tried to do what was successful for 12 weeks against lesser talent. The good news is they may get another opportunity, the bad news is Kirby has shown he can beat an equal or more talented team.

• Options

@BubbaBill...I think you misunderstood what I was saying. You're comparing statistics of QBs that lost their games. And when Tebow was running his offense he didn't need to pass as much in the style of play that was going on in 2009. Most teams were still pounding the running game. Can you imagine a team only passing for 231 yards (like Tebow did) and winning the National Championship today? It would never happen.

And on your earlier post at 8:30am - Did you look at the Stats for the QBs that won? Much more yardage and much higher completion rates for the QBs that won the NC. Comparing Stet at a 60% completion rate to all the losing QBs in the playoffs doesn't make much sense to me. And the issue with Stet is so much more than statistics. You can't just look at stats. It's his decision making and accuracy that are limiting.

My point in this whole thing is that Stetson has a limited ceiling on his abilities. Monken has a limited playbook that he can use with Stetson. He's said that before. He doesn't have a limited playbook with JT Daniels.

There must be something going on behind the scenes with either JT's injury or something else. It makes no sense that he has seen virtually no playing time at all since he has supposedly recovered from his lat pull.

• Options

Tebow threw 30 times, completed 60% of his passes and had 2 interceptions…….and that was in a game where you say he didn’t have to pass as much which makes his poor performance even more outrageous since he didn’t have to force the passing game. Thanks for the “assist” in making my point. As far as my comments about Tua, Justin and Trevor….you are 100% correct and that’s my entire point. Stetson was light years better than any of them in the big game and all of them lost…..so why do you and others think Stetson was so bad when he was better than 3 Heisman winners/finalists?